Latest Posts

Topic: major issues with Widelands

passerby
Topic Opener
Ranking
Just found this site
Posted at: 2021-09-26, 13:35

Linux Mint 20.1, Cinnamon 4.8.6.

Just installed Widelands from the Software Manager (SM). Build is listed in SM as 1.20-2build2. However, there are some immediate issues which need solving.

1. Widelands does not open in full screen; just a square window which really limits the playing area. Not obvious how to make it full screen.

2. "Options" does not open from the main menu. Instead an error message appears in a window titled "Unexpected error during the game" "LayeredFileSystem: Could not find file or directory: i18n/fonts/Nakula/nakula.ttf I have tried the following path(s) /home/user/.widelands/18n/fonts/Nakula/nakula.ttf /usr/share/games/widelands/data/18n/fonts/Nakula/nakula.ttf"

3. Same error occurs when trying to access "About"

4. There appears to be no easy way (i.e. a shortcut) to exit "Play Tutorial" or "Editor" or "Single Player" (or "Multiplayer"?) in order to return to the main menu. You have to open the "Main menu" option and go through the options there. There should be an obvious keyboard shortcut.

5. In game play when a child window open (to give information) you have no access to the rest of the screen. So you cannot pause or exit for example (even though "Pause" is always visible when the child window is open). This can be especially problematic when a series of windows opens one after the other . Expected behaviour: Pause and Exit should work even when child windows are open.

6. Alt + F4 immediately closes the game with no warning. Expected behaviour: When Alt+F4 is pressed an options dialog should open.

7. There should be a quick and easy way to pause the program and open a list of keyboard shortcuts.

8. It is not possible to copy text from child windows. This is invaluable when posting bug reports for example. Expected behaviour: Allow text in child windows to be copied by highlighting etc.

Top Quote
Nordfriese
Version: Latest master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2021-09-26, 14:29

Hi passerby and welcome to the forum face-smile.png

Widelands build 20 is outdated by two versions, the current release is version 1.0 (package version 2:1.0~ubuntu??.??.1). It's not available in the package repos yet, only via PPA or flatpak. Some of these issues should already be fixed in the current version, e.g. there's a keyboard shortcut configuration window in the options menu.

In the game and editor, you can view all available shortcuts by opening the encyclopedia (F1 or toolbar button) and choosing the last entry (Tips) in the first tab (General)). You can toggle between fullscreen and windowed mode via either F or Ctrl+F1; in more recent versions you can also resize the game window.. The shortcut to pause/unpause is the Pause key.

Whether Alt+F4 should ask for confirmation or not is a matter of taste, IMHO. To me this shortcut means "exit the program immediately" so I don't like it when a game chooses to ask me "are you sure" first. This shortcut is hard to hit by accident, so if I press it then yes I am sure. +1 for a return-to-mainmenu shortcut though.

Story message boxes in tutorials and campaigns block all user input by design to prevent you accidentally closing them. The same applies for some error messages etc. Other child windows do not have this behaviour.

Copying text is a feature on our wishlist, and we've made some progress there though much is still under development. You can use F11 or Ctrl+F111 to create a screenshot though.

The font error is specific to packaging – Widelands ships some uncommon fonts for certain non-latin languages, but some distros replaces them with an equivalent third-party package and symlinks. Please try if the solution given in this similar bugreport works for you.

1. Some shortcuts were changed a while ago so I'm not sure if your version requires Ctrl+Key or only the Key for those. 

Edited: 2021-09-26, 14:31

Top Quote
passerby
Topic Opener
Ranking
Just found this site
Posted at: 2021-09-26, 18:30

OK, I've installed the latest flatpak version: most of the issues are now resolved, except the difficulty exiting the tutorial games.

And, of course the expected behaviour of Alt+F4 is to close the program immediately.

Just one more thing. The text is small; is it possible to enlarge it, maybe even change colour and background? If not, that's a suggestion.

P.S. I couldn't find any way to edit the title of the forum post once sent.

Edited: 2021-09-26, 18:36

Top Quote
Nordfriese
Version: Latest master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2021-09-26, 20:00

You can create a new Theme add-on and edit its <datapath>/addons/your_new_theme.wad/init.lua to change font sizes and colours. That directory also contains the images used for window borders, widget backgrounds etc. Many UI elements still have a hardcoded size though – making everything scalable is a long-standing wishlist feature.

Currently, two alternative themes are available for download (regarding colours you might want to try out "Minimalistic Theme"), but none with larger-than-default fonts so far.

P.S. I couldn't find any way to edit the title of the forum post once sent.

Thread titles can only be edited by forum admins

Edited: 2021-09-26, 20:01

Top Quote
arch_stanton
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2022-03-26, 22:25

Is the text in message windows, such as the tutorial instructions, hard-coded? When editing a theme, if want to use the default graphics from the default theme, in init.lua can is there a way to point to the graphics in data/templates/default?

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2022-03-27, 12:21

arch_stanton wrote:

Is the text in message windows, such as the tutorial instructions, hard-coded?

The texts are part of the corresponding map. See the tutorial maps in the data/campaigns/ folder: https://github.com/widelands/widelands/tree/master/data/campaigns

When editing a theme, if want to use the default graphics from the default theme, in init.lua can is there a way to point to the graphics in data/templates/default?

No, you have to add them to your theme add-on. See https://www.widelands.org/documentation/themes/ or download one of the already implemented themes and check the file structure.

Next time please open a new topic for each question face-smile.png

Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote
arch_stanton
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2022-03-27, 21:24

kaputtnik wrote:

arch_stanton wrote:

Is the text in message windows, such as the tutorial instructions, hard-coded?

The texts are part of the corresponding map. See the tutorial maps in the data/campaigns/ folder: https://github.com/widelands/widelands/tree/master/data/campaigns

Oh, I meant "font size" not "text".

Nordfriese wrote:

You can create a new Theme add-on and edit its <datapath>/addons/your_new_theme.wad/init.lua to change font sizes and colours. That directory also contains the images used for window borders, widget backgrounds etc. Many UI elements still have a hardcoded size though – making everything scalable is a long-standing wishlist feature.

Currently, two alternative themes are available for download (regarding colours you might want to try out "Minimalistic Theme"), but none with larger-than-default fonts so far.

I uploaded a new theme that provides some larger fonts (changes the default 14pt to 20pt). But as Nordfriese mentioned, many UI elements still have a hard-coded size, so the theme I added (Larger Font Theme) doesn't change everything.

Edited: 2022-03-27, 21:24

Top Quote
Zifn
Ranking
Just found this site
Posted at: 2023-02-28, 12:49

Hello,

New Widelands player here, in a couch & tv screen (1280x720) setting. With the 'Larger Font Theme' a lot of text is readable for me, but e.g. not the tutorial texts.

Fiddled a bit with values in the add-on's init.lua but to no avail. Do I gather correctly from this thread that the tutorial text size cannot be increased for the time being? (If so, looking forward to if and when that changes.)

Many thanks for replying, for the add-on(s), and for the game!

Top Quote
tothxa
Version: some new PR I'm testing
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2023-02-28, 17:45

Hi Zifn, and welcome to the forum!

Zifn wrote:

New Widelands player here, in a couch & tv screen (1280x720) setting. With the 'Larger Font Theme' a lot of text is readable for me, but e.g. not the tutorial texts.

Fiddled a bit with values in the add-on's init.lua but to no avail. Do I gather correctly from this thread that the tutorial text size cannot be increased for the time being? (If so, looking forward to if and when that changes.)

Many thanks for replying, for the add-on(s), and for the game!

The changes to allow add-ons to change campaign text size were recently merged in the development version, so the theme add-on could get a new variant for that, adding the new paragraphs section with increased sizes.

If you're using the stable version, then you can edit data/scripting/richtext.lua, and look for the size = … tags.

Top Quote
tothxa
Version: some new PR I'm testing
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2023-02-28, 22:49

I created an updated/extended version of @arch_stanton's add-on for current development versions. I'm afraid to upload it to the server though, because it crashes v1.1 if you try to install and enable it. Unfortunately the minimum Widelands version specified by the add-on is ignored by the game…

ONLY FOR CURRENT DEVELOPMENT VERSIONS

But I attach init.lua from it, that can be copied to data/templates/default/, or into a new theme add-on that you start from the add-on packager. (you can safely remove all image subdirectories from the add-on directory to save disk space – again new in 1.2~devel)

Edited: 2023-03-01, 11:05

Attachment:
wl_big_fonts.zip (5.0 KB)

Top Quote