Latest Posts

Topic: Build 21

mxb2001
Topic Opener
Version: 1.1
Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2020-10-01, 01:29

I just installed it via flatpak. As a Debian user games come out a decade after being updated it seems ;-) I have recently installed flatpak in order to try the latest Wesnoth and today I (belatedly) realized that if WL also has a flatpak I could finally upgrade from build 19! Wow! Lots of new schtuff! The ability to pick and choose soldiers is gorgeous. The new graphic for work area is easier than the old one too. Some that I don't quite understand are the ability to hide soldier levels. The zoom out zoom in when using goto is interesting too. Slower but provides better context.

I've run 3 of the tutorials so far and I did notice an error in the second one. Very minor. One of the text message boxes makes reference at one point to the 3 tribes... I am quite looking forward to playing the Frisians (yes build 19 is my previous!) and so I noted this obsolete phrase.

Oh and this:
How to identify trees.
The Larch.
Well in WL you don't need John Cleese and a slide projector, all you do is point your little mouse at the item of interest. :-) Oh and so glad there is an option to toggle use of system pointer as flatpak screws up pointers mightily (both here and in Wesnoth).

Edited: 2020-10-01, 01:30

--
To Boldly Go Where No Man Has Gone Before

Top Quote
ektor
Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2020-10-01, 08:33

mxb2001 wrote:

I just installed it via flatpak. As a Debian user games come out a decade after being updated it seems face-wink.png I have recently installed flatpak in order to try the latest Wesnoth and today I (belatedly) realized that if WL also has a flatpak I could finally upgrade from build 19! Wow! Lots of new schtuff! The ability to pick and choose soldiers is gorgeous. The new graphic for work area is easier than the old one too. Some that I don't quite understand are the ability to hide soldier levels. The zoom out zoom in when using goto is interesting too. Slower but provides better context.

Oh and this: How to identify trees. The Larch. Well in WL you don't need John Cleese and a slide projector, all you do is point your little mouse at the item of interest. face-smile.png Oh and so glad there is an option to toggle use of system pointer as flatpak screws up pointers mightily (both here and in Wesnoth).

And developers can't stop improving the game, it's crazy!

Notice also that now we have a league of Widelands that just start.

I don't know this John, but I like the way you say it, it's funny face-grin.png

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-10-01, 09:59

mxb2001 wrote:

I've run 3 of the tutorials so far and I did notice an error in the second one. Very minor. One of the text message boxes makes reference at one point to the 3 tribes...

ok I just created a Pull request to fix that. thanks for the report. Edit: PR got merged already

Edited: 2020-10-01, 10:32

Top Quote
mxb2001
Topic Opener
Version: 1.1
Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2020-10-01, 17:46

> *ektor wrote:*
> > *mxb2001 wrote:*
> > Oh and this:
> > How to identify trees.
> > The Larch.
> > Well in WL you don't need John Cleese and a slide projector, all you do is point your little mouse at the item of interest. :-) Oh and so glad there is an option to toggle use of system pointer as flatpak screws up pointers mightily (both here and in Wesnoth).
>
> And developers can't stop improving the game, it's crazy!
>
> Notice also that now we have a league of Widelands that just start.
>
> I don't know this John, but I like the way you say it, it's funny :D

Oh yeah Build 19 was nice, but this current one rocks. You can see what stuff is being shipped to sites, amazing. The graphics when you zoom in all the way are stunning. Apparently too you no longer have to empty a building's wares before dismantle/upgrade (not tried yet but I read about it). Oh and those crazy Frisians with their bees and the lazy carriers lolling about on the ground! (BTW really useful to see which roads are unused and can be straightened)

As regards John Cleese he's one of the British Monty Python cast from the show in the 60's. I think it's the funniest show ever made and he's one of the funniest guys alive. If you think I said it funny, you will LOVE how he says it on the show! :)

--
To Boldly Go Where No Man Has Gone Before

Top Quote
the-x
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-10-01, 18:01

mxb2001 wrote:

ektor wrote:

Oh yeah Build 19 was nice, but this current one rocks. You can see what stuff is being shipped to sites, amazing. The graphics when you zoom in all the way are stunning. Apparently too you no longer have to empty a building's wares before dismantle/upgrade (not tried yet but I read about it). Oh and those crazy Frisians with their bees and the lazy carriers lolling about on the ground! (BTW really useful to see which roads are unused and can be straightened)

As regards John Cleese he's one of the British Monty Python cast from the show in the 60's. I think it's the funniest show ever made and he's one of the funniest guys alive. If you think I said it funny, you will LOVE how he says it on the show! face-smile.png

A lot of Ideas have been implemented. I am very happy that everyone has the same right to work, improve and give his Ideas. Also try them out face-smile.png

Top Quote
the-x
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-10-01, 18:12

ektor wrote:

You can try the Tournament Version of Widelands, its focused on a more, maybe very detailed balancing

https://fil.email/Ud0g5lNr

Try it here, its easy: just copy the data folder in the existing data folder (C\Widelands\Data) aaand play

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-10-01, 20:18

the-x wrote:

You can try the Tournament Version of Widelands, its focused on a more, maybe very detailed balancing

https://fil.email/Ud0g5lNr

Try it here, its easy: just copy the data folder in the existing data folder (C\Widelands\Data) aaand play

Just a short disclaimer:
the provided link does lead to an unofficial mod of the game (moddability is an important feature of widelands and encouraged). Whilst this might contain a lot of useful stuff, it might be uncompatible with the official versions. No support will be provided from the dev team for that.
Official versions (including dev builds) are only available from our downloadpage (https://www.widelands.org/wiki/Download/)

Top Quote
slimjim2
Ranking
Just found this site
Posted at: 2020-11-12, 10:11

Hi I'm a noob face-smile.png Widelands Build 21 was Released on 2020-07-18, but why I have build 20 after installing via apt ? I installed it mid october. Thank you for your answer.

Top Quote
Nordfriese
Version: Latest master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-11-12, 10:25

Moin slimjim2 and welcome to the forums face-smile.png

Most ubuntu- and debian-based operating systems are very slow about updating their official repositories so apt is always likely to install outdated versions. If you want to use the newest version I recommend that you install build-21 from our PPA as described here: https://www.widelands.org/wiki/Download/#debianubuntu
Hope this helps you face-smile.png

Top Quote
Tibor

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-11-13, 14:45

Not ubuntu user myself, but I would say that once ubuntu version is out they do not update package versions much - with exception of security fixes.

Top Quote