Latest Posts

Topic: Port as a military building

OIPUN
Topic Opener
Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2020-11-26, 00:30

Hi, from my point of view, there are not many changes needed. I like the game balance and settings. The normal difficulty is still a little bit weak, but I can still enjoy the game. If there will be a new tribe, it is great. The biggest problem I am not happy about is that a port is not a military building. That is why I don’t like maps with more islands and you can’t actually play a map with more islands without possibility of deadlock. The changes already made in seafaring are great but as long as there is a risk of deadlock, I still try to avoid playing these maps, especially those where you do not have gold close to your base as well. My suggestion would be, if you had a ship and your own port, you could attack any port on the map by embarking your soldiers in this port (kind of expedition with soldiers). There should be a limit of approximately 10 soldiers max per attack and no new attacks should start till the previous is done. As well, there should be a setting to tell how many soldiers do you want to keep in the port for its protection (without limit) and a limit of approximately again 10 soldiers to attack from the port itself. To solve the problem completely there would be maybe more changes needed. One more I see. What if the port space is occupied but no port is there. In this case you should be probably able to build a new port anyway there. The player who occupy this port space should get a notification about this before he would use the space for another building (this should also solve the problem when you use a port space for another building and you don't know there is any because of a tree or you don't occupy the territory completely). For this case there should be also possibility of a combined expedition (material for a port and unlimited amount of soldier, who will protect it as soon as the port is ready). I would probably prefer this option. Another option is that you should be able to attack the military building that occupy this port space. There are more ways how to handle it. It's a little bit complex but thank you for considering.

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-11-26, 09:31

Hi and welcome to the forums. This is indeed on our wishlist for a long time. But so far we did not came to realise that. The feature is dependent on a change in Warehouses to make them garrison soldiers like military sites.
So unfortunately We still need to be patient until this gets done some day hopefully.

https://github.com/widelands/widelands/issues/662
https://github.com/widelands/widelands/issues/855

Top Quote
OIPUN
Topic Opener
Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2020-11-27, 09:37

Thank you for your reply. I am glad to hear that there migt be a progress. I hope it will be possible in any new updated version.

Top Quote
CrisiusXIII
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2020-12-31, 04:04

Hi

I had a similare issue with the headquarters. after a big fight its silly that a single "mio solo" soldier can win the final fight. I had in mind that a simple extra TAB could help. i dont know if its possible but within that extra tab you just have to link to an guardhouse or if the game allows a complete castle. The game does not have to change much if soldiers have to walk out and back to enter the other tab. Then for the engine it probably will function the same as a very long path to follow, but in this case it will be just a short walk. If both storage and guardroom are filled up an enemy better think twice!!!

can this work ??

edit: https://github.com/widelands/widelands/issues/662 [quote] But this will change to tabs when bug 546799 is finished. [/quote]

Edited: 2020-12-31, 04:19

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-12-31, 16:09

@CrisiusxIII:
even if a change seems to be small in its effect on the game. (like this one m,ight seem) the underlying codework isn't simple. So a simplöe extra tab does have multiple layers of concern to be dealt with from graphics to handling to timing to AI to economy and so on. I believe this to be the reason why nobody had time or motivation to implement this yet.
So we need to wait until somebody finds time and motivation to do so.

Top Quote