Latest Posts

Topic: White Summer

OIPUN
Topic Opener
Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2021-06-03, 19:32

My efforts to create green water ended in creating a new world add-on. It is still in process of testing, but I already don’t see anything that needs to be changed. After I finish the testing I should be able to post it officially next week. If you find something wrong on it, please let me know. I attached also the map I use for testing and two printscreens.

Attachment:
WhiteSummer.zip (746.4 KB)

Top Quote
Nordfriese
Version: Latest master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2021-06-03, 19:54

Nice face-smile.png

According to the editor tooltips the "Clearings" and the "Dolomites Meadow" have excellent tree growth chances >90%. The "Flowering Meadows" on the other hand are poorly suited for trees, though their appearance makes them look well suited (a rule of thumb frequently cited is that the greener a terrain looks the better trees grow there). Is this intentional?

Regarding the directory structure: I never mentioned this before yet but sometime in the future defining multiple units in the same register.lua (and therefore in the same directory) will be deprecated because it makes interaction with multiple add-ons enabled very error-prone. The official repo and my own add-ins also have a number of such cases; there is no official deprecation notice yet. If someone else now makes an add-on X that also defines a tree called pine_summer_old then Widelands will already resolve the conflicting declarations of this unit between white_summer and X in favour of the one or the other. But if it chooses to use the pine from X instead of yours for this name, then loading the init file for the red maple or linden also creates the pine, resulting in the pine being created twice which causes a game data error. I had this in the past with frisians-economy-ultra and new-tribe which both define a ware rye; the solution was to stick every single ware in a directory of its own in both add-ons. To spare the users of your add-on this sort of problem I'd advise to do the same for the several tree species.

Top Quote
OIPUN
Topic Opener
Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2021-06-03, 20:13

Nordfriese wrote:

According to the editor tooltips the "Clearings" and the "Dolomites Meadow" have excellent tree growth chances >90%. The "Flowering Meadows" on the other hand are poorly suited for trees, though their appearance makes them look well suited (a rule of thumb frequently cited is that the greener a terrain looks the better trees grow there). Is this intentional?

Yes, it was intentional. The forests don’t grow on meadows, but on clearings. My flowering meadows are very easy to distinguish from official completely green meadows.

Regarding the directory structure: I never mentioned this before yet but sometime in the future defining multiple units in the same register.lua (and therefore in the same directory) will be deprecated because it makes interaction with multiple add-ons enabled very error-prone.

I tried to make it easy to move in. I really don’t like opening hundreds of folders when there is a possibility to have it in one in a clearly arranged way. I have just 3 trees so I put them in one folder. The 18 terrains are also in one folder. It has to be terrible to have 10 trees and change the folders all the time and open a special file for each of them. I may put them separately now, when the add-on is ready, but for creating the add-on, it was much better to have it in this way.

Top Quote
Yo...
Version: 1.0 + 1.2
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2021-06-04, 00:58

Yes, nice terrains and trees face-smile.png (btw: the trees seem a bit familiar to me face-grin.png )

Sorry for nitpicking, but the muddy water animation looks a bit chaotic to me and is partly nearly white. I thought you wanted it darker? Maybe reduce the contrast a bit would look better?

And the water 1 looks a bit poisonous, I wouldn't like to drink from it or swim in it face-shock.png On the other hand it might glow in the night -- that could be interesting for exploring unknown coasts face-wink.png

Oh, and the Red Maple don't grow on any terrain better than around 58% (and that only on one of them) -- that is not quite optimal, I think. But I did the finetuning with my trees and terrains at last, too, so please don't feel rushed face-smile.png

Top Quote
OIPUN
Topic Opener
Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2021-06-04, 08:32

I will definitely make some of the terrains look sharper. That is the biggest problem I see now. Sorry for that, I am still learning.

Yo... wrote:

Yes, nice terrains and trees face-smile.png (btw: the trees seem a bit familiar to me face-grin.png )

Maybe, a little bit face-smile.png ...

Sorry for nitpicking, but the muddy water animation looks a bit chaotic to me and is partly nearly white.

No no, that is how it should look like an how I really wanted it to be.

And the water 1 looks a bit poisonous, I wouldn't like to drink from it or swim in it

You would definitely enjoy swimming in such a water. That is exactly how it looks like. It is my dream to swim in this water too.

the Red Maple don't grow on any terrain better than around 58% (and that only on one of them) -- that is not quite optimal

The idea was to make the red maple rather rare. But true is I can make it rare not completely non-existent on some types of terrain. I like the idea to make it more usual on the orange dessert mountains, where it is already partially growing now. I like this type of terrain as you can tell looking on my map Atlas Range, one of my favourite maps.

And a question to someone experienced. Is it possible to make the map work also with this add-on. As how it looks like right now, the only way is to make a completely new map while using this add-on?

Edited: 2021-06-04, 10:07

Attachment:
moře1.jpeg

Top Quote
Nordfriese
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2021-06-04, 10:21

And a question to someone experienced. Is it possible to make the map work also with this add-on. As how it looks like right now, the only way is to make a completely new map while using this add-on?

World add-ons can only be used by making a new map that uses this add-on. There's a wishlist item (https://github.com/widelands/widelands/issues/4899) about allowing to use them on existing maps as well but I do not believe this will be possible. But current master (and also v1.0) has a bug that allows your new trees to grow on any map you like: Just enable the add-on and load an existing game on any map, and your foresters might plant the trees even though it should be impossible. (https://github.com/widelands/widelands/issues/4907)

Edited: 2021-06-04, 10:22

Top Quote
OIPUN
Topic Opener
Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2021-06-04, 10:39

Nordfriese wrote:

But current master (and also v1.0) has a bug that allows your new trees to grow on any map you like.

Great bug, I like it.

2 more things are on my mind. First, Is whether to make the beach just walkable. I think there are many just walkable terrains right now but maybe the beach would look better without buildings with entrance into the sea. An the second is whether the default amount of resources does work for mountains. I defined the Dolomites 1 and Dolomites 2 with default amount of stone set to 10. But nothing seems to change.

Top Quote
Nordfriese
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2021-06-04, 12:31

First, Is whether to make the beach just walkable. I think there are many just walkable terrains right now but maybe the beach would look better without buildings with entrance into the sea.

IMHO it would look strange to be able to build buildings on sand; it would seem a very unstable foundation

An the second is whether the default amount of resources does work for mountains. I defined the Dolomites 1 and Dolomites 2 with default amount of stone set to 10. But nothing seems to change.

Did you check this in-game or only in the editor? The editor does not view default resources, they are only added at the beginning of a new game to every node where the map designer did not explicitly place any resource. (e.g. https://github.com/widelands/widelands/issues/1381, https://github.com/widelands/widelands/issues/3244)

Top Quote
Yo...
Version: 1.0 + 1.2
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2021-06-04, 13:44

OIPUN wrote:

Sorry for nitpicking, but the muddy water animation looks a bit chaotic to me and is partly nearly white.

No no, that is how it should look like an how I really wanted it to be.

hm... in my opinion at least way to light

And the water 1 looks a bit poisonous, I wouldn't like to drink from it or swim in it

You would definitely enjoy swimming in such a water. That is exactly how it looks like. It is my dream to swim in this water too.

(photo)

but at the photo the water has more a "blue-ish turquoise" color, that would be ok in my eyes, but your terrain looks more green than turquoise and looks like a bit to much glowing (my opinion, maybe my eyes are used to something else; and no, it's not my screen, its brightness is set to a low value)

and with the beach:

afaik all the beaches so far are only walkable because ... what Nordfriese said face-smile.png

Edited: 2021-06-04, 13:50

Top Quote
OIPUN
Topic Opener
Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2021-06-04, 14:36

Nordfriese wrote:

Did you check this in-game or only in the editor?

I have tried in a game. I needed granite and the rock mine was empty.

Top Quote