Latest Posts

Topic: Neptune's Revenge

RichHolton
Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2022-09-18, 20:21

Is it just me, or is Neptune's Revenge a very difficult scenario to beat?

If it is just me, I'd love to hear some hints or tips on how to do it.

I have been playing using the version 1.1 nightly builds. Are the 1.1 changes making the scenario harder to beat?

Rich Holton

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2022-09-18, 20:56

general tips:

• read the hints of Amalea carefully.
  • don't waste any building plots
  • build a shipyard but stop it until you are about to be able to make cloth.
  • use the economy settings to produce coal in mines to train the miners for the goldmine
  • when you are able to send the first expedition, prepare directly the next one.
  • search the map for all port spaces and decide where to build ports in which sequence
  • marble is rare we might need to rely on stones to get some marble.

if you tell us what are your particular difficulties just ask, and provide a savegame for analysis

Top Quote
RichHolton
Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2022-09-18, 21:50

In my latest effort, I've gotten as far as planting a couple of mines at the large gold mountain on the main barbarian island (south of the island that is just south of the starting island). But I'm out of iron, out of meat and fish, have 5 farms but can't produce enough wheat to keep on piggery providing enough meat the train the soldiers I have. Plus, I still haven't been given the ability to build a warehouse, so my supply lines are ridiculously long.

I have 4 ports and 4 ships, but when I tried for the port on the isolated tip of the barbarian island that is hemmed in by stone, it was already taken by the barbarians.

I do have adequate marble, at least for the moment. But the barbarians are taking back land that I gained -- my new gold mines will disappear soon.

Save game attadhed.

Attachment:
impasse.wgf (842.9 KB)

Rich Holton

Top Quote
RichHolton
Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2022-09-18, 21:50

In my latest effort, I've gotten as far as planting a couple of mines at the large gold mountain on the main barbarian island (south of the island that is just south of the starting island). But I'm out of iron, out of meat and fish, have 5 farms but can't produce enough wheat to keep on piggery providing enough meat the train the soldiers I have. Plus, I still haven't been given the ability to build a warehouse, so my supply lines are ridiculously long.

I have 4 ports and 4 ships, but when I tried for the port on the isolated tip of the barbarian island that is hemmed in by stone, it was already taken by the barbarians.

I do have adequate marble, at least for the moment. But the barbarians are taking back land that I gained -- my new gold mines will disappear soon. And because I have no iron, I can't even make new soldiers.

Save game attadhed.

Edited: 2022-09-18, 21:51

Attachment:
impasse.wgf (842.9 KB)

Rich Holton

Top Quote
tothxa
Version: some new PR I'm testing
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2022-09-18, 21:58

RichHolton wrote:

I have been playing using the version 1.1 nightly builds. Are the 1.1 changes making the scenario harder to beat?

There was a problem in earlier versions that prevented the AI from working properly in scenarios, so it may have been that you met it later and it was still much weaker than it may be now at the time of meeting it. But I should play it again to be sure.

If it is just me, I'd love to hear some hints or tips on how to do it.

One hint I think is missing (should have opened a bug report, but kept postponing it) is that you should keep your empty mines going when you don't have strong supply of some mining resource from fresh mines. I had been low on iron all the time, but until you can expand beyond the first island, you may need to do it with your coal and gold mines as well.

Top Quote
tothxa
Version: some new PR I'm testing
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2022-09-18, 22:44

Having looked at the savegame, I think you're doing OK.

RichHolton wrote:

In my latest effort, I've gotten as far as planting a couple of mines at the large gold mountain on the main barbarian island (south of the island that is just south of the starting island). But I'm out of iron, out of meat and fish, have 5 farms but can't produce enough wheat to keep on piggery providing enough meat the train the soldiers I have.

You should decrese the input queues of consumers of food (mines, taverns, training sites) and coal/iron (smelters and smiths) so that all of them get a chance to receive some. Not so important, but you also have too many charcoal kilns, at least you don't seem to be able to supply them well.

I think your biggest blocker is iron (just like it was for me), so you should concentrate on that, and control its use tightly by setting targets as well as the input queues.

Plus, I still haven't been given the ability to build a warehouse, so my supply lines are ridiculously long.

I don't understand this. In the attached savegame you could build warehouses.

Yes, that's a pity. But far from impossible.

Edited: 2022-09-18, 22:50

Top Quote
RichHolton
Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2022-09-18, 23:57

Apparently, among my other problems, I can't see what's right in front of me. Thanks for pointing out that I can build a warehouse.

Thanks also for your other tips. I think I'll start over (again) and try to keep better tabs on my iron.

I was wondering about when it would be good to keep mines running after they "run out". Do you know if they consume (e.g. rations & beer) when they try but don't actually produce output? Or do they only consume when they produce output?

Rich Holton

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2022-09-19, 08:33

they do consume always before the attempts.
i looked at the savegame as well. Another import tip is to not leave well trained soldiers behind the front line so you need to set the military buildings behind the front to prefer rookies to get the heros to the front.
if the enemy is attacking you you better dismantle your military building then letting the enemy conquer it.
Furthermore in the savegame I found at least 2 big spots covered by roads where a farm could have been built.

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2022-09-19, 10:11

if you try the scenbario again from start you should try to be quicker and not waste any big or medium building plots. (e.g. there are 2 big spots on the starting island).
Next you might want to get all fish out of the water on all islands. I saw you tend to build roads at the coast but this blocks the fishermen from working. they can only go to spots without any immovable and a road is a blocking immovable.

Top Quote
warrenbarton
Ranking
Just found this site
Posted at: 2022-12-19, 16:31

Hey! I have a problem with this scenario. I've defeated the barbarians, explored all the map with expeditions, but cant find the 6th artifact. Do you have a map or any suggestions?

Top Quote