Latest Posts

Topic: Revert Font on the main menu screen

stonerl
Topic Opener
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2022-01-06, 15:22

With build 20 or so, we had a contribution from a user, who designed a new font for the main menu screen. Although the font does not look bad, it does not fit with the overall theme. The splash screen still uses the classic font and also on the website we use it. I'd vote for reverting the main menu font to the one we used before build 20 so that we have a unified look.

In general, I think that the classic font is a fundamental design element if Widelands.

What is your opinion on this?

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2022-01-06, 15:42

having the same font of our logo in all places would be nice. But we should keep the different colors of the instances.
maybe we should do a poll on this as I am currently undecided which one I like more.

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2022-01-06, 16:10

The font is still the same, but Nuytren has changed the colors

Or didn't you refer to the logo?

Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote
Nordfriese
Version: Latest master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2022-01-07, 18:45

We have at least three colour schemes: The one from the website and editor loading screen (bright top, dark bottom – that's the "old" one), the one from the splashscreen (unified pale parchment-like), and the main menu one (pale yellow/gold with slight shading). Changing the main menu one to the old one would result in two colour schemes which would look like a bug, whereas three schemes look like a deliberate design choice. So I'd vote to keep it as it is.

Top Quote
stonerl
Topic Opener
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2022-01-08, 16:10

@Nordfriese, that is true, indeed. Would it be preferable to have one that fits all? I know that this might be especially complicated with the one from the splash screen. But I could try to unify them. I just need to know if this is an idea worth pursuing, before I spend time on it.

Top Quote
Nordfriese
Version: Latest master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2022-01-08, 16:33

I agree with the first post that the new main menu logo is not really consistent with the overall style of Widelands, and in my opinion the same is true to a lesser extent about the rather colourless splash screen heading. So it would have to be the website/editor style. I like that one best of the three and wouldn't be opposed to using it everywhere, but there's one point I'm a bit concerned about: IIRC when the main menu logo was redesigned, one reason given was that the old logo has worse readability due to its variegated shading. However this was when viewed against the old-style cave background, so it might no longer be an issue (and possibly even improve contrast) against the new backgrounds.

So, in brief, if the old logo looks no worse against the main menu backgrounds than the new one, +1 for using the old one for all occurrences.

Top Quote