Latest Posts

Topic: Multiple warhouses

niektory
Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2020-10-17, 12:49

If you want to be 100% sure the reed goes to the building you want it to go, you need to close all the other slots (or cut the roads). Higher priority will make more wares go there, but not all wares.

Top Quote
mxb2001
Topic Opener
Version: 1.1
Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2020-10-18, 04:16

niektory wrote:

If you want to be 100% sure the reed goes to the building you want it to go, you need to close all the other slots (or cut the roads). Higher priority will make more wares go there, but not all wares.

Yes the traffic lights are a bit misleading I think. In traffic RED means STOP. Here it means deliver less. Perhaps the graphics can be reworked to help new players.

+ 0 -

Maybe that would be better? Also I have to point out that it is hard to see which of the 3 is selected, that could also be improved with greater contrast.

--
To Boldly Go Where No Man Has Gone Before

Top Quote
Nordfriese
Version: Latest master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-10-18, 12:51

How about replacing the three buttons with a slider? Then we could also have a bit more fine-grained control than just three states, and the UI would be more visible and also a more comfortable click target.

Internally the three priorities correspond to the weighting constants 2, 4 and 8, so more steps should be easy to implement.

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Version: Recent tournament version
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-10-18, 13:40

Nordfriese wrote:

How about replacing the three buttons with a slider? Then we could also have a bit more fine-grained control than just three states, and the UI would be more visible and also a more comfortable click target.

Internally the three priorities correspond to the weighting constants 2, 4 and 8, so more steps should be easy to implement.

If the slider doesn't have to many steps - why not.

For example it could have 5 steps: The three current and then "all wares are distributed first to these buildings" and "put wares only in if they are needed nowhere else"

And it should not be a pure slider but clicking should also be still possible.

Wanted to save the world, then I got widetracked

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-10-18, 13:47

Nordfriese wrote:

I don't think it is needed to have more steps in between. The possibility to prefer a ware for a construction side isn't used often, imho. And sometimes this is confusing as well, because sometimes a ware needs to be transported form a far away spot, leaving the construction site waiting a long time for a ware. There might be a warehouse nearby the construction site, which, in the meantime were the ware get transported to the construction site, get filled with the same ware. A player looks into the warehouse and asking himself why the hell the construction don't get the ware from this warehouse?
Of course one can force the construction site to cancel the demand and demand the ware again, in which case the ware from the nearby warehouse will be delivered.

More steps for delivering wares doesn't make the game better, imho. A slider might work to make this more visible though.

Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote
Nordfriese
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-10-18, 15:14

I use the priority buttons a lot, not just for constructionsites but also for productionsites. Depends on playing style…

For example it could have 5 steps: The three current and then "all wares are distributed first to these buildings" and "put wares only in if they are needed nowhere else"

This would be pretty hard to implement actually. But an extra-low and super-high priority could be achieved by just using huge weighting factor differences, e.g. 0, 2, 4, 8, 1024. The code where this weighting is used is in https://github.com/widelands/widelands/blob/master/src/economy/request.cc#L287

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Version: Recent tournament version
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-10-18, 16:07

Nordfriese wrote:

I use the priority buttons a lot, not just for constructionsites but also for productionsites. Depends on playing style…

Me too

This would be pretty hard to implement actually. But an extra-low and super-high priority could be achieved by just using huge weighting factor differences, e.g. 0, 2, 4, 8, 1024. The code where this weighting is used is in https://github.com/widelands/widelands/blob/master/src/economy/request.cc#L287

1024 would be good then. If it works. An even higher number instead could also make sense, but there will be probably problems if the number gets too high, I guess

Wanted to save the world, then I got widetracked

Top Quote
Nordfriese
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-10-18, 18:22

https://github.com/widelands/widelands/issues/4374

Top Quote
mxb2001
Topic Opener
Version: 1.1
Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2020-10-21, 02:28

kaputtnik wrote: Of course one can force the construction site to cancel the demand and demand the ware again, in which case the ware from the nearby warehouse will be delivered.

How do you do this?

--
To Boldly Go Where No Man Has Gone Before

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-10-21, 07:19

By reducing the number wares in its ware input queues.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote