Latest Posts

Topic: Atlantean issue?

hessenfarmer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2022-12-06, 22:49

xorx wrote:

Why not allowing setting it in the economy window like the corn flour instead of setting it to 0 behind the scenes?

Please read the old thread that I linked. Blackroot has no other use then producing blackroot_flour. so there is no sense in not turning all blackroot into blackroot_flour, if it does not cost precious time needed to produce cornmeal.

Top Quote
xorx
Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2022-12-06, 23:25

Sorry I did not see the link. Then, if I understood it correctly, if I set the corn flour to infinity, blackroot flour will never be produced (unless it's needed or if I run out of corn). Is that right?

Thanks.

Top Quote
tothxa
Version: some new PR I'm testing
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2022-12-07, 01:30

That's not optimal though, because it's then not possible to build up a reserve of blackroot flour when there is a good supply of corn. Wouldn't it be better to allow setting a target for blackroot flour after all? Time is not more precious for cornmeal than blackroot flour, because exactly the same amount is required from both.

Edited: 2022-12-07, 01:58

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2022-12-07, 07:32

well this has been discussed many times and it is always in circles.
we once had an economy setting for blackroot flour --> we got complains why we have this as blackroot is not needed elsewhere and empire wine ( which is the same case) hasn't any either.
we removed it resulting in an infinite demand --> the mill would not skip producing blackroot although cornmeal was needed more (maybe due to previous shortgae of corn)
we implemented the current solution to determine the demand to enable priorities of cornmeal or blackroot.

from my perspective setting the demand to infinity is technically feasible but does it make sense from game mechanical point of view? I doubt it makes sense, cause corn is needed for spiders and horses as well. Especially when train ing really starts suddenly a lot of silk is needed and even a big pile of corn might be shrinking rapidly. So instead of piling up cornmeal it would be better to pile up corn to be prepared for all demands. And with a reasonable setting of cornmeal no problem should arise with blackroot. the only thing might be to explain this a bit better, that the setting of cornmeal is linked to some extent with blackroot.

Top Quote
xorx
Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2022-12-07, 15:44

Yes, I agree that an explanation would be a good thing. At least you can send people asking the same question as I did to the documentation.

Top Quote