Latest Posts

Topic: Tournament 2022

hessenfarmer
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2022-08-24, 21:08

kaputtnik wrote:

Isn't it possible to have a sentence with information about the tournament in the lobby chat box?

Always when i open the lobby, or enter the IRC channel #widelands (where the lobby gets mirrored) i see people playing this game. Ok, not always, but often, at least regularly. So having a sentence, possibly highlighted, informing about a tournament, there might be some people who wants to participate.

that would be so cool. @Nordfriese any chance of having a feature to make announcements there.

Top Quote
Nordfriese
Version: Latest master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2022-08-24, 21:17

+1 from me as well. However this would need to be implemented in the metaserver so @Notabilis is the one with the power to make it happen face-smile.png

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2022-08-25, 14:08

Nordfriese wrote:

+1 from me as well. However this would need to be implemented in the metaserver so @Notabilis is the one with the power to make it happen face-smile.png

Thanks to @janus and an IRC bot every user entering the lobby is now greeted with the announcement. face-smile.png

Top Quote
Seefahrer
Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2022-08-27, 22:46

Hello,

I love this game and I deeply appreciate, how many time and work so many of you have put into it in the last decades, thank you! Although I am thinking about some game things, at the moment (as I have no technical skills at all) I am not providing any practical work to the game. So others are doing the practical work and I am not doing anthing of it, which I find a bit pity and not pretty fair.

When this thread was opened, I first thought: „OK, if one could help the developers to test the release candidate version by taking part in the tournament, then I could do that! :-)“

My second thought was: „But, well, as I am playing (as I like it) veeeeeeery slow (= weak; weaker even than the weak AI g), maybe it would not be soooooooo nice to lose all games by getting slaughtered to the bone every single time! :-(“ [g] But, because for sure there will be so many other participants, it would not matter if I participate or not, so there's no need to get slaughtered... g

But by now, as the tournament start is only about one week away but nonetheless by now not that many participants registered, my third thought in the last days was: „OK, I'll get slaughtered – but if that does help the developers with the game, it's fine and doesn't matter for me!“ face-wink.png ggg

So please count me in as participant, too, if you want to. (I probably will have only enough time to play on saturdays (and before the Sportschau begins g, but that is not a must face-wink.png . If my job gets too stressfull, I would quit the tournament, but I'll try to stick to it until the end.)

As I read the following in the tournament rules:

"6) allowed features All new features of widelands are allowed in principle if both players agree on it: e.g. peaceful mode, custom start position etc."

, it came to my mind that the participants stronger than me (thus, all others g) could take into account that when playing against me, that we then maybe could agree on a not-that-bloody win condition, like e.g., to play in peaceful mode and as win condition either

• Sammler [collector] (= 4 hours), or

• Waldschrat [woodgnome?] (= 4 hours) or

• Landherr (Zeit) [landlord (time)] (= max. 4 hours)

• don't know if artifacts would also be able as win condition in tournament game maps/time schedules

?

As I recently read by random somewhere I forgot in the forum ( https://www.widelands.org/forum/topic/2876/ and https://www.widelands.org/forum/topic/2899/?page=1#post-20816 ) that WorldSavior likes sheeps' sounds very much (if I recall the posts correctly face-wink.png ), of course I'll build as many game keepers huts as possible and none hunter huts, so that when trying to conquering my territory he'll get flooded by an army of sheep which will sing him into sleep with their beautiful sheep voice lullaby face-wink.png . OK, maybe it wasn't that clever to uncover my strategy for a safe win before the game started, but on the other hand I now have an unbeatable excuse if I unexpectedly would lose nonetheless: „You only won because I granted you to get to know my safe-win-strategy before – so there's nothing to it by you!“ ;-) Anyhow, can someone before the start of the tournament please implement the option at the game keeper's hut to choose which type of animal is created there, in case like this if I wanna only e.g. sheep? face-wink.png

(if one has not enough time for a 4-hour-game, I nonetheless also would agree on a non-peaceful game.)

[btw, I am noticing I am missing the option/win condition „kamikaze“ or „Selbstversenkung“(like the pirates in the Asterix comics, hehe), or etc.... face-wink.png Could anyone please also implement this before the start of the tournament so that I would have the chance to win a game? That would be very nice. Thank you! face-wink.png ]

(I normally only play Barbarians – I tried the other tribes as well, but I prefer them.)

Although I don't wanna ask for an altering of the tournament rules in the last minute before start, a question came to my mind, which is the following: What would be if we would think about to allow for players to participate in the tournament with giving them the option to choose by themself before the start of the tournament, if their results will be counted for them (so that they would be able to win the tournament ranking but also could end at the bottom of the tableau) or if their results would be ignored for them (so that they will not be listed in the ranking at all, regardless if they would be on top or at bottom)?

(

like e.g.

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Division_2_1948/49#1.FC_Saarbr%C3%BCcken%E2%80%93_sportlicher_und_politischer_Streitfall

or

https://www.spiegel.de/sport/fussball/wm-2022-katar-spielt-in-europaeischer-qualifikation-mit-um-besser-zu-werden-a-537c9703-84dd-45a9-b5a3-6633074ed3d7

)

So that it would be made easier for players to participate, as they wouldn't have to bother about ending at the bottom of the ranking, which could be a pretty frustrating/disappointing imagination... As said, I do not want to push that thought at the very last minute, but maybe we could win with this option some more players for taking part in the tournament, if giving this option would be OK for the participants-as-yet? (just asking)

Concerning map suggestions: I think it really doesn't matter for me, because the game's outcome will be the same for me on whatever map ;-), but what is just coming to my mind are maps like Along The River, New Zealand, Europe, The Great Lakes – Ports In Danger (don't know if anything of them is balanced/fitting for tournament-play), but I would play on every given map, of course (and if I don't win, it will have just been the „wrong map“ every single time, of course, too face-wink.png )

Do I understand it right, that to install and test the release candidate version, one has to deinstall version 1.0 before? But that the saveloading data / old games data did not get lost by changing the versions?

Sorry for the long post!

(

P.S.:

By the way, in the long term, for the next tournaments, maybe we could ttry to find out with a polling or so, for what different reasons other players didn't participate in tournaments in the past, so that we maybe could alter the tournaments that way that it would become even more attractive to other players to participate. E.g. if the thought of getting slaughtered/overrun by the best players is not that nice, as I can understand, then maybe future tournaments could be split in one way or the other, e.g. that first everyone plays everyone („group stage“), and after that the better half of the players play each other to dtermine the tournament winner, and the lower half of the players play for the „Golden Ananas award“ or the „Golden flag award“ or whatever. g (split play-off stage), so that there would be more games between players which are on a similar level... like e.g. https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Play-off#Andere_Fu%C3%9Fball-Play-offs

Or, like in e.g. sports competiitons, it could be a possibility to have one competition for the stronger players (first/major/champions league / widelands league 1) and another one for the weaker players (second/minor/conference league / widelands league 2), and every player could every year choose for a new and freely in which of that two tournament groups he wants to participate (so that there would not only be an Erstligameister, but a Zweitligameister also). But all of that are just vague ideas for a different thread to come, not proposed suggestions.

)

Edited: 2022-08-27, 22:58

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2022-08-28, 11:04

Hello Seefahrer,

Welcome to the tournament. I fully understand the thoughts you mentioned about getting slaughtered and having no fun from it. They are quite similar to the thoughts I had before starting my first tournament. I as well normally like to play slowly and long matches. Preferably scenarios, which is why I joined development to contribute some. And I started to improve the AI because to make matches against it more interesting.

Playing online versus a real person is however a completely different thing. You need to play quick as your opponent will. And this gives some sort of intese thrill. So if you want to play as best as you can you will have some pressure which hopefully just comes from the will to play as good as you can. If others and even all others are playing stronger, you might lern something from watching the replay. So you still gain something for participating.

During my first tournament I just wanted to see how this feels like and I was evaluating balance in these days. However though I will definitly loose some matches, I won some of them though and I always learned something. So I really get fun from playing online from time to time while keeping my playing habits in normal games.

So please give it a try. And don't bother about loosing. If we get more new players (please advertise for this) you will get to play to them automatically by the swiss tournament system. that will be applied due to the tournament being limited for 5 rounds.

Regarding peaceful mode this makes only sense with collectors as for all other win conditions you just don't need much economy to simply rush and get the most of the land. Which takes a lot of complexity out of the game. So I really are not in favor for this however as the rules say it is allowed if your opponent agrees.

About not wanting to be listed in the ranking, you might see it from this point. You are listed and this means you were brave enough to participate, which is still more honour then never having tried. I believe it might not be good motivitaion for other players to play against you if it does not count. And it would make my job harder, as it would impair with the swiss system. So please understand I woukd not love to do so.

So thanks for participating and try to just have fun.

Edit: the idea for the poll is quite a good one. I will set up one soon.

Edit 2: you need to install the new version, but it is possible to have 2 versions in parallel. Both versions normally share the home directory where the savegames and other user data is stored. But you may start the dev version with the --homedir=<alternative homedir> command to have the homedirs separated. The same can be done with the --datadir= command for the datadir, but this should not be necessary. If you need techn ical help just ask.

Edited: 2022-08-28, 11:09

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2022-08-31, 21:25

Unfortunately I had not that much time to playtest enough maps for all rounds yet.
However I found a map suitable for the first round fulfilling my criteria:

so the first round will be played on:
https://www.widelands.org/maps/crater-lake/

Edited: 2022-08-31, 21:26

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Version: Recent tournament version
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2022-09-01, 17:05

In case the participant number stays odd: Anybody willing to get the break in the first round, or not willing to? I could imagine it, as I dont have too much time these days.

Wanted to save the world, then I got widetracked

Top Quote
tothxa
Version: some new PR I'm testing
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2022-09-01, 20:23

I'm thinking about participating if noone else shows up to make the number even, but I'd probably only be able to play late nights. And of course I'd be competing for last place with Seefahrer. face-smile.png

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2022-09-01, 21:23

tothxa wrote:

I'm thinking about participating if noone else shows up to make the number even, but I'd probably only be able to play late nights. And of course I'd be competing for last place with Seefahrer. face-smile.png

how do you define late nigth?
I would be happy for another new participant.

Edited: 2022-09-01, 21:24

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2022-09-01, 21:29

Ok,
for the friends of smaller maps I found an interesting one for Round 2:

https://www.widelands.org/maps/inselkrieger/

If no objections until Sunday this will be round 2.

Edited: 2022-09-01, 21:29

Top Quote