Latest Posts

Topic: Is there any way to do a "naval invasion"?

DivineDamon
Topic Opener
Ranking
Just found this site
Posted at: 2021-02-09, 11:06

Hello, been liking the game a lot. However, on the autocrat gamemode, I've found that a lot of my games against the AI stall out once me and the AI have conquered islands with only 1 port spot, which means we can't invade them? Or am I missing a game mechanic? Just my last two games already went longer than 3 hours only for them to stall out like this, which is a massive feels bad. I love the colonisation aspect of the game, so naval warfare would be a lot of fun.

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2021-02-09, 11:18

DivineDamon wrote:

Hello, been liking the game a lot. However, on the autocrat gamemode, I've found that a lot of my games against the AI stall out once me and the AI have conquered islands with only 1 port spot, which means we can't invade them? Or am I missing a game mechanic? Just my last two games already went longer than 3 hours only for them to stall out like this, which is a massive feels bad. I love the colonisation aspect of the game, so naval warfare would be a lot of fun.

Hi and welcome to the forums.
Indeed this would be a big enhancement and much fun. Therefore it is on our wishlist since a very long time. However up to now none of our rare developers took up the case to implement it, as it is not trivial you might imagine.
At least I saw recently that one of our most productive developers has already created a branch for that implying he is working on this. So maybe we might get this in after release 1.0. But that is just guessing, so please do not nail me on this.
Up to then Autocrat is not winnable on some maps. Territorial Lord might be the better choice in this case

Top Quote
DragonAtma
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2021-02-09, 13:44

Naval invasions are likely needed for 1.0, seeing as naval maps can become stalemates without them, especially if islands have 2+ people.

I don't know if this is feasible, but an idea is giving military ships an Anchor ability; when activated, it turns the ship into a military site/limited warehouse for purposes of attacking. It would also force adjacent enemy ships to anchor, allowing sea battles. Raising anchor would turn it back to a ship.

You may need to restrict raising anchor during attacks to avoid exploits (and, for similar reasons, you should consider blocking Destroy/Dismantle Military Site while it's under attack; would YOU want to walk into a warzone just to knock down a building? ;) )

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2021-02-09, 14:18

DragonAtma wrote:

Naval invasions are likely needed for 1.0, seeing as naval maps can become stalemates without them, especially if islands have 2+ people.

this has been the case for the last 4 or 5 releases as well, and with a scheduled snow freeze on march 1st I see no way for 1.0.

I don't know if this is feasible, but an idea is giving military ships an Anchor ability; when activated, it turns the ship into a military site/limited warehouse for purposes of attacking. It would also force adjacent enemy ships to anchor, allowing sea battles. Raising anchor would turn it back to a ship.

There has been many ideas and discussions about this topic. And this (or derivates) were one of the ideas was one of the ideas

You may need to restrict raising anchor during attacks to avoid exploits (and, for similar reasons, you should consider blocking Destroy/Dismantle Military Site while it's under attack; would YOU want to walk into a warzone just to knock down a building? face-wink.png )

Well this would be counter intuitive. I think if the military building is dismanteled the attacking soldiers shall go back to the anchored ship from where they might start the next attack. If a port gets destroyed the place shall be conquerable by the attacker (or any other player)

There has been many ideas and discussions about this topic. And this (or derivates) were one of the ideas was one of the ideas

Top Quote
Hasi50
Version: 1.2 (selfcompiled master etc)
Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2021-02-09, 15:47

In such cases I use the Win-Condition "Territorial Time" or "Territorial Lord", for small maps this is +/- eqaul to "Autocrat". But for large maps is is quite reasonable and will help in your case, too.

But yes, this is a long wanted feature and your have nice ideas. Please help us and test our latest releases and see all the (other) new stuff that was implemented.

Here are the widelands where people may dwell, walking around care that evrythings well.

Top Quote
DragonAtma
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2021-02-09, 16:09

If we're headed towards a freeze then I'd better speed up making graphics, especially if renaming 1.0 to build 22 is not an option.

Edited: 2021-02-09, 16:10

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2021-02-09, 18:56

DragonAtma wrote:

If we're headed towards a freeze then I'd better speed up making graphics, especially if renaming 1.0 to build 22 is not an option.

Well the time for providing graphics might be a bit longer (2 weeks or so) but for features and strings the freeze is scheduled for 1st march

Literally there is no difference between build 22 or release 1.0 as Widelands was and hopefully never will be "finished"

Edited: 2021-02-09, 18:58

Top Quote
DivineDamon
Topic Opener
Ranking
Just found this site
Posted at: 2021-02-10, 20:10

Thanks for the replies. I'll continue playing the game with the territorial wincondition, thank you. I wanted to play the games with some more friends, but I'll wait a while to recommend it until we can play autocrat together!

Top Quote