Latest Posts

Topic: Wery funny

Atanase
Topic Opener
Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2021-04-24, 08:50

Hello,

Frankly I find that the developers do not lack a certain sense of humor.

While playing a random card and due to my inexperience as a player, I found myself in the following situation:

Could not find exploitable coal. Never mind I am going to create a coal site. Oops, I need some lime, I forgot. So I created a lime production site.

And:
I cannot build the charcoal kiln for lack of lime, and I cannot produce lime for lack of coal.

It can take a long time. face-smile.png face-smile.png face-smile.png

La connaissance ne vaut que si elle est partagée par le plus grand nombre.
---------------------------------------
Knowledge is only valuable if it is shared by the greatest number.

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Version: Recent tournament version
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2021-04-24, 11:38

This can be a total "deadlock", which is a strategical element of the game. The nice thing here is that there is a creative way out of this deadlock: Build a coalmine just anywhere. Even if it cannot exploit some coal, it always has a tiny chance to find coal nevertheless, like 5%. This can help you out of this deadlock.

Wanted to save the world, then I got widetracked

Top Quote
Atanase
Topic Opener
Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2021-04-24, 13:30

Thank you WorldSavior, it is a good trick.
Maybe is it not a bad idea to create, in the forum, a thread "Tips and Tricks" where the Ancients could teach us their dazzling wisdom. face-smile.png
No mistake, it's just a way of speaking, I respect 'knowledge' too much to laugh at those who hold it by experience.
When I test different cases, it's not to complain, it's to bring a different perspective on things and, perhaps, to advance the 'schmilblick'. (Guy Lux, if you se us ....)
An it is for this reason that I added face-smile.png face-smile.png face-smile.png at the end of the message. Just to show that I found it very funny. face-wink.png

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2021-04-25, 12:12

Atanase wrote:

Thank you WorldSavior, it is a good trick.

You're welcome

Maybe is it not a bad idea to create, in the forum, a thread "Tips and Tricks" where the Ancients could teach us their dazzling wisdom. face-smile.png

You could open such a thread and ask specific questions, and we might answer you.

Einstein13 and king_of_nowhere have written a guide "how to play widelands" or something similar once, but that document is unfortunately offline now. And it might be a little bit outdated.

An it is for this reason that I added face-smile.png face-smile.png face-smile.png at the end of the message. Just to show that I found it very funny. face-wink.png

There are even "funnier" deadlocks in the game where you cannot escape from at all, by the way ; )

Top Quote
Atanase
Topic Opener
Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2021-04-25, 14:24

In fact, I wrote thread but I thought sub-forum or section whatever the name one gives it. I'm afraid that if we put everything in the same thread it will quickly be impossible to navigate.

If you can find this guide, I am willing to 'test' it to see what is really outdated.

It is not easy to write English when you think French. face-smile.png face-smile.png face-smile.png Time to time I mix everything up and what comes out of it is not very clear.

Top Quote
OIPUN
Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2021-04-25, 14:35

Atanase wrote:

I'm afraid that if we put everything in the same thread it will quickly be impossible to navigate.

There is a search tool in the right upper corner. If you put there “Damned Geologists” you will always find all important info about mining forever.

Edited: 2021-04-25, 14:36

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2021-04-25, 16:44

"Tipps and Tricks" would be perfect for a Wiki article, imho. Beside the already existing article FAQ Playing .

Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2021-04-25, 16:56

Atanase wrote:

In fact, I wrote thread but I thought sub-forum or section whatever the name one gives it. I'm afraid that if we put everything in the same thread it will quickly be impossible to navigate.

You could open several threads in "Playing Widelands"

If you can find this guide, I am willing to 'test' it to see what is really outdated.

Unfortunately the guide has never been uploaded in the forum as far as I know. The upload function is rather new. You could ask Einstein13 directly: https://www.widelands.org/profile/einstein13/

Top Quote
Atanase
Topic Opener
Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2021-04-25, 17:22

OIPUN wrote: There is a search tool in the right upper corner. If you put there “Damned Geologists” you will always find all important info about mining forever.

The only problem with the search tools, is if you don't know exactly what you want it is impossible to find anything. And what is 'important' for one is not necessarily so for the other. face-smile.png

The proposition of kaputtnik is a good idea, and I would prefer that but who is in charge, almost daily, to find ALL the Tips and Tricks everywhere in the forum to update regularly the wiki? face-wink.png face-wink.png

Another solution, but I don't know if it is usable on this type of forum, is to have in the 'Playing Widelands' sub-forum, a thread which remains permanently at the top of the list and in which people empowered create dedicated messages, for example 'Good use of the Tavern and its satellites Bakery, Brewery ...', 'How to create a solid and cheap army', 'Reasoned use of the Economy', etc. , messages that would only include links to other forum messages.

Through the forums in which I participated and / or created I saw the three 'solutions' none is better than the others, because the player does not want to spend hours reading on the forums, he wants to play and doesn't want to have to reinvent the wheel every moment. He would only like to benefit from the experience of the Elders.

It must be recognized that to play correctly you almost need to have a 'Master in Widelands'. face-wink.png

It is for this reason that I ask so many questions, to have my Masters. face-wink.png And as my grandmother said: Better 1 who knows than 2 who seek.

Edit --------------
I tried to get information on the use of 'add-ons'. I did a search with the 'search' tool, that's part of its answer.

https://imgur.com/BWh2zTi.png

There are even posts, mine in particular, that don't contain the word 'add-on' and there is not all. face-smile.png face-smile.png face-smile.png

Edited: 2021-04-25, 18:10

Top Quote
OIPUN
Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2021-04-25, 20:14

Atanase wrote:

The only problem with the search tools, is if you don't know exactly what you want it is impossible to find anything.

Your arguments are too strong. But I do not think this has any solution.

Edited: 2021-04-25, 20:15

Top Quote