Latest Posts

Topic: The game said Bug

Atanase
Topic Opener
Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2021-04-30, 10:30

Hello,

Please find enclose two saved files done last night, the first was File_13 at 23:55, the second was File_14 at 23:56. The first (13) is loadable, the second (14) not.

I must admit that I am unable to say what has changed, in the game, between the two.

I used : 1.0~git25279[ac7323d@master]
With add-ons : Water Resource Efficiency 1.03+17, and Fishy 1.01+14

Attachment:
Fichiers_13_14.zip (3.1 MB)

La connaissance ne vaut que si elle est partagée par le plus grand nombre.
---------------------------------------
Knowledge is only valuable if it is shared by the greatest number.

Top Quote
Nordfriese
Version: Latest master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2021-04-30, 12:28

The problem can be reproduced by loading _13, building a well, enhancing the csite to deep well, and then saving after a minute. Will investigate

Just to keep track of my findings so far

The problem obviously happens in MapObjectPacket saveloading. Apparently some item loads more or less data than it saves, resulting in random values being passed to subsequent calls. The most likely candidate is Immovable → FormerBuildings saveloading but this seems to work correctly. The error message varies depending on the exact save time, sometimes it says that the geologist has no "" program.

… and now I'm suddenly having trouble creating another broken savegame to compare debug logs while saving and loading, grrr…

Edited: 2021-04-30, 12:55

Top Quote
Nordfriese
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2021-04-30, 14:26

Another observation with this savegame: If you open the helpwindow of a deep well's csite, it crashes because the deep well's enhanced_from value is INVALID_INDEX. Probably both problems have the same cause which might be a missing postload or such somewhere.

Top Quote
Nordfriese
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2021-04-30, 14:44

Fixed face-smile.png Added it to a branch with misc add-on fixes at https://github.com/widelands/widelands/pull/4827

Top Quote
Atanase
Topic Opener
Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2021-04-30, 15:25

Hello,

I take this announcement to ask for a little thing.

Currently I am loading the 'master' branch of GitHub and compiling it. How to load the branch that you just modified in order to have a version that will not risk doing the same thing to me again?

Top Quote
Nordfriese
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2021-04-30, 15:31

One option is simply to wait, this branch must and will be merged before the release face-wink.png

Alternatively checkout the branch:

First, tell git about my fork (needs to be done only the first time)

git remote add nf git@github.com:Noordfrees/widelands.git

or

git remote add nf https://github.com/Noordfrees/widelands.git

(depending on whether you use HTTPS or SSH)
You can add any number of forks that way; replace nf with whatever you want to call the fork locally.

Then, to switch to a specific branch, type

git fetch nf
git checkout nf/addons-mp-sync

where nf is the fork where the branch is located and addons-mp-sync is the name of the branch you're interested in. Then recompile.

Edit: You can also use git fetch --depth=1 nf branchname instead of plain fetch to speed things up a bit

Edited: 2021-04-30, 15:36

Top Quote
Atanase
Topic Opener
Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2021-04-30, 17:03

Ok,

One day I'll take time to read completely the manual of git, but not today so I'll wait.

If I understand, it would be better for me to inactivate the add-ons Water Efficiency to avoid problems.

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2021-04-30, 18:09

Atanase wrote:

If I understand, it would be better for me to inactivate the add-ons Water Efficiency to avoid problems.

This is hard to say generally. Activting Addons is always a risk because they are "unofficial" but they might add value and depth to the game.
However it would be better for Widelands and especially v1.0 if you keep them activated in your testing to find as much bugs as we can before the release.
This is a very new feature and really could need a lot of testing. In fact it is pretty much the biggest new functionality in Widelands imho.
Thanks for hunting and finding bugs.

Top Quote
Atanase
Topic Opener
Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2021-04-30, 19:14

It is "normal", I was programmer and I know perfectly how it is difficult to find all the problems.

When I was in business I was known to push programs to their breaking point.
The only thing that bothers me a bit is having to redo the two hours it takes to get to the previous crash point and see if it works afterwards, especially since I don't necessarily remember what I did in the previous part. In addition, this is the seventh time that I play on the same map, it's starting to get boring. face-smile.png face-smile.png face-smile.png

But here, I'll have to load the Nordfriese 'patch' to test it too, and it's the maneuver with GitHub that causes me the most problems. face-smile.png face-smile.png
---------Edit----------
I did the manip and now use 1.0~git25285 I hope it is good like this.

Edited: 2021-04-30, 19:31

Top Quote
Atanase
Topic Opener
Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2021-05-01, 09:29

Hello,

I applied the procedure described by Nordfriese.

In the .zip enclose you can find Fic_05_06_07.txt, it is an "operations dump", and 3 saves, 05 works, 06 and 07 don't work.

Note: As no one enters my office under the eaves, ladder that is too hard to climb, I often leave the game 'paused' for long periods of time, while I do other things. We can say that, when everything is working, I run it in the morning and only close it in the evening before going to sleep. This means that between 05 and 07 the game was not closed or reloaded.

If you need more information, don't hesitate.

face-smile.png face-smile.png face-smile.png Working for the common good is my pleasure and my honor. face-smile.png face-smile.png face-smile.png

It sounds like a joke, but it is sincere. face-wink.png

Last minute : As the original .zip file was too big, 4.7MB, I cut it in 2 parts, the 05 backup and the .txt file in the first, the 06 and 07 in the second. There will therefore be 2 posts.

Attachment:
Fic_05.zip (1.6 MB)

Top Quote