Currently Online

Latest Posts

Topic: When do soldiers occupy conquered buildings when are they burnt down?

Astuur
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2010-05-30, 14:29

I have noticed lately that sometimes enemy military sites are not occupied by my soldiers (as usual) but instead they burn down.
Especially small ones seem to rather burn.
What does it depend on?

Being no programmer, I apologize for all my suggestions that imply undue workload and for other misjudgements due to lack of expertise or relevant skills.
I am on Win32, have no means to compile, and rely on prefabricated distributions (Thanks to Tino).

Top Quote
ixprefect

Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2010-05-30, 14:48

Enemy buildings are always occupied by your soldiers, unless doing so would cause conflicts in terrain ownership. If your enemy has two military sites right next to each other, and you conquer one of them, then if you afterwards were to own that military site, there wouldn't be enough empty space between those two buildings to draw the border. In this case, the building you just conquered is destroyed.

If you're familiar with Settlers 2, you might remember that you are forbidden to build military sites close to each other in that game. I'm fairly certain that what you're seeing here is the reason why they made that decision in Settlers 2. We opted instead to allow you to build as many military sites as you like, but if a conflict with borders were to arise, the conquered military site has to go.

Top Quote
Astuur
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2010-05-30, 17:27

Thanks for your comprehensive explanation, ixprefect. I am still playng the "sun of fire" map -- so these kinds of space problems are likely to occur. I'm glad WL chose to solve the problem the way it is now. The limitation in Settler that you mentioned was quite annoying.

Being no programmer, I apologize for all my suggestions that imply undue workload and for other misjudgements due to lack of expertise or relevant skills.
I am on Win32, have no means to compile, and rely on prefabricated distributions (Thanks to Tino).

Top Quote
vellon

Ranking
Just found this site
Posted at: 2011-02-04, 14:11

I've been playing widelands for some days now. But I've never experience that enemy buildings were conquered. They are always burnt down. Is there any bug in the Ubuntu-version I don't know about? Or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks for any help!

Edit: I solved the puzzle already. I'd used an older version of widelands. With the new version there are quite a lot of improvements.

Thanks!

Edited: 2011-02-05, 12:14

Top Quote
Nasenbaer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-02-05, 12:17

Hi vellon,

seems you've got an old version installed - Conquering of military sites was introduced with Build15 I think - best upgrade to a newer version (Check the DownloadPage face-smile.png )

Top Quote
vellon

Ranking
Just found this site
Posted at: 2011-02-05, 13:01

Hi Nasenbaer,

I did just that yesterday evening. Thank you.

Strangely the version was build15 as well as in the "old" as in the downloaded version.

Top Quote