Latest Posts

Topic: 2022 Tournament Replays

the-x
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2022-09-24, 19:55

kaputtnik wrote:

Of course i had lost this game, and you all can call me childish, but autocrat is autocrat and as long i do not surrender and my opponent does not enter my headquarters (or warehouses), there is no winner.

You played a great game - it was really full of intelligent strategical choices.

The reason why i waited and it must have felt 10 times the time as you had then only the hq left, was that i couldnt take the risk to attack your hq with my rookies, especially since you have a mass bonus, if you have more soldiers concentrated - i had the possibility of attacking with 6-8 . so i decided due to my stone economic problems, the map has very little but possible stone, i put down some other buildings that gave me stone to finish the buildings from where i can attack your hq.

All in all ; ) good game

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Version: Recent tournament version
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2022-09-24, 19:56

Please don't argue too much about these rather small problems. As a chess player I can understand that the-x doesn't like that kaputtnik didn't resign in a lost match, but I can also understand that kaputtnik didn't like it if the-x told about opening a parallel match. Maybe it's rather a misunderstanding - headquarters are harder to destroy than some players would think.

Wanted to save the world, then I got widetracked

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2022-09-25, 23:38

Replay of my match vs tothxa.

Tothxa seemed to have underestimated my expansion speed and wasn't ready for my attack, that explains the rather early resignation.

A bug is that the replay shows a desync at the very end, which might be caused by the resignation. My version is not exactly the tournament version but it's supposed to be fully play-compatible.

Attachment:
tothxaWS2022.zip (225.6 KB)

Top Quote
tothxa
Version: some new PR I'm testing
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2022-09-26, 00:08

I can only say there is a reason why WorldSavior is all time champion. He saw right through the master plan I came up with to try to prolong my futile attempt at resisting his armies by 2 minutes or so, face-smile.png and changed strategy accordingly. But it wasn't even needed anyway, as you can see in the replay.

Top Quote
Mars

Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2022-09-26, 21:07

We had an interesting game and I was able to defeat niektory (blue) as red.

We both played Atlanteans and while niektory build a labyrinth early on I trained my soldiers in a dungeon. But I guess the main reason for my victory was the larger number or foresters and woodcutters.

Attachment:
mars-niektory.zip (362.9 KB)

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2022-09-26, 21:44

tothxa wrote:

I can only say there is a reason why WorldSavior is all time champion. He saw right through the master plan I came up with to try to prolong my futile attempt at resisting his armies by 2 minutes or so, face-smile.png and changed strategy accordingly. But it wasn't even needed anyway, as you can see in the replay.

Thank you! Actually you surprised me with your plan - not only picking Frisians, but also training the soldiers to level 2, I expected neither of that.

Top Quote
tothxa
Version: some new PR I'm testing
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2022-09-26, 23:32

WorldSavior wrote:

Actually you surprised me with your plan - not only picking Frisians, but also training the soldiers to level 2, I expected neither of that.

Well, of course I had planned and practiced to play with the Empire until the pairings were announced. But when it turned out that I'll have to play against you I knew that my only hope (to achieve anything meaningful) was to do something unexpected, so I tried all tribes for cheap and quick military training possibilities, then used the fight simulator to see how the level 0 and the cheap-trained soldiers of each tribe compare against each other. Frisians turned out to be surprisingly strong in all these regards. (I was quite surprised that Nordfriese didn't play with them.) (I was also quite surprised by what the-x was able to do with the Amazons BTW, as I thought they'd be hopeless in such a short game on this small map)

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2022-09-28, 18:35

tothxa wrote:

WorldSavior wrote:

Actually you surprised me with your plan - not only picking Frisians, but also training the soldiers to level 2, I expected neither of that.

Well, of course I had planned and practiced to play with the Empire until the pairings were announced. But when it turned out that I'll have to play against you I knew that my only hope (to achieve anything meaningful) was to do something unexpected, so I tried all tribes for cheap and quick military training possibilities, then used the fight simulator to see how the level 0 and the cheap-trained soldiers of each tribe compare against each other.

Good plan

Frisians turned out to be surprisingly strong in all these regards.

Yes, they are strong at that map

(I was quite surprised that Nordfriese didn't play with them.)

Me too face-wink.png

(I was also quite surprised by what the-x was able to do with the Amazons BTW, as I thought they'd be hopeless in such a short game on this small map)

I was surprised too. But you can see that kaputtnik's military graph surpassed his own quite easily. Amazons are not too great on that map.

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2022-10-01, 01:47

hessenfarmer wrote:

I can‘t watch the replay as I am on my mobile. However as kaputtnik left the game for reason not wanting to wait another hour. I will count this as won by the-x. In any case I will watch the replay to see whether the-x could have attacked the HQ and refused to do so in order to lengthen the game for building his base. If this had been the case I would consider this as unfair play and need to make up my mind about this.

I watched the replay and took over from the-x at about 2 hours gametime. From a gamers point of view he did nothing wrong as a senseless attack on the HQ would not have been succesful in any case. So waititng a bit for being in the position to win safely is no foul play. I can't judge over the conversation as wasn't there, however either I would have asked to give up as well or at least to increase the time base to get this quicker.

So as I can't see no misbehave from the-x in gameplay this game is a clear win for the-x.

Top Quote
niektory
Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2022-10-02, 19:31

Seefahrer vs. Niektory, won by Niektory.

Seefahrer mentioned during the game that he had trouble utilizing the port space to build a port. He didn't expect he would need to expand his territory further into the water.

We also had trouble starting the game. The game paused after 2 seconds or so and we got disconnected some time after that. Seefahrer mentioned having a weak computer, so perhaps it took so long to load the game that the connection timed out. When we tried a second time we were able to start and play the game normally.

Edited: 2022-10-02, 19:36

Top Quote