Topic: Fish and hammer

BoeseKaiser
Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2022-04-15, 11:39

Hi everyone,

I have new questions (the one might be a bug/undesired effect) :

• How exactely is the hammer production supposed to work, at least with barbarians ? Is there a condition like "if you have no builder in headquarters, produce a hammer even if target is 0" ? See this saved game, around 1:56 (it's a "bare minimum" start condition). It created a hammer, even though i explicitely configured my economy to only ask for a pick and made sure that i didn't have any construction site lacking a builder. My only other hypothesis is that it created a demand when i started the construction site of the iron mine (my builder was building the tavern) so at this point i "needed" 2 builders, but that was long before the metal workshop had the ressources to build the next tool. So my question is : Why the hammer instead of the pick (for the barbarian player at 1:56), and is that the way it's intended to be?

• Do fishers only fish at the coast? the first playtest version of the map "battle for the middle stripe" showed a couple of fishing hut and fish breeder "out of fish" even though there were plenty of fish in the see! I added the fish at the coast in the uploaded version though.

Attachment:
2022-03-03T20.47.58_nethost.wrpl.wgf (196.1 KB)

Top Quote
BoeseKaiser
Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2022-04-15, 11:45

Oopsie, now I read the entry about attachment ^^ here are the files

Attachment:
WLReplays.zip (1.4 MB)

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2022-04-15, 12:18

How exactely is the hammer production supposed to work, at least with barbarians ? Is there a condition like "if you have no builder in headquarters, produce a hammer even if target is 0" ?

Yes. The economy targets are only relevant to produce for the stock. If all economy targets are set to 0 the whole economy works in produce on demand mode, that is: Whenever a tool is needed it will be produced.

See also:

Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2022-04-15, 12:26

Oh forgotten about the fishers: AFAIK they are only fishing at the coast.

There is also an other issue: placing resources after placing fish on the same spot may remove the fish resource

Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote
BoeseKaiser
Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2022-04-15, 13:42

Great, thanks for the answers. Seems like this topic have been discussed enough ^^

I guess the fact that the request is centralised in the warehouse is also the reason why the builder didn't go from one construction site directly to the next one, but went to the warehouse first? I would have expected the builder to behave like wares, (or other workers if i'm not mistaken? i don't recall lumberjacks or stonemansons to go through the warehouse while switching them between different production sites) that directly go to the place where they are needed.

Top Quote
mxb2001
Version: 1.1
Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2022-04-15, 17:41

Hey nice to see ya back BK, we played online a year or two ago. : )

As for the fishers I can actually say that I've spent an inordinate amount of time watching them work and they do only work on the shores. It does make sense, they can't swim it seems. Nor do they own boats. : ) I can also add that fishers will NOT fish where there is a flag or road! So I've learned not to build fish houses NW from the shore since that tends to put the flag and at least one road segment on the shore.

Oh and to prove I've really watched them: They tend to go to the same spot repeatedly. In fact they prefer nodes where there is 5 water next to it the most. So their favourite fishing spots are peninsulas that stick out into the water.

The same holds for the breeders (I was watching Atl.)

Edited: 2022-04-15, 17:42

--
To Boldly Go Where No Man Has Gone Before

Top Quote
BoeseKaiser
Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2022-04-16, 10:25

mxb2001 wrote:

I remember. Still disapointed at myself that i didn't play better this game face-wink.png

As for the fishers I can actually say that I've spent an inordinate amount of time watching them work and they do only work on the shores. It does make sense, they can't swim it seems. Nor do they own boats. : ) I can also add that fishers will NOT fish where there is a flag or road! So I've learned not to build fish houses NW from the shore since that tends to put the flag and at least one road segment on the shore.

I only watched them 10 minutes, you are the professional here :p The SE flag makes it quite hard to make some really balanced maps. What annoyed me last time : ports constructed N/NW from the shore will not always be able to have more than 2 , mby 3 roads attached to them. That can slow things down a lot.

Oh and to prove I've really watched them: They tend to go to the same spot repeatedly. In fact they prefer nodes where there is 5 water next to it the most. So their favourite fishing spots are peninsulas that stick out into the water.

The same holds for the breeders (I was watching Atl.)

That's interesting. Mby i have to start watching fishers too. Last time i did spend some time watching the hunter try and catch the rabbit!

Top Quote
mxb2001
Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2022-04-16, 21:16

BoeseKaiser wrote:

mxb2001 wrote:

I remember. Still disapointed at myself that i didn't play better this game face-wink.png

Strange I thought you won...

I only watched them 10 minutes, you are the professional here :p The SE flag makes it quite hard to make some really balanced maps. What annoyed me last time : ports constructed N/NW from the shore will not always be able to have more than 2 , mby 3 roads attached to them. That can slow things down a lot.

Oh like in the Icy Welcome Frisian campaign game 2. The port starts in a spot where only 2 roads can leave. It hurts big time. Agree about the fixed direction of the entry flag, but I see that it is a old tradition that started with the original settlers game. It's probably very complicated to change too...

Professional ha! ; ) I have been getting a lot better recently, I think I almost am a competent player now.

That's interesting. Mby i have to start watching fishers too. Last time i did spend some time watching the hunter try and catch the rabbit!

Heh, yeah I sometimes see the hunter but often I turn away because I'm a animal lover and don't really like hunters. It's just bits and bytes but...

--

Top Quote
BoeseKaiser
Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2022-04-16, 21:47

mxb2001 wrote:

BoeseKaiser wrote:

mxb2001 wrote:

We played on Islands at War, right? iirc it took me forever to find coal and then i upgraded my toolsmithy too fast, which cost me the game. but maybe i'm mistaking that with an other game.

Oh like in the Icy Welcome Frisian campaign game 2. The port starts in a spot where only 2 roads can leave. It hurts big time. Agree about the fixed direction of the entry flag, but I see that it is a old tradition that started with the original settlers game. It's probably very complicated to change too...

Yeah the flag is not going anywhere :p I guess it's possible to work around while making the map. Or just build more ports, but that costs stuff face-wink.png

Professional ha! ; ) I have been getting a lot better recently, I think I almost am a competent player now.

let's check that some day face-wink.png

Heh, yeah I sometimes see the hunter but often I turn away because I'm a animal lover and don't really like hunters. It's just bits and bytes but...

yeah we need a vegan tribe :p i've started to think of a concept for a robots tribe, but it's probably gonna stay a thought.

Edited: 2022-04-16, 21:48

Top Quote
mxb2001
Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2022-04-17, 18:56

BoeseKaiser wrote:

mxb2001 wrote:

BoeseKaiser wrote:

mxb2001 wrote:

We played on Islands at War, right? iirc it took me forever to find coal and then i upgraded my toolsmithy too fast, which cost me the game. but maybe i'm mistaking that with an other game.

Nope that must have been someone else.

let's check that some day face-wink.png

I'm afraid. : ) <runs away>

yeah we need a vegan tribe :p i've started to think of a concept for a robots tribe, but it's probably gonna stay a thought.

Well, not quite vegetarianism... : ) I love CATS most and they love meat just like I do. Of course, if I had to catch and kill my own meat... yeah I'd turn veggie. I'm an awful hypocrite. Proud of that I am. : )

Robots tribe! How intriguing. What have you got so far?

--

Top Quote