Latest Posts

Topic: using more paths for transport

kreshj
Topic Opener
Ranking
Just found this site
Posted at: 2022-01-15, 19:56

Hi all,

I just started playing this game but noticed the game does not try to transport the goods ASAP to the destination. When you make a parallel path, it wouldnt choose it at all, on exception if it would be faster. I remember from Settlers II the game would also use the alternative or parallel path to get goods from 1 route that needed to go to the destination and when a second route was made this was used also if the quickest route was getting too busy.

Is this done by design or still in progress?

Top Quote
BoeseKaiser
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2022-01-16, 11:58

Hi Kreshj, welcome.

I'm pretty sure that this is already the case, even though i cann't really give you the details of the algorithm. It might be capped (the ware might not make a 10 times longer way even if your streets are a deadlock, as an extreme example) and it might take some time before new wares are send along the new path (are the ware path recalculated every time a new road is build? Soldiers paths are when they arrive at a flag iirc).

I might be wrong though, most people here know these kind of things better than i do, so in doubt, trust them!

Edit : I looked at the code a bit right now, i couldn't find confirmation, but the pathing is done with a A* algorithm it seems, and i would be really surprised if the number of wares at a flag isn't included in the cost of going through this flag. But i couldn't find the exact spot in the code.

Edited: 2022-01-16, 12:30

Top Quote
Lawrence
Version: 19 and 1.1
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2022-01-19, 15:27

Hi Guys

I have found that sometimes when my roads get clogged I need to remove a road and put it back again in the exact same place to get things moving. I am sure my wares that are waiting at the road junction are not lost by this activity and my carriers are soon moving normally again. face-smile.png

On a related but different issue, I find that sometimes my miners and other factory workers stop working and the pop up message says the ware is not required even though I need a ware at another location and it just is not coming even if I wait for a very long time.

I have found a solution is to open the ware window of the building that is in need and move the quantity markers backwards and forwards a couple of times. I also move the delivery urgency points from the top to the bottom and back up a couple of times. Very soon after I do this the ware begins to become produced and manufacturing operations resume. face-smile.png

Accept the challenge to excel with the humility to receive help.

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2022-01-19, 21:05

Lawrence wrote:

Hi Guys

I have found that sometimes when my roads get clogged I need to remove a road and put it back again in the exact same place to get things moving. I am sure my wares that are waiting at the road junction are not lost by this activity and my carriers are soon moving normally again. face-smile.png

well the next destination is stored with the ware (if not the complete path), AFAIK, so destroying a flag might trigger recalculation of path and next destination. To be confirmed by a dev with more knowledge. I am not sure whther the wares will be preserved in thgis case.

On a related but different issue, I find that sometimes my miners and other factory workers stop working and the pop up message says the ware is not required even though I need a ware at another location and it just is not coming even if I wait for a very long time.

It might be the case the wares are available in another location in your economy and might need a lot of time to travel (especially if seafaring is involved. So with a growing economy and territory it is recommendable to increase economy settings and built warehouses.

I have found a solution is to open the ware window of the building that is in need and move the quantity markers backwards and forwards a couple of times. I also move the delivery urgency points from the top to the bottom and back up a couple of times. Very soon after I do this the ware begins to become produced and manufacturing operations resume. face-smile.png

Top Quote