Latest Posts

Topic: Questions about ships

RichHolton
Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2022-09-11, 19:48

I have a few questions about the way that ships work.

1. Based on how Expeditions are set up, it seems that the most of any one item a ship can carry is 14 (4 based on the sliders, plus 10 chosen individually). And that is only for things required for an expedition (for the Empire, cloth, logs, planks, granite, marble, marble, marble columns, and builders). For non-required wares/workers, the max is 10. Do the same limits apply to ships during shipping? Or are there different capacity rules for shipping?

2. Once you have two or more ports, is there any way to control ship movement short of launching an expedition? It seems like it would be good to be able to do scouting with a ship without needing all the resources required for an expedition.

3. At least for the Empire, the Help does not include anything on Ships. There's an entry for Ferry under Workers, but not one for Ship. Is this true of the other Tribes? Even though the Tutorial covers using Ships, it seems that some information should be included in the Help.

Not specifically about Ships, but at least for the Empire, the Workers help is mostly useless. For example, under Scout, it lets you know that a Scout works at a Scout's House, but the only other information is under Purpose: "Scouts like Scotty the scout scouting unscouted areas in a scouty fashion." Yeah, thanks.

Rich Holton

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2022-09-11, 20:36

RichHolton wrote:

I have a few questions about the way that ships work.

I'll try my best to answer them.

1. Based on how Expeditions are set up, it seems that the most of any one item a ship can carry is 14 (4 based on the sliders, plus 10 chosen individually). And that is only for things required for an expedition (for the Empire, cloth, logs, planks, granite, marble, marble, marble columns, and builders). For non-required wares/workers, the max is 10. Do the same limits apply to ships during shipping? Or are there different capacity rules for shipping?

The capacity of all ships of the official tribes is 30. In the expedition setup the sliders (or queues) represent the wares needed to construct the expedition port. Wares or workers occupy one capacity slot. The amount of open slots is determined from total capacity - port costs - 1 builder. if not in expedition mode the ship can carry up to 30 wares or workers with no restrictions on the type of ware.

1. Once you have two or more ports, is there any way to control ship movement short of launching an expedition? It seems like it would be good to be able to do scouting with a ship without needing all the resources required for an expedition.

No.

1. At least for the Empire, the Help does not include anything on Ships. There's an entry for Ferry under Workers, but not one for Ship. Is this true of the other Tribes? Even though the Tutorial covers using Ships, it seems that some information should be included in the Help.

+1 Good idea.

Not specifically about Ships, but at least for the Empire, the Workers help is mostly useless. For example, under Scout, it lets you know that a Scout works at a Scout's House, but the only other information is under Purpose: "Scouts like Scotty the scout scouting unscouted areas in a scouty fashion." Yeah, thanks.

well I admit it is not very information rich, but what information do you expect.

Top Quote
RichHolton
Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2022-09-12, 02:30

well I admit it is not very information rich, but what information do you expect.

I can think of several things about scouts that I'd like to know as a player: Are Scouts visible to other tribes? How far do they scout (some sort of approximate would be good)? Are they blocked by certain types of terrain? Can they cross water? (I've seen one crossing short distances) I see they need rations. How often?

A few words about general strategy might also be helpful. Why is scouting useful? Where should you place Scout's House? (Tho that would probably go under the Scout House help.)

I like this game, and I want to help make it better. I didn't mean to step on any toes. I would happily help to write some help text, but I don't know the answers to many of the questions I'd like to see answered in the help.

Rich Holton

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2022-09-12, 10:19

RichHolton wrote:

I can think of several things about scouts that I'd like to know as a player: Are Scouts visible to other tribes? How far do they scout (some sort of approximate would be good)? Are they blocked by certain types of terrain? Can they cross water? (I've seen one crossing short distances) I see they need rations. How often?

A few words about general strategy might also be helpful. Why is scouting useful? Where should you place Scout's House? (Tho that would probably go under the Scout House help.)

I like this game, and I want to help make it better. I didn't mean to step on any toes. I would happily help to write some help text, but I don't know the answers to many of the questions I'd like to see answered in the help.

you're welcome and you did not step on anyones toes.
It is very helpful to get a new unbiased view on some things and especially the help functions. I will try to get this improved in v1.2.

Top Quote