Topic: Efficiency of Scouting

hessenfarmer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-10-28, 12:34

the-x wrote:

There are always 2

• Balance between the 4 tribes, aim: that Atlantean win as often as Imperium

we will have 5 of them pretty soon. And balancing should aim for having comparable overall chances. However they won't be equal in a single map.

• Balance the game itself - which rational choices a player will make in a game

this is not balance it is just simply design of the game. As this is very much dependent on personal preferences we are working on the addon system where users could modify this design to their personal liking in an even easier way then currently possible.

Top Quote
the-x
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-10-28, 12:43

hessenfarmer wrote:

the-x wrote:

There are always 2

• Balance between the 4 tribes, aim: that Atlantean win as often as Imperium

having comparable overall chances

Ecactly this is what is the most important thing. So we do need to look at all the components - and give them a strengh in probability.

If we argue, Atlanteans are better on big maps, Amazons do need no gold or iron so are stronger on maps with less of Ressources, we shall carefully balance this macrobalance out. Maybe the advantage of no gold/ no iron leads to a 80% of winning the game whilst Atlantean Bonus on small maps is maybe only about 0,01%

• Balance the game itself - which rational choices a player will make in a game

we are working on the addon system where users could modify this design to their personal liking

+1

very good Idea

Players should also in every game get the chance to decide between different strategies - i mean saying full hero is superior to every played strategy limits the real choice to 1.

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-10-29, 06:55

I wonder who is using a scout after all. I do not use a scout in any game.

Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote
Nordfriese
Version: Latest master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-10-29, 09:44

I never use scouts either. Except once in fri02 when 20 rations are not easily afforded.

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-10-29, 10:29

Well, scouting is useful in Multiplayer I think. In SP I don't use any scout either but in MP this is a different thing.

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-10-29, 16:06

Making scouting much more expensive will cause a player to not use a scout at all, imho.

I like the concept of a scout, but since a scout isn't used much often, at least in single player, scouting should be much cheaper. Maybe he can be send at a flag, like a geologist, without cost? The scouts hut can be some sort of scouts training hut then. Training a scout cost two snacks?

Just brainstorming face-smile.png

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-10-29, 16:13

the scout needs food to be feeded while scouting. So I wouldn't change anything at all. Which means keeping them cheap but with maintenance/operation cost ans relatively uneffective.

Top Quote
Nordfriese
Version: Latest master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-10-29, 16:30

The main reason why I don't use scouts is the inconvenience of having to build the building near the border, watch the scout a few times, and then dismantle the building again. Clicking on a flag instead of building a scout's hut would be much better. But it would overpower the scout if we don't need food for every scouting trip.

How about having a scout's hut where food is stored and a scout lives there and does nothing; and when you click on a flag and choose "Send Scout" then a scout living in a scout's hut will consume a ration, walk to the flag, scout a bit, and go back home?

Edit: Implementation-wise, we could reuse the geologist code for the walk-to-flag-and-do-something behaviour. The scout's hut would be a kind of recruitment site that turns carriers plus rations into scouts when the economy requests a scout, and the scout would become a carrier again after one round of scouting so he can't be reused.

Edited: 2020-10-29, 16:36

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-10-30, 07:50

Nordfriese wrote:

How about having a scout's hut where food is stored and a scout lives there and does nothing; and when you click on a flag and choose "Send Scout" then a scout living in a scout's hut will consume a ration, walk to the flag, scout a bit, and go back home?

Sounds good, imho. Let him consume 2 snacks/ration because the scout has probably more area to walk (the roads until he arrives at the requesting flag + exploring).

... the scout would become a carrier again after one round of scouting so he can't be reused.

That sounds wired. The time needed for exploring will be much more because the scouts hut is probably far away from the requesting flag. If a carrier must walk from a warehouse to a scouts hut before he get a scout, this needs additionally time.

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Version: Recent tournament version
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-10-30, 08:04

Changing scouts or sight ranges of buildings is not necessary at all.

Wanted to save the world, then I got widetracked

Top Quote