Latest Posts

Topic: Assigning soldiers

jijymyd
Topic Opener
Ranking
Just found this site
Posted at: 2022-09-12, 19:19

As Empire I want to train every soldier in evasion to max level but some soldiers get only lvl1 (e.g. before you upgrade Arena) and then a bunch of levels in other disciplines (when they get kicked out of Arena during upgrade and move to the Training camp) and prefer to man castles and such instead of training. The Colosseum stands full of food, yet empty of soldiers because some lvl0-lvl1 evasion trained soldiers got enough levels in other disciplines to count as more veteran-ish than an average soldier and thus they only get kicked out of the castle when a guy who is levelled in absolutely everything comes, before them the 11 other guys who are lvl2 evasion trained but nothing else have to be kicked out. If I manually kick that soldier out he just randomly moves into another castle, kicking out the lvl2 evasion trained soldier. Sometimes, rarely, it happens that this manually kicked soldier actually arrives to the Colosseum and gets that 2nd lvl training too but its too unreliable and takes too long. Is there a way to manually assign that soldier to train the easy levels?

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2022-09-12, 19:35

HI jijymyd and welcome to the forums!

Didn't know exactly but i think filling up military sites is preferred over filling up training sites (which makes sense, imho). The situation you described (as far i understand) arises if there are not enough free soldiers. What you can do is to reduce the number of soldiers in military sites to get them walk to the trainigsites. Same goes for Arena/Colloseum vs. Training Camp: E.g. reduce the amount of soldiers in Training Camp to get soldiers first walk to the Colloseum.

Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote
jijymyd
Topic Opener
Ranking
Just found this site
Posted at: 2022-09-16, 19:38

If I understand it right total amount of soldiers is total space in military sites + 10? The Camp has 12 slots and those 10 excess soldiers are sitting in it while the Colosseum stands empty (cause most are already trained for it). I reduced the amount of space in Training Camp and half-trained soldiers started running around and kicking each other out of fortresses (sometimes soldier leaving building then walking right back and kicking the other one with exact same training), but not the soldiers who are max level in everything but evasion cause they're still higher levelled than those lacking 1-2 levels in weapons and health and fortresses instead kick those.

If I set fortresses to prefer veterans, those almost-max-lvl-if-not-for-evasion soldiers stay because they're almost max level. If I set it to prefer rookies they also stay because there are enough max lvl veterans to kick out before them. And even if I manually kick them out there's always a castle around where they can kick out someone else because they'd fit the castle's preference better than some unlucky fellow in there, so they just walk to another castle instead of Colosseum.

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2022-09-17, 13:40

jijymyd wrote:

If I understand it right total amount of soldiers is total space in military sites + 10?

Not 100% sure, but i think so.

The Camp has 12 slots and those 10 excess soldiers are sitting in it while the Colosseum stands empty (cause most are already trained for it). I reduced the amount of space in Training Camp and half-trained soldiers started running around and kicking each other out of fortresses (sometimes soldier leaving building then walking right back and kicking the other one with exact same training), but not the soldiers who are max level in everything but evasion cause they're still higher levelled than those lacking 1-2 levels in weapons and health and fortresses instead kick those.

I think you don't have enough soldiers. How many soldiers do you have in warehouses? Check the fourth tab of the inventory (shortcut i) for this information.

If I set fortresses to prefer veterans, those almost-max-lvl-if-not-for-evasion soldiers stay because they're almost max level. If I set it to prefer rookies they also stay because there are enough max lvl veterans to kick out before them. And even if I manually kick them out there's always a castle around where they can kick out someone else because they'd fit the castle's preference better than some unlucky fellow in there, so they just walk to another castle instead of Colosseum.

You should try to get soldiers free for training:

• reduce the amount of soldiers in military sites (fortress, castle, sentry, tower, outpost, barrier) to store only one soldier
  • if no enemy is in sight, set them also to prefer rookies
  • dismantle those buildings if not needed (not at frontier)
  • set the amount of soldiers at the trainingcamp to 1 or max 2

Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote
jijymyd
Topic Opener
Ranking
Just found this site
Posted at: 2022-09-20, 18:54

Just played a game as Frisians. Some observations:

• when fortress has been built a bunch of random soldiers will be stuffed in it then they'll be replaced one by one to the correct preference. Replacement is very suboptimal: .e.g one of rookies was first replaced with atk2 soldier, then atk3 soldier replaced atk2, then atk3 health1 armor 1 replaced him, then atk5 health2 armor2, then finally max lvl in everything soldier. Lots of walking around.

• sometimes training facilities start kicking out trainable soldiers for no reason. E.g.: I had a hiccup in the production of T3 swords (gold ran out) and a bunch of ATK5 trained soldiers sitting in Frisian training camp or whatever its name couldnt upgrade to ATK6. Eventually they got kicked. Hiccup was resolved, those t3 swords started coming in, but arena still kept kicking out soldiers as soon as they trained to ATK5. I noticed that I had tons of unused T3 swords and 20-something ATK5 soldiers, decided to kick all those ATK3-ATK4 soldiers out of arena and voila - ATK5 soldiers started coming back to arena and only them. They kept camping the arena until the last ATK5 soldier trained to ATK6. I strongly suspect I had same thing happening with the lower level training camp because midgame I had a ton of ATK2 trained soldiers who refused to be trained to ATK3.

• Sometimes something happens and soldiers just plain refuse to attend training. They instead walk into storage and stay there. Saving and loading the game seems to solve it, the gang of soldiers run out of storage to train as soon as you load.

Edited: 2022-09-20, 18:54

Top Quote
jijymyd
Topic Opener
Ranking
Just found this site
Posted at: 2022-09-20, 19:06

I think you don't have enough soldiers. How many soldiers do you have in warehouses? Check the fourth tab of the inventory (shortcut i) for this information.

That game I had about a hundred soldiers but just in case this time I had about four hundred, three hundred of them trained to the max.

You should try to get soldiers free for training:

• reduce the amount of soldiers in military sites (fortress, castle, sentry, tower, outpost, barrier) to store only one soldier
  • if no enemy is in sight, set them also to prefer rookies
  • dismantle those buildings if not needed (not at frontier)
  • set the amount of soldiers at the trainingcamp to 1 or max 2

I eventually kinda managed to make it kinda work: I kept fortresses at max capacity but made them require proportional amounts of soldiers, e.g. when I had no trained soldiers yet I set all fortresses to prefer rookies and one to prefer vets, when I trained enough to fill the first fortress I turned second fortress to prefer vets, by midgame I had half of fortresses stuffed with vets and one fortress preferring vets with mixed population. This ensures that whenever a veteran comes to that fortress and kicks out a soldier he has only training facilities to go to - with other fortresses already having their requirements fulfilled by being stuffed with vets or with rookies only.

Top Quote