Latest Posts

Topic: Random maps

Atanase
Topic Opener
Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2021-04-24, 10:40

Hello,

Personally I love Random Maps. I'm a fan of Sid Meyers's Civilization and I'm happy to find such a possibility here.

That being said, I have a few little comments on the map generator. I know it's still beta, maybe that will give the designers some ideas.

This is a map at the start of the game.
Imgur
No real choice on what to do. face-smile.png

This is the map after 2 hours of 'play'. I removed all and put the towers to illuminate the ground.
Imgur
In the northeast corner you can see no less than 19 Standing Stones. Not easy to develop an economy here. face-smile.png

You can also see that it is almost impossible to get close to the mountains and therefore to know if you can build mines, even if the terrain is full of resources.

I don't remember what are exactly the parameters of the map, this is the 10th or 12th that I have been doing since yesterday. But if it's kept somewhere, tell me where and I'll get it to you.

I hope this will help you.

PS: Where is the map ? I wanted to see if I had a chance to get away with this map. In my tests I had a map where I found neither iron nor gold even after 3 hours of play. On the other hand I found a quantity of 'granite' when the map was covered with rocks.

La connaissance ne vaut que si elle est partagée par le plus grand nombre.
---------------------------------------
Knowledge is only valuable if it is shared by the greatest number.

Top Quote
Nordfriese
Version: Latest master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2021-04-24, 11:49

Random maps are generated on-the-fly. They are not saved anywhere except in the savegame you might create. The values are printed to standard output in case you had that open.
The random map generator is still heavily in beta stage and not being actively developed, and the state-of-the-art was not implemented with direct random matches in mind (that feature came much more recently). We have masses of open bug reports about how it should be enhanced. Until then, we only know that most (though not all) random matches are winnable. And the various interesting observations like resource rareness or plentifulness are exactly what the name advertises – random face-wink.png

Top Quote
Atanase
Topic Opener
Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2021-04-24, 13:43

I know all of this and it was in no way a complaint. Maybe just a little contradiction between the parameters chosen and the reality of the facts. I purposely chose 'medium' for the resources but didn't expect them to be unusable. face-smile.png
No problem, despite everything I continue to use 'random maps' and I will eventually find a map that will console me for my disappointments. face-smile.png face-smile.png
With Sid Meyer's Civilization, I had the habit to generate 10 or 15 maps before finding one that suits me. face-wink.png

PS: I was unable to find the map in the saves to pass it to the editor and see what we could do with it.

La connaissance ne vaut que si elle est partagée par le plus grand nombre.
---------------------------------------
Knowledge is only valuable if it is shared by the greatest number.

Top Quote