Latest Posts

Topic: Ship AI and Cargo capacity

hessenfarmer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2021-11-18, 18:43

@littlekatana
regarding your question about differences in other computer games (e.g. patrician):
Well, I think Widelands has a very unique concept, where the most crucial part to master in the game is to get the transportatiton system set up to cope with a growing economy. Having a general storage would render our roads and flags and carriers useless. as we wouldn't need any road system.
so it is import to think always on having no bottlenecks in the road system concentrate some industries in near spots (to only need to transport processed goods), have the right amount of warehouses in the right spot and finally micromanage all this to work efficiently. This complexity makes for long term fun imho as there is always room for improvement.
regarding soldier stationing you can do this with the warehouse controls in the workers tab (just select prefereed for soldiers in the warehouse you want them to go)
But I agree on Kapputniks view that as you get used to micromanage you miss some of these possibilities for ports.

Edited: 2021-11-18, 18:48

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2021-11-18, 18:47

littlekatana wrote:

This friend speaks my mind. It can be a bit frustrating to play a game you have little-to-no control over.

I'm having a hard time wrapping my brain around the priorities. I figure since the economy is all linked, it would be hard to decide one production facility as a priority over the others. Would it work short term to fix my fish>inn problem, but then what else suffers after a while?

I believe this is what the game is all about: fixing or better avoiding all these little economic problems that arise during a game. I am playing this for a long time now and I never ever managed to not run into any trouble in the economy. Only very few players manage widelands in a way to fully avoid this I believe.

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2021-11-18, 19:01

Ah, i forgot:

To solve the fish/inn problem you can try the following: Set Fish in your Inns to zero, probably wait a few seconds and set them to maximum again.

Internally reducing the fish in your Inns to zero will delete the request(s). After setting them to full again some new requests will be started and this new requests may choose fish which is closer to the Inns.

Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote