Latest Posts

Topic: widelands promotionnal video

trimard
Topic Opener
Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2009-04-05, 19:05

(don't knew where to put this topic sorry)

I never saw any topic about a promotional video. I know this game play video from Geodomus:

part1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBnGevIdUzI

part2http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhvIelt0Ers

Bus as I said, it is a game play video... So here is an idea for a possible promotional video(it's just a test, graphics are ugly, I know^^):

• start

• text: "Humans became humans as soon as they started to build buildings. They grouped themselves in tribes, ...

• movements

-slow apparition of the name of the tribe

-the different objects come form every direction

atllogo

• movements

-the two axes come from left and right.

-the head come from the top

-the star come from nowhere

barlogo

• movements

-the two swords come from left and right

• note: this image is completely unfinished

emplogo

• middle

• text: "... and now they are looking for more resources. ..."

• movements

-the hand is closing on the small wares

hand

• end

• text "... Now, there is no other way, but to conquer more land and expand further for more wares..."

• movements

1 sec of this image (water moving and maybe some wind)

paysage1

another transition image

1 sec of this image (water moving and maybe some wind)

paysage2

• text: "These lands are wide..."

• screen Peaceful land

• text "But can any land be wide enough for the ever growing hunger for expansion? "

• music with a lot of drive starts

• screen shadows of people fighting

• stop

• screen black

• text "you decide"

• movement apparition of the widelands's logo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87o2obwIgZ0

Yes I know some houses are totally strange Yes I know the text supid ==> It's a test! Ok now am I open to ANY suggestions thanks by advance.

Edited: 2009-04-05, 22:03

Top Quote
Ex-Member
Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2009-04-05, 20:37

Humans became humans as soon as they started to build buildings. They grouped themselves in tribes, ...

... and now they are looking for more resources. ...

... Now, there is no other way, but to conquer more land and expand further for more wares...

... but the land has its limits...

I made few corrections, although I couldn't think up of something better for the last sentence. The third part is changed the most, from the last I just changed it's first part, because as I said I couldn't think up of anything else. But still, I might have got an idea tomorrow, and if I will, then I'll write it here

@EDIT: And forgot to add: great piece of work!

Edited: 2009-04-05, 20:39

Top Quote
SirVer

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2009-04-05, 21:41

This shall be interesting. Keep it coming face-wink.png

As the very last sentence, I could imagine something like

These lands are wide... <Peacefull land image>But can any land be wide enough for the ever growing hunger for expansion? <music with a lot of drive starts, some action, all ends with a black screen and gentle music>You decide...<fade to black>insert logotest movie here with a matching sound effect.

face-wink.png Nice work so far!

!SirVer

Top Quote
trimard
Topic Opener
Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2009-04-05, 21:58

Thank you both! face-grin.png face-grin.png

edit from the first post: -corections of the text by Soeb -some corrections of the empire shield (thanks Chembro) -new end by SirVer

SirVer> Yeahhh! Good idea! for the actions i've got an idea: Just some shadows of some battles face-grin.png

Edited: 2009-04-06, 09:31

Top Quote
kataja

Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2009-04-06, 14:24

Looks good! A couple of minor nitpicks:

No comma before 'but' in the sentence starting with 'Now'. It's not there to start a real clause (-> no choice but to do x is a special phrase, and here 'but' doesn't even translate to the same word as alone); compare to "I did x, but y did z" where I think English allows either option.

Also, for increased emphasis I'd make the "you decide" an independent sentence with a single full stop: You decide. (end music / clear transition to the logo)

For the resources it's also possible to show something like deserted fields or chopped-down forests. The small handful of gems makes me think of pirrrates and money, and less so taming/conquering new land and harvesting it. On the other hand the hand does make the point on a general level anyway, and it's different from the landscape images that dominate otherwise. I'm just personally under the impression animating anything remotely human is a pain in the backside compared to landscapes. face-smile.png

Top Quote
Ex-Member
Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2009-04-06, 14:44

@!SirVer: Yeah, that's a great idea for last sentence.

@trimard: Maybe the swords rusty as well? Nah, just kidding ( face-smile.png ), but some dirt on the shield would be good (maybe).

Top Quote
Nasenbaer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2009-04-08, 13:01

Just some more notes face-smile.png :

• at atlanteans shield a trident would fit better than a spear
  • you wrote "text" I hope you actually thought of a "voice" - simply showing text would make the video worse...

Perhaps we could even implement the video as replacement of our current splashscreen face-smile.png

Top Quote
death

Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2009-04-13, 13:23

I like the logos in principle.

The atlanteans logo needs needs a tredent instead of the spear and it could be larger like the sword in imperials. Both barbarian and atlantean ones need more light...

Instead of some scenery timelapse videos of civilizations rising might be best...

Top Quote
trimard
Topic Opener
Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2009-04-15, 21:31

Nasenbaer>

• yes, by text I entend voice, and in that point would you prefere a voice of a girl or of a boy?

• For the trident I m ok, will change that

alexia_death>

• So not any logos tribe? Ok, if you think it's better face-grin.png

Will do those changes when I come back face-wink.png (5 days)

Top Quote
Nasenbaer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2009-04-15, 22:00

Well I would prefere a male voice like a story-teller of a fairy story, but perhaps even a bit darker, but well face-grin.png - that's simply the problem that we need someone that would do it for us face-smile.png

Top Quote