Latest Posts

Topic: Right click mouse movement

wheekapig
Topic Opener
Ranking
Just found this site
Posted at: 2021-02-07, 13:43

Hi all, Just starting playing, and have tried to find if there's an option for this, but from what I can see, the right click mouse movement seems to move the "camera", not the "ground", so when you move right the "camera" moves right (so you see more of the ground to the right)... is there an option to invert this? I feel it's more intuitive if I'm actually "grabbing the ground" and dragging it, so right click and move right moves the view so I see more of the ground to the "left"

Put another way... The mouse currently moves the camera "over" the ground, I want to move the ground "under" the camera...

Weirdly though, I feel like the arrow keys are correct! Arrow right, I go right... I think it's something to do with the fact that I'm "clicking" on the ground my mind intuitively associates it with "grabbing the ground", maybe it's a hang over from other games like this?

...Also, I keep expecting the edge of the screen to move the view too.. perhaps I should have put this in the game suggestions thread??

Sorry if I've missed a really obvious option

Wheek-a-pig

Edited: 2021-02-07, 13:51

Top Quote
BoeseKaiser
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2021-02-07, 14:03

hey Wheekapig,

I don't think there is an option to do that, I could be wrong though. One gets used to it, but I have to say, it takes me a bit of time every time I switch games ! There are a couple of interface things that are not the "standard", but one gets used to it quite fast I'd say.

Welcome to the game, Have fun !

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Version: Recent tournament version
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2021-02-07, 18:03

In the very newest development version there is also the typical edge scrolling implemented which is common in strategy games. Maybe this also solves the problem? The problem though is that this is very slow, it might need a big speedup

Wanted to save the world, then I got widetracked

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Version: Recent tournament version
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2021-02-07, 22:33

By the way I think that the right click movement is correct. When you move to the right, then its similar to using the right arrow, so you go on the map to the right.

Wanted to save the world, then I got widetracked

Top Quote
Nordfriese
Version: Latest master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2021-02-07, 22:40

Hi wheekapig and welcome to the forums face-smile.png

As BoeseKaiser and WorldSavior say correctly there's no option for this yet, though we do have optional edge scrolliing now. Which direction the map should be moved when dragging is a matter of taste, so an option to invert the movement wouldn't hurt. I put it on the wishlist: https://github.com/widelands/widelands/issues/4662

Top Quote
knarf
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2024-01-09, 21:15

I feel it's more intuitive if I'm actually "grabbing the ground" and dragging it, so right click and move right moves the view so I see more of the ground to the "left"

I had the same feeling when I started the game and every time I come from other games or just my desktop I get the same. I have the feeling that almost everywhere else you "grab" something my click&move and in widelands it is the complete opposite.

I get that this is essentially just a matter of "getting used to", quite similar to the "scrolling up/down" setting you often have for GUIs (does "mouse wheel" or "touchpad scroll" in the "up" direction move something "up" or "down" on your desktop, e.g. while scrolling a long website"). I think all of them offer the choice, because there are enough people on both "camps" to insist that their way has to be supported. I have not found a feature request for such an option on the widelands tracker. Would it make sense to open one: would it be considered? I am not necessarily asking if someone would have the interest or time to actually do it, but to get some kind of approval of the idea.

Top Quote
tothxa
Version: some new PR I'm testing
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2024-01-09, 22:23

Main Menu → Options → In-Game → Invert click-and-drag map movement direction

Also

Main Menu → Options → Interface → Edit keyboard and mouse actions → Mouse Scrolling → Invert scroll direction for ...

Top Quote
knarf
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2024-01-10, 07:11

Thanks! I missed the first one because I firmly expected that to be at the "keyboard and mouse settings".

Top Quote
blind3rdeye
Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2024-01-13, 07:54

Yeah, in the years since this feature was first implemented, I think the trends and typically expectations around how click-and-drag works have flipped. (The rise of touch-screens is the main cause.) So it might be worth considering changing the default.

Top Quote
Nordfriese
Version: Latest master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2024-01-13, 08:42

Widelands is in many regards an old-style-ish game. 2D isometric view, game principles that originate from optimizations for low-performing processors, an old-fashioned UI design. These are all deliberate design choices. The traditional map movement is just another aspect of this, and consistent with the general look and feel. IMO it should therefore be kept as-is; and after all the option to invert it for those who prefer the modern type of dragging is only one checkbox tick away.

Top Quote