Latest Posts

Topic: Tournament 2022

WorldSavior
Version: Recent tournament version
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2022-08-15, 18:23

Nilpanda wrote:

that means, the release comes after the tournament?

Yes.

First, a ReleaseCandidate will be released. Then there will be the tournament. Later the 1.1 can be released.

Edited: 2022-08-15, 18:24

Wanted to save the world, then I got widetracked

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2022-08-15, 20:11

WorldSavior wrote:

Nilpanda wrote:

Yes.

First, a ReleaseCandidate will be released. Then there will be the tournament. Later the 1.1 can be released.

Exactly. One purpose of the tournament besides having fun playing is to test the Release Candidate intensively.
However with only 5 participants so far, the fun as well as testing is reduced significantly. So please everybody feel free to subscribe and make some advertiements on the server or wherever you deem it appropriate.

Top Quote
Nilpanda
Version: 1.1
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2022-08-15, 20:15

Thanks for your help.

Edited: 2022-08-16, 15:58

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2022-08-15, 20:26

Well,
I try to choose maps where a game won't take longer then 2-3 hours. And even if you can't play one round you may be able to play others.
So unless you are not offline for 2 month in te next time you might subscribe.

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Version: Recent tournament version
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2022-08-15, 20:41

hessenfarmer wrote:

Well,
I try to choose maps where a game won't take longer then 2-3 hours.

I've suggested maps like this. At the other hand, the suggestion of Nordfriese might be a map for long or very long play, as lots of rocks are separating the two players. Most likely longer than 3h.

Wanted to save the world, then I got widetracked

Top Quote
Nordfriese
Version: Latest master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2022-08-15, 20:51

hessenfarmer wrote:

WorldSavior wrote:

Nilpanda wrote:

Yes.

Exactly. One purpose of the tournament besides having fun playing is to test the Release Candidate intensively.

Well actually the release candidate is always published 1 week before the final release. One purpose of the tournament is to find bugs that should be fixed before the release, and once the RC is out it receives only the most critical backports, unless so many not-critical-but-important bugs are found that they warrant a second release candidate. The tournament starts when the development version is in the state that will later become the release candidate, except that there may still be fixes for newly found bugs as well as translation updates.

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2022-08-15, 21:14

WorldSavior wrote:

I've suggested maps like this. At the other hand, the suggestion of Nordfriese might be a map for long or very long play, as lots of rocks are separating the two players. Most likely longer than 3h.

I agree about the stones issue in the map that Nordfriese suggested. However i like the Landscape and layout of the map. Therefore I thought about making a tournament version with less stones, allowing for a 3 hours match.

I have difficulties with your suggestions though:
1. I believe we had Crater and wisent_valley already a couple of times in a tournament. (although they are great balanced maps)
2. The other maps you suggested are only optimized for gameplay but do not provide a nice look (mostly because being flat)
3. Rautental might be a candidate from its look, However for my taste the players are to close on this map. Maybe I might make a version with players beeing in the north and south and use it .

Some days ago I played a match on Elven Forests which was about 3 hours and I really loved the map. However I don't know whether we had this in a tournament yet.

Top Quote
the-x
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2022-08-16, 09:49

hessenfarmer wrote:

Participants:

1. hessenfarmer
  2. Nordfriese
  3. Mars
  4. kaputtnik
  5. WorldSavior

Will be an intresting Tournament, first time to see Nordfriese playing face-smile.png - count me in as 6th Participant

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2022-08-22, 19:44

Well,
so far we have only 6 Participants, for me this is the lowest number, for which holding a tournament would make sense.
So the good news is the tournament will take place.
However to probably get more players and in light of still a bug or 2 are to be fixed I will allow another 2 weeks for subscriptions.

So the tournament will start at september 5th. I will prepare a maps addon to be used for the tournament in order to have everybody using the same maps.

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2022-08-24, 18:28

Isn't it possible to have a sentence with information about the tournament in the lobby chat box?

Always when i open the lobby, or enter the IRC channel #widelands (where the lobby gets mirrored) i see people playing this game. Ok, not always, but often, at least regularly. So having a sentence, possibly highlighted, informing about a tournament, there might be some people who wants to participate.

Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote