Currently Online

Latest Posts

Topic: Ability to change scroll speed

Lars_Krimi

Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2009-04-15, 20:56

It would be very nice if it was possible to change the scroll speed of the game window.

Although I can use the map to jump to any point on the map (the map isalso very little, would be nice if you couldmake the map window bigger), usually I would scroll, and it seems a bit slow, so the option of modifying it to your own needs would be nice.

Top Quote
Magor

Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2009-04-16, 08:35

It would be very nice if it was possible to change the scroll speed of the game window.

I'll second that. Maybe cursor keys in combination with shift for advancing at three or four times the normal distance?

Yours, Magor

Top Quote
Lars_Krimi

Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2009-04-16, 13:46

Sounds like a good way to do it to me.

Top Quote
SirVer

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2009-04-16, 18:14

Ok, so head over and file a feature request (second best option) or implement it (best option)!

It would really be nice to post bug reports and feature requests on the widelands site itself.... Making us independent of sf.net.

Top Quote
Lars_Krimi

Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2009-04-17, 14:20

Uhm... this is the Widelands forum for suggestions for features in the game right?

this is on the Widelands site... so...

"It would really be nice to post bug reports and feature requests on the widelands site itself.... Making us independent of sf.net."

Aren't that what we are doing by posting feature requests/suggestions for improvements?

I would have implemented if I could, but got no programming skills.

Top Quote
Nasenbaer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2009-04-17, 14:39

actually we have an official bug and feature request tracker - it was directly linked on the old site, but not often used by the users, as they needed to register on sf.net for posting a feature request or a bugreport.

Generally it would be better if we would only support ONE tracker for feature requests and bugs, as at the moment a lot feature requests and bug reports are double or even tribble posted - and that adds a lot of work for us developers.

Top Quote
Lars_Krimi

Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2009-04-18, 13:48

So what you are saying is that this suggestions site should not be used and we should post directly on SF? Or should we keep on posting here and make a double on SF? Or skip SF entirely and only post here?

Top Quote
Nasenbaer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2009-04-18, 14:19

well face-grin.png

I don't know - but I posted a request so I hope soon we'll get a tracker directly here on wl.widelands.org - so you can directly post them in the tracker - without a new registration or whatever face-smile.png

But well that's still future talk face-wink.png

until than you of course might write it to the forums - still better than not writing your ideas face-smile.png

Top Quote
Lars_Krimi

Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2009-04-18, 16:42

Aye sir! face-tongue.png

Top Quote
Magor

Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2009-04-18, 22:29

Nasenbaer wrote: actually we have an official bug and feature request tracker - it was directly linked on the old site, but not often used by the users, as they needed to register on sf.net for posting a feature request or a bugreport.

Having the bug tracker at sf.net is both good and bad. Good: sf.net offers a well-maintained bugtracker system, widely accepted in the community. No need for anyone in this project to be distracted by the need to maintain a bugtracker. Bad: You need to have a separate login at sf.net. Unless there is someone in the widelands community who is good at maintaining and managing such a tracker, I think it is better to stay as is (i.e. at sf.net)

Generally it would be better if we would only support ONE tracker for feature requests and bugs, as at the moment a lot feature requests and bug reports are double or even tribble posted - and that adds a lot of work for us developers.

One should distinguish between bug reports and feature requests. Bug reports should go into a tracker system, thats for sure. Everyone wants bugs to be fixed. But feature requests are a different thing. Some might like a proposed feature, some might not, and the developers might add information like easy / medium / hard / impossible to implement.

A bug tracker with a voting system for feature requests might be a good idea for this problem, but one would need a manager and maintainer for this system, so we are back at the point above.

I agree that having to follow the discussion, the mailing list and the bug tracker is cumbersome to say at least, but which should we abandon? A bug tracker must stay, it is vital for professional development. The mailing list allows for attachments, but spreading all discussions without discrimination between different topics (documentation, game engine, scenarios, etc) might be problematic when the traffic increases. The discussion system might be a good way to replace the mailing list on the long run, but it needs some improvements like attachments or the ability to perform polls (or at least a simple pro/against voting system for toptics in some forums.

Yours, Magor

Top Quote