Latest Posts

Topic: Efficiency of Scouting

GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-10-30, 09:26

If we should decide for a walk-to-flag functionality, it should act as a persistent waymarker for the building. The scout will then walk to that flag, execute the same program he's executing right now with that flag as a starting point, then return to the building. If there is no waymarker, the scout will simply start scouting from the building like he does right now.

This way, you won't have to keep building new buildings, but pay for that with the longer walking time.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
JanO
Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2020-10-30, 09:47

How do we manage multiple scouts then. Someone has to tell them to pick the closest scouting-flag if there is a new one (+ a new scout built nearby). Or multiple flags for one scout?

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-10-30, 09:59

The scouting flag would be assigned to the individual building if we use it as a waypoint.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
Nordfriese
Version: Latest master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-10-30, 10:45

Would it be possible to reassign a scout hut's scouting flag? If not, there would be no significant difference to the current implementation.
And would the scout keep scouting around the selected flag until you manually stop the building or move the waypoint to a different flag? If yes, this would not solve the issue that scouts require too much micromanaging to not consume too much food. Clicking on a flag and having a scout go there and scout once would be preferable IMHO.

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Version: Recent tournament version
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-10-30, 17:48

Changing scouts would probably be a waste of work; not necessarily improving the game, maybe making it worse

Wanted to save the world, then I got widetracked

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-10-30, 19:00

WorldSavior wrote:

Changing scouts or sight ranges of buildings is not necessary at all.

Changing scouts would probably be a waste of work; not necessarily improving the game, maybe making it worse

Looks like you are against some changes. It's your opinion, but an opinion without arguments is useless. Do you use scouts?

Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote
teppo

Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2020-10-31, 13:28

Nordfriese wrote:

I never use scouts either. Except once in fri02 when 20 rations are not easily afforded.

Scouts are sometimes necessary: If the enemy has built a citadel, and you can only build small military buildings (rough terrain), then attack without scouts would be impossible. I have also not built scouts too much, but because I think that the running price (steals bread from mines/training) is quite high, and therefore forgetting a scout somewhere is bad.

My recommended way to enhance scouts is to make the scout work without food (lumberjacks harvest their own food from the surroundings, why would scouts not do the same) and maybe reduce the maximum range, so that one has to dismantle/rebuild the huts now and then.

Would it be possible to reassign a scout hut's scouting flag?

Would I be able to place the flag into unknown/enemy territory? One flag per scout or a global one? Would scout work like geologist (=do a time limited run) or until instructed otherwise? If yes: Would there still be scouts' huts, or would scouting become "just like gelogists"?

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-10-31, 16:20

I think a scout's flag should definitely be within your own territory, just like for geologists. It will become too powerful otherwise.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
the-x
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-10-31, 19:02

WorldSavior wrote:

Changing scouts or sight ranges of buildings is not necessary at all.

Dont write all the time the same things world savior - if you do so tell us why

WorldSavior wrote:

not necessarily improving the game, maybe making it worse

again - why?

Top Quote
teppo

Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2020-10-31, 19:11

GunChleoc wrote:

I think a scout's flag should definitely be within your own territory, just like for geologists. It will become too powerful otherwise.

If all you would need to scout is a flag (as with geologists), would the scout be too powerful or still okay?

Top Quote