Latest Posts

Topic: Development, presentation, general help

Lars_Krimi

Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2009-04-14, 00:57

This is a copy of the topic I started in the technical help latger realising it was wrongly placed:

I love the good old Settlers II, and I am thrilled about Widelands.

I would love to help out in any way I can. Unfortunately I do not posses any particular progr4amming or graphics skills.

I tried to look around on the Wiki for who to contact if I wanted to help out, and it turns out that what would fit the best would be translation help.

Unfortunately the link in the Wiki to Azagtoth is broken.

I would love to help in any way possible. The most obvious way in which I could help, is, to me, not by anything in the actual game besides reporting bugs and coming up with suggestions. It would be the presentation of the game. The Wiki is the only sort of manual for the game and it could be made much, much more accesible, extensive and presentable (it is also far from complete concerning current game content).

Do you have a main Wiki editor/manager?

If not, this is something I would love to help out with. If you have, I would happily get into contact with the person so I could help do the Wiki as this person would like. I am aware that the great power of a Wiki is that weverybody can update it, but the current state of thewiki is not the best, and although I could principly start editing pages already, it really needs a very exte3nsive overhaul I believe I need a sort of permission to do.

Top Quote
SirVer

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2009-04-14, 09:54

Some general comments and some stuff you could work on:

• We used to have an Elder of Homepage. Since I'm hacking the most on the homepage currently, I do fullfil this job currently.
  • You do not need permission to improve stuff on the wiki; when you make stuff worse, people (like myself) will complain ;). It is good if you keep your progress reported some place (like the forum) and also show your plans (what you will work on next). And you might also have a look at the restored old wiki pages which are only partly transported back into the new wiki. There is a lot of inline HTML still floating around in the current wiki which should be replaced through markdown. Lots of work, feel free to do any or all of it. The old wiki pages backup can be found here: http://www.widelands.org/~sirver/wiki_recover/results
  • Azagtoth is around: Azagtoth. I fixed his links in the wiki.
  • There is still a lot of references to the old xoops site in the wiki. Just search for xoops and the sites with broken links will pop up.
  • If you have some experience with web design (CSS & HTML), a lot of pages could need design proposals (Map details page in the download sections, profile pages, building help pages (which only shows a graph currently)). You could design mockups (graphics) or HTML skeletons to ease the work of the homepage hackers.

Also note that we are currently building an online help system for buildings and wares. Therefore writing manual help for economies should not be your primary concern.

There is a HomepageTodo page which should contain all this information... Unfortunately I have no time to maintain it.

Hope that helps and hope to see some work from you in the future ;) Please keep us informed what you plan to do.

Cheers, !SirVer

Top Quote
Lars_Krimi

Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2009-04-14, 12:30

I think I'll plunge into having fun witht the Wiki.

I have very limited html knowledge, so not much I can do there I guess.

Where on the forum should I write what I am working on?

And I think I'll give myself the first task of updating th Homepage Todo page face-tongue.png

Top Quote
Lars_Krimi

Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2009-04-14, 12:37

I updated the ToDo list and added a 'What is ppl doing right now' list, thought it could be used foreasy reference as to who and what is being done... how does that idea sound?

http://wl.widelands.org/wiki/HomepageTodo/

Top Quote
Lars_Krimi

Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2009-04-14, 12:55

And why is the full list of articles on the Wiki not editable?

I wanted to sort the list alphabetically, unfortunately there was not edit button.

I wished to do this so I could easily refer to the list when checking if an old Wiki page had been moved to the new Wiki.

Besides, when searching for sites on the full list it is easier to look at it alphabetically.

Top Quote
Ex-Member
Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2009-04-14, 15:21

There's no need to say what you're working on. Just do so, and people will notice when things improve.

The list is not editable as it is automatically generated. It would be no use, to make it hand-made.

Also please read WikiSyntax. It'll give you many useful tips about editing and features like auto-linking.

Top Quote
SirVer

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2009-04-14, 17:45

Lars_Krimi, just putting some information here from time to time when you start working on bigger projects is enough. No need to keep a detailed list of everything you do ;).

As Soeb said, the list is autogenerated, but I added a bug report that it should be ordered alphabetically.

Cheers, !SirVer

Top Quote
Lars_Krimi

Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2009-04-14, 20:34

No probs face-tongue.png

I'll assume initially whatever I do is fine face-smile.png

Top Quote