Latest Posts

Topic: Better Scaling of Buildings and Goods

hessenfarmer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2022-03-23, 11:34

Well had alook at the warehouses. and it looked fine. Many thanks
2 questions: which ones did you adjust? Wouild you like to add them as PR for review and merging into master?

Top Quote
tothxa
Version: some new PR I'm testing
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2022-03-23, 11:59

Decreased: sawmill, shipyard (and ferry yard, which is the same), lumberjack, quarry

Increased: blockhouse (very slightly), sentry, sheepfarm and piggery (unified with farm and donkeyfarm), and all the big warehouses, military and training sites. Maybe I overshot a little with arena/colosseum and fortress/castle.

Yes, I will make a PR, but I'd like to get the first rounds of feedback and adjustments outside of git.

Edited: 2022-03-23, 19:43

Top Quote
tothxa
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2022-03-23, 23:15

There's a typo in the outpost's init.lua. The hotspot should be 60,78.

Top Quote
tothxa
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2022-03-25, 15:16

Re: scaling

I mostly tried to make door sizes the same for the same building size. The sentry is a problem though. It became too big, but at smaller size its door is too small. This must be corrected in Blender, but I'm not sure I'm ready for it.

There's also the problem that these old buildings were not really designed with the available space in mind, so medium buildings need a smaller scale to fit the available space than small ones. But I don't want to decrease small ones either, because then they'd be too small compared to the newer tribes. This is mostly acceptable, but e.g. the sawmill is only very slightly bigger than the woodcutter this way.

So please, whoever is interested in getting high resolution graphics for the old tribes, please test this and give your opinion on the above dilemmas.

Top Quote
tothxa
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2022-03-25, 23:31

I've found another bug: the mill has rows and columns mixed up. (columns should be 10, rows should be 2)

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2022-04-22, 23:39

Ok I took alook at the scalings:

• sheep farm and pigger are fine as they math the farm
  • decreasing lumberjack and quarry would lead to inconsistency with hunter for example.
    . sawmill is very small now
    . blockhouse and sentry should be scaled in the same way (if at all) as a blockhouse can be advanced to a sentry so their scale should match
  • colloseum is very big as well now.

so from my perspective for the moment being it would be good to keep the farms adjusted as they should all be of equal size, but all other scaling changes are probably not mature enough or would require complete rescaling of other buildings as well.

but you would get more feedback in git I believe,
Anyhow a thousand thanks for doing this and at least cure the ugly graphics if zoomed in on high resolution momitors

edit: I did not test them in game I just used gimp for comparison

Edited: 2022-04-22, 23:40

Top Quote
tothxa
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2022-04-23, 00:26

hessenfarmer wrote:

• decreasing lumberjack and quarry would lead to inconsistency with hunter for example.

They were already reduced to better match the hunter/forester family. Have a look at current master: they are huge there.

. sawmill is very small now

Yes, I will increase it back a little.

. blockhouse and sentry should be scaled in the same way (if at all) as a blockhouse can be advanced to a sentry so their scale should match

I tried to make them match, but allowed the sentry to get a little bigger with its heavier stone walls. I'll reduce them to make them match the fisher, which has the same base as the blockhouse, but I made it smaller. Probably reduce slightly the fisher too first, to better match the overall building size of the other small ones, and ignore the door size.

• colloseum is very big as well now.

I'll reduce it (and arena to match) closer to the old size.

but you would get more feedback in git I believe,

Yes, it looks so... face-sad.png After the above adjustments I'll test it some more, and make a PR for the next round. I'm not sure if I can do it in the weekend, but I'll make it a priority for next week. Also to do the "final" blender exports of Atlanteans and Barbarians.

edit: I did not test them in game I just used gimp for comparison

I noticed some of the problems only in a real game.

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2022-04-23, 00:31

having a pr would allow for testing in game much easier. It would also allow to build a setup with all buildings and compare from old to new in a screenshot. So PR is the way to go I believe. Maybe it should be 3 PR one for each tribe.

Top Quote