Latest Posts

Topic: Frisian poor hamlet start

feanorelf
Topic Opener
Ranking
Just found this site
Posted at: 2021-11-01, 23:12

Hello.
I have been trying the poor hamlet start as Frisian, but I am afraid I am doing something wrong in my sequence:

first I use the only piece of iron I have to produce fire tongs for the furnace.
Then I try to use the 4 pieces of iron that remain to put myself in condition to mine by making, in sequence:
- a berry farm -> shovel
- a fruit collector -> basket
- a forester's house -> shovel again (maybe I should skip this, but I see no other way not to run out of wood)
- a mine (hoping it contains iron) -> pick
- a tavern. Here I try to use my last chunk of iron to make kitchen tools, and they get never produced. 1 iron and 1 log are consumed, but I can seen the kitchen tools nowhere?

Is there a precise sequence to be followed to have the kitchen tools produced, different than the one I am following? I've tried googling for it, but no success.

Thanks

Edited: 2021-11-01, 23:12

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Version: Recent tournament version
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2021-11-02, 01:38

feanorelf wrote:

Hello. I have been trying the poor hamlet start as Frisian, but I am afraid I am doing something wrong in my sequence:

first I use the only piece of iron I have to produce fire tongs for the furnace. Then I try to use the 4 pieces of iron that remain to put myself in condition to mine by making, in sequence: - a berry farm -> shovel - a fruit collector -> basket - a forester's house -> shovel again (maybe I should skip this, but I see no other way not to run out of wood) - a mine (hoping it contains iron) -> pick - a tavern. Here I try to use my last chunk of iron to make kitchen tools, and they get never produced. 1 iron and 1 log are consumed, but I can seen the kitchen tools nowhere?

Is there a precise sequence to be followed to have the kitchen tools produced, different than the one I am following? I've tried googling for it, but no success.

Thanks

Hi, Frisian baskets dont cost any metal. But your choice of buildings is correct. So maybe the Iron has got lost somewhere else. Maybe you have build at any time 2 buildings at once, so an additional hammer gets requested for an additional builder? Or have you used a geologist?

Wanted to save the world, then I got widetracked

Top Quote
PeterPiper
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2024-01-06, 23:37

I have also have been starting with a poor hamlet as a frisian, but seeing if I can "catch up" to the AI starting with a Headquarter. I have managed it twice but on "Elven Forests" I cannot get going because there are not enough trees around to turn into logs (to turn into Coal....) so that I can make a shovel for a forester. Am I correct in the assumption that a poor hamlet start only works on a map offering enough trees and stone (and maybe even iron a bit later) near the starting point? Thanks

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2024-01-07, 10:42

If there are not enough trees or stones around the player is awarded with some extra logs or stones. I will check wether this is sufficient for Frisians on Elven Forest.
Which start position did you play.

Top Quote
PeterPiper
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2024-01-07, 11:27

Blue. Note that I am playing on version 1.0 whice was downloaded in 2021. Maybe I should get a more up to date version. But I am not very keen on always bothering to download the newest versions - the older versions are fun too. It is just hard to follow the forum when the differences get too large. Thank you again.

Edited: 2024-01-07, 11:31

Top Quote
tothxa
Version: some new PR I'm testing
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2024-01-07, 13:43

The fix is only in the development version, but it's a lua only change, so it should work in 1.0 too. Only it fixed the common helper function, so it's not trivial to make an add-on out of it, but patching the datafile or creating an add-on with a fixed poor hamlet for v1.0 should still be possible.

Top Quote
PeterPiper
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2024-01-07, 15:50

I must admit that all this business of add-on's, patching and datafiles is over my head. (Friesische Dorfer to me.) I just play.

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2024-01-07, 21:09

Ok poor hamlet does also work on Elven Forest with blue.
This startcondition is meant as a puzzle and the puzzle is not always the same. On this map you need to get wood but there isn't enough around your start position.

Well maybe there are some further trees in the vicinity ....
building and dismantling a sentinel does only take 1 reed, as the other building wares are tunred back when dismantling.

Hope this helps without spoiling too much.

Top Quote
PeterPiper
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2024-01-08, 21:23

Thank you for your tips!

Top Quote
tothxa
Version: some new PR I'm testing
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2024-01-09, 22:31

PeterPiper wrote:

I must admit that all this business of add-on's, patching and datafiles is over my head.

Sorry, I meant that I would have made an add-on if it had been the trivial case. I may still do it, though I can't actually test it on v1.0 any more.

Top Quote