Latest Posts

Topic: How about conquering warehouses instead to destroying it?

treehugger
Version: 1.0
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2021-07-09, 04:29

++41 !!!

I'm all in for this as it adds a bit of strategy to the game. It sure can be annoying (and even reason for irrecoverable loss of the game) if you loose a warehouse with all your gold and weapons in it to the enemy, it is entirely due to your own actions though.

You have to make more notice of where you build your warehouses, and what you put in them. You can also conquer your own warehouse back before the enemy has time to plunder it.

I once lost my keep early in the game (I think in "Swamp Monks" where enemies are close together) I could play on for a bit (I had other warehouses), but found myself in an nu-recoverable situation because I lost my tools and was not able to produce Iron after that.

I've also been in situations where I forgot to build a stone mine, and got into a deadlock because I needed stone to build a stone mine. Very annoying, but it adds more strategy to the game (This is recoverable by tearing down your own buildings, and carefully guiding stones to the stone mine building site (Disabling other building sites that need stone).

Stone & wood are not considered very valuable, but if a loosing player can manage to conquer a warehouse with lots of wood, it could literally save him, while it would not matter much for the party that is able to produce all that wood.

In the end such complexities make the game more interesting to play.

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2021-07-09, 08:36

treehugger wrote:

You have to make more notice of where you build your warehouses, and what you put in them.

One has to consider this also now. Loosing a warehouse full of wares is bad in any case: If you lost your wares and workers into thin air (right now), or if you lost your wares and workers to the opponent. But in the latter case your opponent gets a huge advantage.

You can also conquer your own warehouse back before the enemy has time to plunder it.

Valuable point. But the enemy will try to protect the warehouse with lots of military buildings.

Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote
treehugger
Version: 1.0
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2021-07-11, 13:37

Just loosing a warehouse full of valuable goods is likely an un-recoverable situation anyway, regardless of whether it's destroyed or conquered by the enemy. Having an opportunity to conquer it back is better in that regard. I also do not find it a valid argument in the first place. You have complete control of what you put in your warehouse, and the player should suffer the consequences of bad strategic descisions.

Putting those valuable goods near your borders is your own fault in game strategy (or a risc you accepted (un-) willingly.)

If you lost your wares and workers into thin air (right now), or if you lost your wares and workers to the opponent. But in the latter case your opponent gets a huge advantage.

When your keep (or a warehouse) is destroyed, then all people occupying flee away, so you do not loose them. Each worker which flees the warehouse could also carry one (random or valuable) item with him.

I just realized that just conquering a completely empty warehouse is also valuable. You can immediately start transporting wood and stone to it to speed up the build process of nearby building.

A common use of a warehouse near your borders (and good strategy) is to house a bunch of solders, so they can walk to your military buildings quickly when some get killed. You could even put 100 well trained and armed solders in a warehouse which can defend it quite good. (But can not attack).

On top of all this, you also still have the option to destroy your own warehouse if it is about to be captured. So you have to think about whether you would be able to re-capture it quickly, or if it's likely to be lost to the enemy completely.

Yet another change is that it enables cooperation in a multi player game. You could put a bunch of goods in a warehouse and let your partner "conquer" it to deliberately transfer goods.

The main reason for me to give it ++41 !! is hat it adds a lot of strategic decisions on how you manage warehouses, and this adds more depth to the game.

Top Quote
teppo

Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2021-07-11, 17:10

treehugger wrote:

Yet another change is that it enables cooperation in a multi player game. You could put a bunch of goods in a warehouse and let your partner "conquer" it to deliberately transfer goods.

If you want to team up, it is possible for many players to start with same flag color. In this case, you can simply connect road networks. Not the same thing, but nice feature anyway.

Top Quote
PkK

Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2021-07-11, 17:29

teppo wrote:

treehugger wrote:

If you want to team up, it is possible for many players to start with same flag color. In this case, you can simply connect road networks. Not the same thing, but nice feature anyway.

AFAIK, long term, trade is a planned widelands feature.

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2021-07-11, 17:47

teppo wrote:

treehugger wrote:

I am not 100% sure but I think if you are in the same team you can't attack each other. So the described possibilty is not a real one.

Top Quote