Latest Posts

Topic: Zoom key

mxb2001
Topic Opener
Version: 1.1
Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2021-07-18, 22:36

CTRL + is supposed to zoom in but it doesn't for me. Fortunately I found that I can set it to CTRL = which does work. Oh and in case you wonder... no CTRL SHIFT = didn't work either.

Used to work in b21 IIRC.

Odd, thought I'd mention it.

--
To Boldly Go Where No Man Has Gone Before

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2021-07-19, 19:48

mxb2001 wrote:

CTRL + is supposed to zoom in but it doesn't for me. Fortunately I found that I can set it to CTRL = which does work. Oh and in case you wonder... no CTRL SHIFT = didn't work either.

Works here without problems.

Please make sure to reset the keyboard settings to default. 'Options → Edit Keyboard Shortcuts... → Reset all'

Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote
mxb2001
Topic Opener
Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2021-07-21, 18:35

kaputtnik wrote:

mxb2001 wrote:

Works here without problems.

Please make sure to reset the keyboard settings to default. 'Options → Edit Keyboard Shortcuts... → Reset all'

Why reset to default? CTRL = works for me, I was just mentioning it in case it was a bug. Maybe it's the flatpak that causes it... Funny too is that it's not the keyboard setup of my Linux PC because CTRL SHIFT = (that is CTRL +) works elsewhere.

Anyways, never mind, I doubt it's important.

--

Top Quote
tothxa
Version: some new PR I'm testing
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2021-07-21, 23:44

I have the same problem, and resetting keyboard shortcuts doesn't help. (it was the only shortcut anyway - BTW it's interesting that resetting writes all defaults to the config instead of removing all keyboard entries...) The default works with ctrl-"keypad +", which is actually ctrl-fn-/ on my laptop.

It's not flatpak either. I normally use a native build.

I looked up the code, and the default is keysym(SDLK_PLUS, kDefaultCtrlModifier), where SDLK_PLUS is defined as the character '+' in SDL. So I guess the problem is checking the modifiers, when the base is already a modified key... But I have no idea why it works for kaputtnik, and probably for many others.

Top Quote
Nordfriese
Version: Latest master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2021-07-22, 09:13

CTRL SHIFT = (that is CTRL +)

Do you mean that the '+' key is not actually a base key on your keyboard but the secondary layer of an '=' key? Well then it cannot work because that key would be considered an '=' key and Shift+'=' would not be considered '+' but simply the '=' key with a modifier.
(I'm using a german keyboard where '+' is a normal key and '=' the second layer of the '0' key btw. That's why it works fine for me as well.)
So this seems to be an issue with different keyboard layouts, not sure how to approach this best…

Edited: 2021-07-22, 09:14

Top Quote
tothxa
Version: some new PR I'm testing
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2021-07-22, 10:54

Nordfriese wrote:

Do you mean that the '+' key is not actually a base key on your keyboard but the secondary layer of an '=' key?

That's standard en_us layout.

(the standard hu layout is practically unusable for shell, code and calculations as far as I'm concerned, exactly because ALL non alphanumerical symbols are using shift or (about 2/3 of them) AltGr)

(I'm using a german keyboard where '+' is a normal key […] That's why it works fine for me as well.)

That explains why noone complained before, with so many users from Germany.

Top Quote
mxb2001
Topic Opener
Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2021-07-23, 20:51

Oh yes the key is

+

=

To the right is a backspace key and the left is a

_

-

key.

It's the standard QWERTY keyboard in use in Canada.

I've never seen a real German keyboard, I knew that some letters were transposed but that the = and + are too is new to me. Fascinating. I lived in Germany as a kid in the 70's but I never saw or used a typewriter then. I did learn to write with a Füller though. Pelikan!

Man, I'm gonna have to research this. Why is the + preferred to = in German keyboards. TBH I always thought it inconvenient that the - (minus) key and the + (plus) keys needed one to use shift for one and not the other.

In fact in my decades of computer gaming (here in Canada) I've often noted that many games use the + and - keys for basic functions. The funny thing was that the documentation often just said - to (say) make smaller and = to make larger! I can probably even find some of those docs and scan them...

Also worth noting is that my full keyboards on my desktop PC's (this is a laptop with a smaller set of keys) the - and + keys exist as single purpose keys in duplicate on the numeric keypad and could usually be used instead of the shifty ones.

Edited: 2021-07-23, 20:52

--

Top Quote
mxb2001
Topic Opener
Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2021-07-23, 21:13

Blush. I just read and saw the pics of a german kb on wikipedia. Overwhelmingly different. I never knew. WOW!

--

Top Quote
mxb2001
Topic Opener
Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2021-07-23, 21:54

I went through all the keyboard shortcuts looking for more problems and I found 2 more. They have nothing to do with german kb's though. They're a problem with most laptop kb's though I'll bet.

While my big 104 PC kb's have pause keys my laptop does not. I changed pause from the non existent pause key to 0 and reset speed to ALT PgDn. Unlikely to need them as I usually play at normal or slower speed.

Still boggling over the fact that the + and - are separate keys and where the ] and / keys should be! And there's a ` key where the +/= key should be! Too wild!

Oh and for more amusement here's how I type umlauts! To type ü I have to hold Windows key and type u then release and hold shift and type ' (that's " which is a mnemonic obviously). For a Ü I have to hold Win AND Shift down while typing u and then the "... the ß is easy though. Hold down Win and type ss (that's s twice)...

At least the ,. keys are in the same place and make sense on both kb's!

--

Top Quote