Latest Posts

Topic: Re-play a random game.

treehugger
Topic Opener
Version: 1.0
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2021-07-11, 13:48

I've played a few random games, and now I encounter myself from wanting to play such a game again, but from the other side, and I can not manage to do this.

The direct reason: I played a beautiful map yesterday, which was a bit difficult to start because of lot's of "random" tree's around my keep, and not much room to build.

In the replay I saw the AI had a similar situation, but with scattered rocks all around. The AI handled this very badly. He only build a single Quarry, and the little room he had he filled with military buildings. The AI is likely to handle clearing wood better, while clearing stone is a nice extra challenge for me.

I'm now going to try to save the "random number" and "Map ID" in advance, in the hope I can re-create the map from that. It probably works if I first start the map editor with a random game, save it under a name, and only then attempt to play it, but that is a lot of mouse clicks for possibly a not-so-fun map.

Edited: 2021-07-11, 13:49

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Version: Recent tournament version
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2021-07-11, 14:45

treehugger wrote:

I've played a few random games, and now I encounter myself from wanting to play such a game again, but from the other side, and I can not manage to do this.

The direct reason: I played a beautiful map yesterday, which was a bit difficult to start because of lot's of "random" tree's around my keep, and not much room to build.

In the replay I saw the AI had a similar situation, but with scattered rocks all around. The AI handled this very badly. He only build a single Quarry, and the little room he had he filled with military buildings. The AI is likely to handle clearing wood better, while clearing stone is a nice extra challenge for me.

I'm now going to try to save the "random number" and "Map ID" in advance, in the hope I can re-create the map from that. It probably works if I first start the map editor with a random game, save it under a name, and only then attempt to play it, but that is a lot of mouse clicks for possibly a not-so-fun map.

Watch the replay, click the save button immediately etc and then the savegame will be available if you start a multiplayer match

Wanted to save the world, then I got widetracked

Top Quote
treehugger
Topic Opener
Version: 1.0
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2021-07-11, 21:53

Ah, oops. My bad. I left the title open for different interpretations.

I do not want to use the "Re-play" function to Re-play a map. I want a map that was generated by the "Random" algorithm and played, load as a new game, and then play it from the other side.

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2021-07-12, 08:10

treehugger wrote:

Ah, oops. My bad. I left the title open for different interpretations.

I do not want to use the "Re-play" function to Re-play a map. I want a map that was generated by the "Random" algorithm and played, load as a new game, and then play it from the other side.

Well, the advice from WorldSavior in this case still was valid. If you start the replay of such a match and directly after loading create a savegame from the replay. This can be loaded in local multiplayer like a normal savegame and you can select whatever player position for you and assign an AI to the others. So this would be a working "workaround" for a map where you didn't save the map first or where you forgot to take note of the hash. Using the replay function is just a vehicle to create a savegame for further usage.

Edited: 2021-07-12, 08:12

Top Quote