Latest Posts

Topic: Simplifying building process

WorldSavior
Topic Opener
Version: Recent tournament version
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2021-04-27, 19:09

Wouldn't the following be possible and useful?

If you click on a medium building spot, you don't only see the medium buildings right away, but under them also all small buildings in a second box from which you can chose. That way you can save one click per each building... Could make the game more fun to play, considering that one has to build dozens or hundreds of buildings each match.

And clicking on a big spot could display also all medium and small buildings

And clicking on a port spot all big, medium and small buildings as well...

Another possibility would be that one clicks on the building spot and is able to press a hotkey combination which places the building.... Those hotkeys could also be configurable.

Just some ideas...

Wanted to save the world, then I got widetracked

Top Quote
Nordfriese
Version: Latest master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2021-04-27, 20:56

This would clutter up the UI a lot, IMHO. Especially if you use add-ons that add custom buildings. The window would become enormous. So -1 from me.

You can use the mousewheel to change the tab and save a click though.

Configuring hotkeys to directly choose a building type is a very nice idea, though there's a danger you'd run out of hotkeys quickly as we already have so many of them ;D

Top Quote
tothxa
Version: some new PR I'm testing
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2021-04-27, 21:38

I agree with Nordfriese. Tabbed windows were invented for this kind of use case.

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2021-04-27, 22:29

Nordfriese wrote:

This would clutter up the UI a lot, IMHO. Especially if you use add-ons that add custom buildings. The window would become enormous. So -1 from me.

Well then I must hope that some day somebody makes an add-on for this : )

Thanks for the hint, that's good. Is that a new feature?

Configuring hotkeys to directly choose a building type is a very nice idea, though there's a danger you'd run out of hotkeys quickly as we already have so many of them ;D

Alt+letter, shift+letter, ctrl+letter - they are all free yet : ) Maybe this feature would be even better if it would be enough to mouse over the building spot.

Top Quote
Nordfriese
Version: Latest master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2021-04-27, 23:13

WorldSavior wrote:

Nordfriese wrote:

Unlikely, because the UI is hardcoded in C++. But we have a feature request for add-on scripted editor UI extensions so perhaps such a thing might actually be possible one day…

Fairly new, I think b21 did not have the new keyboard and mousewheel integrations yet

Alt+letter, shift+letter, ctrl+letter - they are all free yet : ) Maybe this feature would be even better if it would be enough to mouse over the building spot.

Opened an issue https://github.com/widelands/widelands/issues/4833

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2021-05-01, 10:15

Nordfriese wrote:

WorldSavior wrote:

Nordfriese wrote:

Unlikely, because the UI is hardcoded in C++. But we have a feature request for add-on scripted editor UI extensions so perhaps such a thing might actually be possible one day…

Fairly new, I think b21 did not have the new keyboard and mousewheel integrations yet

Opened an issue https://github.com/widelands/widelands/issues/4833

Thanks

Top Quote
treehugger
Version: 1.0
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2021-07-09, 04:39

A way to implement this without any clutter is to switch to the "smaller buildings" tab with a double (or triple) click.

So if you double click on a big building site, you get the tabs open for a medium site, and if you triple click on a large building site, the tab for small buildings is opened by default.

It would not change the absolute number of mouse clicks, but you do not have to move the mouse between the clicks and double (and triple) clicks are very fast.

(This should then also be added to the "startup tips" to make it easier to discover the function).

Top Quote