Latest Posts

Topic: Wares Icon size

chuckw
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-03-15, 19:13

Let's take a comparative look at the images in question. The first stone and marble images are from the empire tribe. The first image is the "idle.png" and the second image is the "menu.png". (Flickr's conversion from png to jpg results in some undesired artifacts that will not appear in the game.)

stone: stone idle stone menu
marble: marble idle marble menu
iron: iron idle iron menu
Barbarian rawstone: rawstone idle rawstone menu
Atlantean stone: stone idle stone menu

Personally, I think there is sufficient distinction between the iron and stones, but for giggles face-smile.png let's see how the iron might look if left out in the rain.
iron2: iron2 idle iron2 menu and here is the gold ingot again gold idle gold menu

Let's hear your thoughts.

EDIT: I cannot account for the double imaging in the marble idle image.
EDIT2: Added the gold ingot for comparison.

Edited: 2011-03-15, 22:58

I see little people.

Top Quote
Astuur
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-03-16, 08:37

I agree with your opinion, Chuck, meaning that I find it easy to tell ingots apart from stones.
If indeed we want to have a tint for the iron, I'd rather go for a blueish one, like what you get if iron is exposed to high temperature.
The red color somehow immediately lets me think of copper, even if that is not used in the game.

Being no programmer, I apologize for all my suggestions that imply undue workload and for other misjudgements due to lack of expertise or relevant skills.
I am on Win32, have no means to compile, and rely on prefabricated distributions (Thanks to Tino).

Top Quote
SirVer

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-03-16, 09:36

I agree, they are indeed recognizable. So, name change or no name change?

Top Quote
Astuur
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-03-16, 13:18

Changing the name should be done IMO since it is the clearer term, and I feel that it could help with referring to the ware in documentation, online help or with answering questions in the forum. I would have liked to let new users who make first contact with WL build 16 profit from the clarification. But if the feature freeze forbids including the ingots, bitmap and name, now, they will come with some bzr after this and to a greater audience with build 17. I should have proposed this earlier - sorry

But if you or the up-to-now-silent-majority decide otherwise, then that's also fine with me.

Being no programmer, I apologize for all my suggestions that imply undue workload and for other misjudgements due to lack of expertise or relevant skills.
I am on Win32, have no means to compile, and rely on prefabricated distributions (Thanks to Tino).

Top Quote
chuckw
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-03-16, 21:32

Does anyone have an objection to implementing the ingot images WITHOUT a name change?

Speak now or forever hold your peace. face-wink.png

If no objections are posted by 23 March, I will install "Chuck's" images for all three tribes into build 16.
Otherwise I think this discussion should be tabled until after release of Build 16.

I see little people.

Top Quote
Venatrix
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2011-03-16, 22:16

I don’t think, a name change is in need. I just have to agree with Astuur, that a reddish ingot reminds more of copper than iron. I just don’t know, what colour would be better…

Two is the oddest prime.

Top Quote
chuckw
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-03-17, 15:07

I played with some coloring for the iron ingot. (I also found an image hoster, http://postimage.org/ , who doesn't alter your uploaded files if that is your preference.)
So, in all of their glory, here again are the existing stone and marble images (idle/menu) as PNGs and as they would appear in the game.
Atlant stone: Atl stone idle Atl stone menu, Emp marble: Emp marble idle Emp marble menu, Empire stone: Emp stone idle Emp stone menu, Barb rawstone Barb rawstone idle Barb rawstone menu

Now the candidates for the iron, assuming the gold gold idle gold menu is acceptable: face-smile.png
Iron1: iron idle iron menu, Iron2: iron2 idle iron2 menu, Iron3: iron3 idle iron3 menu, Iron4: iron4 idle iron4 menu
Note: If you wish, you can copy these images and try them in the game yourself! (I haven't fine-tuned the hotspot yet, so if you come up with a set of coordinates that seem to work okay, let me know!.)

Personally, I feel rusty old "Iron3" too closely resembles wood.
So, I would rank the iron images 1,4,2,3. (edit):with 1=best

How would YOU rank them?

Or do you wish to suggest something else? face-wink.png

Edited: 2011-03-17, 15:13

I see little people.

Top Quote
Fopper

Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2011-03-17, 15:22

My ranking: 2,3,1,4 (I do not see the blue as iron)

Top Quote
Venatrix
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2011-03-17, 16:12

My rank is 1,2. 3 and 4 are both placed fourth. face-wink.png

Two is the oddest prime.

Top Quote
SirVer

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-03-17, 17:16