Latest Posts

Topic: mouse jumps and scrolling with right mouse button too fast

Gaben22
Topic Opener
Ranking
Just found this site
Posted at: 2022-04-18, 16:25

Hi everyone,

I looked around for bugs/enhancements reported but found none for below 2 issues I experienced and that got me thinking maybe they are only on my side. Could you suggest what to do or what could cause these 2 below?

- When I build something the cursor behaves similar to old Settlers II (smart cursor) and it points to the "right place" when a dialog (route building...) pops up but right after that the problem even for the slightest mouse move the cursor jumps diagonally to top left. It seems it jumps always to the same spot (which is not the screen corner btw). Tried playing with the "system cursor" checkbox but no change. Also tried full screen and non-full screen, same. Unfortunately it is a bit annoying.
- If I hold down the right mouse button, I can scroll on the map but even the smallest mouse move (less than 1mm) causes almost a full map jump, in other words it is extremely "fast".

The funny thing both issues can be reproduced in "Return to the Roots". Exact same behavior. Really odd. This got me thinking this must be an issue on my side only. Could you give me a few suggestions how to try to fix it?

I use Arch Linux, updated everything. Tried with Widelands release 1.0 and with latest version from git (21+r25720_20220416_7a29036-1).

These were the packages Widelands made me install:
installed asio (1.20.0-1)
installed glu (9.0.2-2)
installed glew (2.2.0-2)
installed sdl2_image (2.0.5-2)
installed opusfile (0.12-1)
installed sdl2_mixer (2.0.4-7)
installed sdl2_ttf (2.0.18-1)
installed widelands-git (21+r25720_20220416_7a29036-1)

Edited: 2022-04-18, 16:26

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2022-04-18, 16:46

Hi Gaben22 and welcome to the forums face-smile.png

I am also on archlinux but i do not get this strange effects. I remember there was a similar bug report long (long) time ago, can't find find it … probably it was closed as won't fix, i don't know anymore.

Did you tried with another mouse? Maybe a mouse connected with a cable?

Which graphics card do you use?

• If I hold down the right mouse button, I can scroll on the map but even the smallest mouse move (less than 1mm) causes almost a full map jump, in other words it is extremely "fast".

Sometimes i get this also, but i think this is related to automatic saves Glad to have the POS1-shortcut face-smile.png

Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote
Gaben22
Topic Opener
Ranking
Just found this site
Posted at: 2022-04-18, 18:37

Hi Kaputtnik, thank you for answering. Good news, based on your suggestion I may have narrowed down the issue. I use an old Ati Radeon 7990 (dual GPU) card with AMDGPU (mesa 22.0.1-3) but looks this is not the culprit. My daily driver is a wired mouse but as you suggested I connected an other one, restarted (just in case...) and this time no issues. This got me thinking and I remembered I have 1 very specific setting with my daily driver mouse in ~/.bash_profile:

xinput set-prop 'SINOWEALTH Wired Gaming Mouse' 185 0.63 0.0 0.0, 0.0 0.63 0.0, 0.0 0.0 1.0

This sets the mouse speed/acceleration based on my taste. If I comment above out and restart (again, just in case :D), the issues cannot be reproduced with my daily driver mouse either. If I execute above command and start Widelands, they come back.

I need to make 1 correction on my original "report", when the xinput set-props... "enabled" the right mouse button scroll looks completly ignores the direction of the mouse movement and it just moves top left diagonally no matter what I do. The "angle" similar to my first observation (pointer jumping top left after every left "click type action").

Thank you for the suggestion this pretty much solved my problem but now I am wondering if this is specific to my setup or this is a potential issue? I never had problems with this mouse. Yesterday I played Corsix-TH a bit and no issues observed there. BTW I went back to 1.0 release and tried above with that.
Edited: 2022-04-18, 18:59

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2022-04-18, 19:39

Might be an SDL issue?

widelands is close to a new release (1.1) so playing the current development version should be fine. In general the development versions are running fine face-smile.png

Glad you found the reason for your issue!

Top Quote
Gaben22
Topic Opener
Ranking
Just found this site
Posted at: 2022-04-18, 20:45

It could be very well an SDL issue. I installed OpenTTD (did not know I did not have it installed, shame on me :D) which is, based on their development page, also uses libSDL2 (although pacman is not showing it as a dependency, looks it is compile time dependency, maybe statically compiled?). I managed to reproduce the right mouse button scroll behavior. Exact same thing is happening on OpenTTD with scrolling.

If I switch from:

xinput set-prop 'SINOWEALTH Wired Gaming Mouse' 185 0.63 0.0 0.0, 0.0 0.63 0.0, 0.0 0.0 1.0

to:
xinput set-prop 'SINOWEALTH Wired Gaming Mouse' 185 1.0 0.0 0.0, 0.0 1.0 0.0, 0.0 0.0 1.0

And play OpenTTD right mouse button scrolling works exactly as it should. Probably the cursor jump could be reproduced too although I cannot recall any action that would do cursor focusing the same way as Settlers II did.

Could you advice how to proceed, should I report this and if so how and where? Maybe here: http://bugzilla.libsdl.org/ ?
Top Quote
kaputtnik
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2022-04-19, 18:06

Could you advice how to proceed, should I report this and if so how and where? Maybe here: http://bugzilla.libsdl.org/ ?

You can try that. But AFAIK Corsix-TH does also use SDL so i am not sure if this is really an SDL issue. Maybe wait for a developer with more knowledge about this SDL stuff for an answer.

Top Quote
Gaben22
Topic Opener
Ranking
Just found this site
Posted at: 2022-04-19, 21:45

I tried Corsix-TH again but in there there is no right mouse button scroll only edge scroll. Would that be acceptable to report this issue on Widelands issues page too? I would need to be "game specific" (in other words non-technical) with describing my issue on SDL issues and maybe they won't accept that.

Top Quote