Latest Posts

Topic: Official "play day" !?

nsh

Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2010-11-10, 20:11

Is it possible to have some statistics or rankings? At least games played / won.

And what about connections from behind the usual NAT gateway? I do not have a real IP address and can do nothing with it. Had anybody considered the hamachi/garena like staff for vpn creation between players behind proxies/routers?

I am very eager to participate!

Edited: 2010-11-10, 20:15

Top Quote
Nasenbaer
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2010-11-10, 21:25

nsh wrote: Is it possible to have some statistics or rankings? At least games played / won. And what about connections from behind the usual NAT gateway? I do not have a real IP address and can do nothing with it. Had anybody considered the hamachi/garena like staff for vpn creation between players behind proxies/routers? I am very eager to participate!

Well you can do everything, but not host - of course that is a small insufficiency, but well... face-wink.png

I don't know garena, but hamachi works fine - it's at least a partial solution so you can host a game - but only in network mode, not via the metaserver.

But well... for the play day, all these things should not be a problem, as there surely will be many users, that can host a game. face-smile.png

Hope that cleared the things.

Top Quote
SirVer

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2010-11-10, 21:35

statistics are in the making too. We will have some automatic game statistics gathering via the meta server in some time (not for build 16 though)

Top Quote
SirVer

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2010-11-11, 18:33

Alright! we'll play revision 5700 on saturday. meeting in the IRC chat and/or the lobby.

Top Quote
nsh

Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2010-11-11, 19:44

We provide development snapshots for Mac OS and Windows.

It's not fair face-sad.png

UPD: I never saw such big project downloaded and compiled like a breeze! On the other side, bzr downloads 500 Mb.

Edited: 2010-11-11, 21:10

Top Quote
Nasenbaer
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2010-11-11, 21:15

nsh wrote:

We provide development snapshots for Mac OS and Windows.

It's not fair UPD: I never saw such big project downloaded and compiled like a breeze! On the other side, bzr downloads 500 Mb.

So you got it running? face-smile.png

In fact most of the "Widelands core community" uses development versions, so we wrote quite some howtos and tools to ease compilation from current development sources. However all improvement ideas are welcome face-smile.png

Top Quote
Nasenbaer
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2010-11-12, 15:23

samithdisal said in the news post's comments: Will Timowi update the PPA to 5700 as well ??

I post it here, as not all people seem to read the news comments and it's a indeed a good question face-smile.png .

Top Quote
nsh

Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2010-11-12, 19:20

Yes, I got it running, installation is surprisingly easy.

Well, what about official maps? It would be nice to have a defined small set of recomended maps.

And I am not able to login to the metaserver. What login credentials should be entered there ? I tried the login/password for the site but it doesn't work. Also, there are bugs - "tab" recognized as a symbol, login even with wrong password. The most unpleasant - I selected fullscreen 1366768 and restarted the game. After that I just see the black screen. I hear the music, clicks sound and so on, but can't get out of this mode. Even killing widelands from the console doesn't help. Black screen remains. However, when I use the 1360768 mode, everything is ok. Why there exists a mode 1366*768 ?

Edited: 2010-11-12, 19:37

Top Quote
SirVer

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2010-11-13, 00:11

The maps we played in the tournament are all pretty nice; use them for 1v1 if you want fair maps. For the Metaserver: you can just enter a name (no password) and connect as guest. About the bug: Never heard of this, you might want to open a bug report.

Top Quote
ixprefect

Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2010-11-13, 23:47

Well, that was a blast! I was the cause of some trouble at first because I had a bad revision - and Bazaar refused to checkout a different version.

But then we had a great game of 2v2v2 on Riverlands, though the map was pretty unfair to ChemBro who had a crappy starting position, so Orange+Black (janus) was off to a tough start - not to mention with Green (my ally Vidooo) cutting through Black pretty soon, though I couldn't pay much attention to that as I was busy with Red (Anja and Kristin using the shared kingdom feature) on the northern front. I defeated them despite offerings of cake, but then ran into Blue (SirVer), who had lots of fully trained soldiers. It was a tense stand-off of Blue vs. Green and Yellow (me) in the end, with the two of us having significantly larger military power according to statistics, but SirVer having very strong soldiers, and he put up a formidable fight. In the end we unfortunately ran into a bug that cut the game short.

Still, it was an awesome experience. When I joined this project it was basically a viewer of Settlers 2 maps, and not much else. Now it's a full blown game that has given me five hours of intense entertainment. We've come a long, long way face-smile.png

Top Quote