Latest Posts

Topic: Battle Royale Events

the-x
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2022-11-25, 01:41

My all time favorite - and many times vs ai tested suggestion that combines all and gives a very interesting game

https://www.widelands.org/maps/the-x/

Of course i accept to be the last one choosing the starting position

Top Quote
Nordfriese
Version: Latest master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2022-11-25, 19:24

Of course i accept to be the last one choosing the starting position

Being the last to choose a starting position can also be an advantage. I like to wait until most other players have chosen so I have an idea where my enemies are located, and can choose a position with higher distance to the most dangerous opponents. This is especially useful when the map has lots of equally advantageous starting positions; only if the best spots are in short supply picking last can be a real disadvantage,

Top Quote
Seefahrer
Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2022-11-26, 14:50

Nordfriese wrote:

I'd like to suggest the following map, which is not overly aesthetical but fully equal, very interesting, and neither too small nor too big: https://www.widelands.org/maps/great-planes/

[...]

Great Planes seems to be a nice suggestion, I would also vote for it. As there hasn't outspoken more new participants in the playtime scheduler or in this thread here, I think such an 8-player-map should fit this time again.

Sorry that I was not in the forum the last days, but during that time I only tried to open the homepage via my Handy's Samsung browser (as I normally do) and it did not open but says that the homepage is under maintenance. I was surprised to see now here at my laptop, that the site is available and obviously has been so also in the last days. I don't know how my still existing handy error comes from, but however.

I will try to be some minutes before game start time 19:30 in the lobby. It may be that my laptop needs two or three game start attempts like at the last game. If my laptop/internet connection fails during the game so that I'm dropping off, please automatically go on to play without me. I wish us all fun! face-smile.png

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2022-11-26, 17:01

My private time schedule has shifted a bit so I don't know whether I will be there at 19:30. If i am not there just start and have fun. If you want you could let one AI playing from which I could take over in case I'll be back at a reasonable time.

Top Quote
the-x
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2022-11-26, 17:32

Yes, lets add an AI in any case that you can join us - anyhow would be nice if we can make it all to 19:30

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2022-11-26, 20:33

I am now in the lobby in case anyone reads this.

Top Quote
Nordfriese
Version: Latest master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2022-11-26, 23:30

Sorry that we didn't see your post, we had reserved an AI for you face-sad.png

The battle was won jointly by the-x and Nordfriese. The final situation was that the-x dominated on the mainland and was allied with Seefahrer, but I had made myself undefeatable with an island colony (we played Autocrat). Then Seefahrer gave up rather than fighting it out with the-x, and the-x and me joined the same team to be joined winners.

Replay attached.

Attachment:
BattleRoyale_2022-11-26.zip (1.6 MB)

Top Quote
Seefahrer
Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2022-11-27, 00:07

I'm sorry too that we did not look after it during the game, hessenfarmer! face-sad.png Hope next time we are all united again! face-smile.png

Although I was again the weakest player, I only survived that long, because when I ran away from Nordfriese, the-x was that nice to have me in his team, so I could ran in his direction. However, as I left my base camp I was rather nomadic with little ressources left, so I rather existed rather virtually only. For a pity, I missed the chance to build a port myself to reach a little island to be really undefeatable, which Nordfriese smartly did. As it, due to my status, would have not been very fair of me to be an equal part of a draw between us all, I gave up by dismantling my single left warehouse. (By the way it's totally crazy that I still got bronze medal rank 3 in the game face-grin.png ) It was a pity, that Magenta did not have my starting position, as I think he would have could made much more of it than I did. Although Magenta is a way better player than me, he had the bad luck to have the worst starting position in the game, as it happened that he was surrounded by ice, which made it very difficult to grow trees face-sad.png

So for the next game we maybe either should use a map with equal starting positions or to make the decision which map we would play a bit earlier so that all players would have enough time to have a look at the map to see where good/starting positions are, because then Magenta would have chosen another starting position which would have given him more ressources and possibilities.

(This time the teams were rather static, so the game was very different from the last game, but today we were fewer players, too. But it was interesting, how the AI (non-)acted diplomatically... maybe next time we could add two or three AIs to see, how they act diplomatically not only with us but also with each other.)

Top Quote
the-x
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2022-11-29, 11:53

Seefahrer wrote:

However, as I left my base camp I was rather nomadic with little ressources left, so I rather existed rather virtually only. For a pity, I missed the chance to build a port myself to reach a little island to be really undefeatable, which Nordfriese smartly did. As it, due to my status, would have not been very fair of me to be an equal part of a draw between us all, I gave up by dismantling my single left warehouse. (By the way it's totally crazy that I still got bronze medal rank 3 in the game face-grin.png

Yes ;-D it was a very intresting game with lots of things happening, the extra islands, though the map is completely playable as a continent map with one big land mass where all the different terrain types lead to interesting decisions. When designing the map i choose an ice layout that offered magenta of course to also grow trees, its not that ice where you cant grow trees.

Top Quote
the-x
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2022-12-03, 18:18

I wanted to ask if there is a Battle Royal Event today? In Lobby are some players.

Top Quote