Latest Posts

Topic: Imperial Inventory Oddity

mxb2001
Topic Opener
Version: 1.1
Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2022-04-02, 06:28

Why are marble/col not in same column as logs etc? And why is wool/cloth there? Seems backwards.

--
To Boldly Go Where No Man Has Gone Before

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2022-04-02, 11:14

According to the comments in the initialization script marble is in the 'mining-column'. I guess marble columns are also there because they depends on marble and the initial idea was to have dependent wares close to each other, like wool and cloth. The current order of the columns in the inventory is:

• Building materials
  • Food
  • Mining
  • Tools
  • Weapons and armor

Some wares belong to more than one of this columns, e.g. marble which can be in the 'Building material' or 'Mining'.

If you find another, more intuitive or logical, order of the inventory columns, just post it here. Changing the order is not a difficult task face-smile.png

Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote
tothxa
Version: some new PR I'm testing
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2022-04-02, 13:06

I think it is for consistency with other tribes:

inventory comparison

But it may make sense either way for Empire.

Actually Amazons logs should be after granite with the rare trees and like all other tribes, except for Frisians, where it may make sense to have granite and bricks next to each other.

Edited: 2022-04-02, 13:11

Attachment:
wares_all.png

Top Quote
mxb2001
Topic Opener
Version: 1.1
Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2022-04-02, 19:57

Ah I see, so the columns are building/food/mining/tools/weapons&armour.

Might it not be better, I'm wondering, to assign a priority to each column? I mean that wares that could go in column 1 go there and flowing on down to the right.

I noticed too the other anomaly is the Atlanteans, they also have the diamond/quartz in mining instead of construction.

As far as I can tell having marble/diamond in mining doesn't really help while playing (especially at start) because they aren't turned into other mining products.

In fact that is a oddity too. Construction materials are all needed as inputs while the Mining column is outputs.

I find the value of the construction column to be in the start of the game when you build a lot and need to see at a glance what you might need. I run my eye down it and note anything that is low and needs to be produced.

The mining column on the other hand is almost exclusively about iron/gold ingots. I don't remember ever needing to know how much marble or quartz I have in order to make iron (the ever quest!).

If marble and columns as well as quartz and diamonds were moved to column 1 it would make the mining column (or maybe it should be called the metal column!) identical for 3 tribes. The Amazons are unique but their 3 items are also needed to make gold. The Frisians are a tricky one. I don't know about those old fur garments... they don't make iron or gold... in fact come to think of it those are not "mining" products (well I guess they're being "mined" from the garbage haha) at all. But the scrap/mixed do belong there if it is seen as a metal column. The old fur may as well tag along since it doesn't belong in any column (well possibly the weapons/armour one but one would not want to pollute it with something else) Hmmm... or am I confused about the old fur... maybe it does make iron too.

Phew... I never imagined that a offhand query about the grouping in inventory might lead to such an analysis...

--
To Boldly Go Where No Man Has Gone Before

Top Quote