Latest Posts

Topic: Where can i find the graphics files used by the game??

svalan

Topic Opener
Ranking
Just found this site
Posted at: 2011-02-19, 21:21

Hi.

I would like to try polishing some of the resource icons a bit (mainly shading icons that are in just one color) and see if you like it better. Is it possible to download all the graphics somewhere?

Top Quote
Nasenbaer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-02-20, 09:46

Hi svalan,

we've got an extra project for storing and working on our graphics and sounds. You can find it at https://launchpad.net/widelands-media - clicking on code should bring you to the media repository. Another source for Informations for you could be the GraphicsDevelopment page in our wiki.

Cheers Nasenbaer

Top Quote
svalan

Topic Opener
Ranking
Just found this site
Posted at: 2011-02-20, 11:19

Thank you for helpful answer.

I see now that someone has started making 3D blender versions of the resources... will those be put into the game? Is the goal to make everything in blender? face-smile.png

Top Quote
chuckw
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-02-21, 05:57

svalan wrote: I see now that someone has started making 3D blender versions of the resources... will those be put into the game? Is the goal to make everything in blender?

Hi, svalan! Not every graphic element in the game has to be made in Blender, but certainly every "real" object on the game board (animals, buildings, etc.) if it is to be easily rendered and maintained, should have a 3D model as its source. Especially if the object is to be animated, a 3D model is then required. Blender is the 3D modelling tool of choice for the Widelands project. The use of this common open source tool allows for consistency and manageability across the images.

Don't let that dissuade you from trying to improve some element. We are always open for fresh ideas and perspectives. So pick something out you'd like to change, even if someone else may already be working on it, and let's see what YOU come up with. I invite you to look through Wideland's wiki for references to graphic development and getting started as a developer to get an understanding of our project environment. Feel welcome to post any questions here in the forum, the IRC Chat, or in a message to me directly.

Thanks for your interest in Widelands and welcome to the Widelands community!

I see little people.

Top Quote