Latest Posts

Topic: Damned geologists

Nordfriese
Version: Latest master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2021-04-25, 13:06

The geologist's working radius is defined in their init.lua files: a region of 5 nodes around the base flag, and 15 repetitions of the search for a mineral (fewer if there is too little free ground in the area).

The maximum resource amounts are mineral-specific. For ores and fish it's 20, for water 50. There's an open bug report about allowing higher max amounts, and also adding more steps in the resource indicators then.

Oh and something else by the way: When we say that a mine takes up to X% of the resources, this percentage refers to the resource amount initially present at a node, not the resource's maximum amount. The geologist's resource indicators always indicate the absolute amount left of a resource.

Top Quote
Atanase
Topic Opener
Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2021-04-25, 14:14

So, it could be good to limit the amount to 20 or 50 and not 63 as actually in the Editor. Even if the limitation exists, if we don't verify after setting resources, we can hope it is really 63. face-smile.png

La connaissance ne vaut que si elle est partagée par le plus grand nombre.
---------------------------------------
Knowledge is only valuable if it is shared by the greatest number.

Top Quote
mxb2001
Version: 1.1
Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2021-04-25, 21:11

Haha, I love the title for this thread. Wish I'd come up with it when I was grousing about those persnickety buggers.

I too learned the slap a mine or 5 (essentially a planned mine) whereever I find the ore. I think the problem new players have is that they naturally associate building a mine with it taking up valuable resources. It is HARD to realize that it costs NOTHING to start one.

As for trying to minimize the road blockage when searching for ore... well I've read the explanations on how it works many times but I still can't get them to work as I want them to. So I gave up and always put the flag 1 hex into the mountains to make sure it works. That of course costs 1 or 2 spots that the damned geologists won't search.

I wonder if geologists taste good roasted...

p.s. Yes! You can dest the road after the damn geo has passed the last flag (which you must keep face-sad.png ) and this has a major effect on where you can place the flags. Now you can put a flag deep into a mountain and the damn geo will have a much wider effective search area (once you kill the damn road...) Thanks to whomever came up with that idea.

Edited: 2021-04-25, 23:06

--
To Boldly Go Where No Man Has Gone Before

Top Quote
tothxa
Version: some new PR I'm testing
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2021-04-27, 23:39

Nordfriese wrote:

The geologist's working radius is defined in their init.lua files: a region of 5 nodes around the base flag, and 15 repetitions of the search for a mineral (fewer if there is too little free ground in the area).

The maximum resource amounts are mineral-specific. For ores and fish it's 20, for water 50.

When we say that a mine takes up to X% of the resources, this percentage refers to the resource amount initially present at a node, not the resource's maximum amount.

Can I add this to the FAQ?

Top Quote
Nordfriese
Version: Latest master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2021-04-28, 11:46

+1

Top Quote