Latest Posts

Topic: Frisian Campaign - Mission 3 - Bug?

Firlan
Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2021-07-29, 20:18

Hi,

first, I want to say huge thanks for this wonderful game. I've been playing for 5 years now, since I migrated from Windows to Linux and discovered it. Widelands was great when I started with and got dramatically better which each release version (for example being able to set parameters for buildings to be applied when construction is completed or choosing which soldiers in vicinity should attack and which not, and, of course, the Frisians and now the Amazons!)

I continued the Frisian Campaign this week with the new third mission. After I left the "Icy Desert" and headed north again, I encountered Romans, but got stuck. All the coast is inhabited by them, there is no port space. I assume there should be, or am I missing something?

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2021-07-29, 21:36

In this case you had been to slow I am afraid. However there is a bug in the scenario AI which makes it hard to predict AI behaviour and balancing it. If you save a scenario early and restart from the save the AI is performing much better then before. Or in other words it performs worse then normal from a scenario start until the first save and reload.
Although this might feel as cheating you might try to use this knowledge for winning the mission. Unfortunately we haven't found the root cause of this and so we aren't able to fix it.

Oh, and I almost forgot a warm welcom to the forums and thanks for the flowers. Glad you enjoyed the progress.

Top Quote
Firlan
Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2021-07-29, 22:45

Thank you very much for your quick reply!

I played the mission on default difficulty (very hard). I needed 10 hours game time (on 4x speed, with depleted mines) to get strong enough to attack the Atlanteans on their island. So, if there is a kind of time limit given by the Romans progress, I think this mission is too hard as it is and it's a bad ending to get stuck, if not been fast enough, after playing about 20 hours to get to this point.

Thanks again for your answer, problem solved face-wink.png

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2021-07-29, 23:01

Firlan wrote:

Thank you very much for your quick reply!

I played the mission on default difficulty (very hard). I needed 10 hours game time (on 4x speed, with depleted mines) to get strong enough to attack the Atlanteans on their island. So, if there is a kind of time limit given by the Romans progress, I think this mission is too hard as it is and it's a bad ending to get stuck, if not been fast enough, after playing about 20 hours to get to this point.

Well, the frisian campaign is intended to be very hard, however I fully agree you shouldn't get stuck, you should either loose or win. So maybe @Nordfriese could think about triggering the cooperative solution if the island is completely settled by the romans and the player sees them finally with a ship.

Thanks again for your answer, problem solved face-wink.png

thanks for the feedback and congrats you came that far in the campaign

Top Quote
Firlan
Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2021-07-29, 23:12

hessenfarmer wrote: thanks for the feedback and congrats you came that far in the campaign

Thanks, it's been mainly a matter of patience with those extremely strong opponents (but you need to know a lot about the game too)

Top Quote
Firlan
Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2021-07-29, 23:19

I'm longing for the ability to attack from ships. I read it will come to the game in near future. This will solve the matter basically, not only at this mission, but at many maps too.

Top Quote
Nordfriese
Version: Latest master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2021-07-30, 12:30

Well, the frisian campaign is intended to be very hard, however I fully agree you shouldn't get stuck, you should either loose or win. So maybe @Nordfriese could think about triggering the cooperative solution if the island is completely settled by the romans and the player sees them finally with a ship.

See also https://www.widelands.org/forum/topic/5256/
However before I start working on any changes here I'd like to see the backlog of open pull requests ease off a bit more face-wink.png

Top Quote
Firlan
Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2021-07-30, 14:44

Thanks for the link! I read there, that you initially used a debris barrier that vanished later to prevent the Romans from occupying the port space. I regret you didn't stick to it. As long as it is not possible to attack from sea such measures are indispensible in my opinion. I also read that you removed it, because the Romans developed way to slowly with it, but I think that could have been fixed in many other ways too, for example by enlarging their island and giving them more space.

Many thanks for all your dedication in developing this game further! I agree, this issue is not an urgent one face-wink.png

Top Quote
Firlan
Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2021-08-02, 14:50

Update:

I restarted the mission, chose the easiest difficulty (still rated "hard", deservedly) and played anxious to be quick this time. I reached the coast of the Roman island by 11h 30min game time (on my first run with difficulty "very hard" I needed 28h). No trace of Romans at the coast this time and I occupied about half of the island before I met them. So far, so fine.

The story branches then, like in the second mission, I like that face-smile.png

There's a cooperative and a military challenge, both with a time limit of 2 hours game time. With the cooperative solution, this is decent. With the military one, there should be none. It takes a lot of time to get to the other side of the island, especially if the KI plays "hide and seek" or lacks building materials and own buildings are required to capture ground and proceed further.

But I made it to the Roman port, destroyed it and started building an own. I had just laid down the foundation stone when time was up and the message appeared that I'm too late, the Romans need to set sail now, I lost and will be left back on the island. Quite absurd, with no port to start from and no ship to sail for the Romans.

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2021-08-02, 15:55

I agree on the textual issue. However the time limit is given by the storm. Which is the same for both ways.
So for me the text might need to change if the (rare) condition applies that you just created (no port for nobody)

Top Quote