Latest Posts

Topic: Setup for balanced Multiplayer

the-x
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-10-06, 19:25

What I like most about the setup for balanced multiplayer is that you see in every game every kind of soldier which makes sence depending to the development of your gameplay and the current ressources you find around.

Axes on the lower stage are cheaper now which always puts you up to individual decision, will I upgrade you to hero or will I first get more soldiers to stage 3? Same decision many times, at the beginning, maybe some of stage 1 will help, this is leading that even on small maps you have situations where your first contact will be with 5 level 1 soldiers of your partner whilst you try it with 1 hero. Before the first contact was always the same. Massive soldier attck, all rookies or massive soldier attack at the begininning combined with 1 or 2 hero later. Now almost everything is possible, and a lot more challenging as there are so many ways you can go. You need one stage to hero whilst there is an attack at your fortress with 3 lvl 3 soldiers what will you do, will you hold, will you upgrade?

https://fil.email/VQo7XJWn

Hope it will also find a way to main page, so everyone can enjoy it and try it out. Maybe just some Ideas out of it.

-

Includes a Tournament Setup:

• Fixes that Atlanteans are a bit overpowered

• Makes Multiplayer Maps very nicecely and competetive playable

• Many Algorhythms are improved, like the Trainingssite-Algorithm. especially: It can now train every soldier to its individual maximum without needing to close all Trainingssites slot and open only 1 slot and it sorts soldiers a lot faster by accelerating the skipping process

• Gameplay is smoother by adjusting the tower radiuses and Atlantean Towers are no longer a lot stronger than the others, beginning expansion is a bit faster

• Efficiency is adjusted to costs of buildings and to relativly strengh of units

It can be used for Players who want to play a balanced Multiplayer Game, it can be used to try another Balance, whilst im also liking the old balance very much. Especially for Singleplayer I prefer the default balance. It enables Tournament and competitive gameplay and makes games a lot more interesting, upgrades are also a bit easier and faster to reach, so that in the first contact you and your friend already have some unit promotions.

I like it very much, so try it out and replace the "tribe" folder in "Widelands/Data/Tribes" to try it.

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-10-15, 20:12

See also https://www.widelands.org/forum/topic/4981/?page=1#post-35071 which also talks about axes.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
the-x
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-10-16, 11:29

Now this version has some minor changes in it and someone told me the old version couldnt be downloaded anymore

https://fil.email/6cir8mcW

The tribes folder, this has a lot of changes from https://www.widelands.org/forum/topic/4981/?page=1#post-35071 in it plus experimental try in military site costs and balancing, which is not perfect atm

Top Quote
the-x
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-10-17, 12:18

Here is an explanation Video from playtesting explaining some resaons why it there is necessarity to implement the gameplay changes. We hope it can be done soon and before build 22 to have a balanced as well as playable multiplayer setup

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygALK7PJ8W8

![description]https://www.widelands.org/forum/attachment/d91e965210c690290d3a61ea3238f92bab6b500c/

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-10-19, 19:47

You posted the exact same video in https://www.widelands.org/forum/topic/4981/?page=2#post-35120

Please don't post the same thing twice, it is not helping face-sad.png

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
the-x
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-10-19, 23:18

I'm also waiting for your Feedback GunChleoc

Relation:

Axes on the lower stage are cheaper now which always puts you up to individual decision, will I upgrade you to hero or will I first get more soldiers to stage 3? Same decision many times, at the beginning, maybe some of stage 1 will help, this is leading that even on small maps you have situations where your first contact will be with 5 level 1 soldiers of your partner whilst you try it with 1 hero. Before the first contact was always the same. Massive soldier attck, all rookies or massive soldier attack at the begininning combined with 1 or 2 hero later. Now almost everything is possible, and a lot more challenging as there are so many ways you can go. You need one stage to hero whilst there is an attack at your fortress with 3 lvl 3 soldiers what will you do, will you hold, will you upgrade?

Top Quote
JanO
Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2020-10-20, 00:49

Talking about lack of coders...
I would vote for letting coders do as much codework as they want, especially GunCheloc and anybody else with C-knowledge. Look into this thread or that thread to get a clue why.

All the balancing stuff is just adjusting some numbers in the .lua-files. The-x, you seem to already do that. Why don't you just create an own branch on git and once you have a satisfying set of values, you acquire some other players to test that branch with you in 1vs1, 2vs2, 3vs1, tournament or whatever matches. That way it should even work without desyncs.

If we (=simple players) ever want to have stuff like trading, interactive tutoring or naval warfare being implemented, we should not try to consume too much time from those doing things we are not capable of doing ourselves, I guess.

Top Quote
the-x
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-10-20, 00:58

Excellent answer :- ) I have done a Setup now, which i will go in detail more. First i need top know if this general Idea works and therefore I need Players for Playtesting - for what I open an extra thread or how to do that - how do they get the exact version. i upload "tribes" every time? On git im better not doing anything before programming something wrong?

I like to do balancing a lot and I'm working on one that is excepted by everyone with only detailed small changes and one version which is bestly playable from multiplayer with own ideas.

Edited: 2020-10-20, 01:15

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-10-20, 10:34

I'm also waiting for your Feedback GunChleoc

As I said in the other thread where you double-posted the video, it has no sound, so I don't understand any of it.

I also already told you that I am not a balancing expert but that I focus on engine development. So, asking me specifically for detailed feedback on specific balancing changes is beside the point. I only posted in one of your multiple threads because I was trying to help you communicate your ideas better.

Edited: 2020-10-20, 20:42

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
JanO
Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2020-10-20, 19:05

the-x wrote: On git im better not doing anything before programming something wrong?

GunCheloc put a lot of effort into the migration to git, wrote tips and stuff for everybody here. Please have a look in this thread and read the instructions from the how-to linked there. Git is aware of people destroying stuff with programming mistakes and delivers possibilities to protect the master-branch from those.

Top Quote