Latest Posts

Topic: Soldier / Battle Animations

chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2010-10-22, 19:35

@SirVer: Thanks for the description of S2 battles. Every possible approach of depicting the fights is welcome.

Regarding the Barbarians:

SirVer wrote: 1) I agree. I'd love to see them get away with their shields as they are really weak on the defense.

When the battle animations are worked up, I'll make some samples of the Barbarian fighting with and without a shield for comparison.

. .

In a related matter:

Does any one have a suggestion on how to link a video clip to this forum, aside from Youtube or Vimeo which I think are too public, but I'll use them if needed? Alternatively, I can post still frames, of course, or push a branch to Launchpad.

I see little people.

Top Quote
Venatrix
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2010-10-22, 20:34

Yes, I thought something like "that's not possible at the moment". But I'm happy that you all seem to like the idea as a possible future feature. face-smile.png And as I know that my ideas of soldier-level-implementation aren't possible to realize (though I don't know the code, not to speak of C++), I like SirVers suggestion of level-design independent of the training.

Back to the soldiers: I suppose that, if the sleeves are long, the soldiers are too colourful? I imagine the barbarians as a folk of the north (or at least of a temperate zone), so short sleeves don't exactly fit the picture. I could imagine, that they are wearing a long-sleeved armour in silver or bronze and the trousers are in player colour.

Two is the oddest prime.

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2010-10-22, 21:12

Venatrix wrote: Back to the soldiers: I suppose that, if the sleeves are long, the soldiers are too colourful? I imagine the barbarians as a folk of the north (or at least of a temperate zone), so short sleeves don't exactly fit the picture. I could imagine, that they are wearing a long-sleeved armour in silver or bronze and the trousers are in player colour.

Hmmmm... I'll post a couple variations and we can see what everyone likes. face-wink.png

I see little people.

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2010-10-22, 23:11

Here are some variations of the barbarian soldier:

1)With shield and mail shirt Barb_sold_Shield_mail

2)Just mail shirt with long sleeves Barb_sold_mail_noshield Barb_sold_mail_noshield_2

3)And here is the first again with a cloth shirt Barb_sold_clothshirt Barb_sold_clothshirt_2

Personally, I think we can get by without the shield and go with the mail shirt with the long player color sleeves and trousers.

Comments?

Edited: 2010-10-23, 21:34

I see little people.

Top Quote
sigra

Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2010-10-23, 15:17

Nasenbaer wrote: I was not aware, that the soldier animations were missing.

Looks like you committed the animation frames (not so long ago). So you should have kept track of therir source face-wink.png

http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~widelands-dev/widelands/trunk/changes?filter_file_id=tribes/barbarians/soldier/walk__e__00__pc.png

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2010-10-23, 15:44

sigra wrote:

Looks like you committed the animation frames (not so long ago). So you should have kept track of therir source

We'll definitely be more careful in the future if I can do anything about it! That's the primary purpose of the Media trunk. Creating from scratch is hard work! It pays to honor your ancestors, remember your roots, and ARCHIVE YOUR BLENDER FILES! face-grin.png

I see little people.

Top Quote
Venatrix
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2010-10-23, 16:24

I like the second version. It fits my picture of the barbarian soldiers very well face-smile.png

Two is the oddest prime.

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2010-10-23, 17:01

I like the second version, too, but I'm going to adjust the color of the mail shirt a little to give it a "rustier" look I think. After all, they ARE barbarians. face-smile.png

I see little people.

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2010-10-23, 21:32

I'm sensing a preference for the mailshirt version of our barbarian soldier. Here then are the two current contenders. I've not included shields to give the best possible view of the character if we ultimately decide to abandon the shields. (Which is fine by me.)

First, the original mailshirt version: Barb_sold_orig_mail Barb_sold_orig_mail2

And here is the adjusted "rustier" color: Barb_sold_rusty_mail Barb_sold_rusty_mail2 Barb_sold_rusty_mail2

The difference is subtle, but I personally like the "rustier" look. face-smile.png

Comments?

Edited: 2010-10-23, 21:43

I see little people.

Top Quote
Venatrix
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2010-10-23, 22:11

I must confess that I didn't like the original colour of the mail shirt, but I didn't dare to ask for a change… *looking shy*

The rustier look is fine by me. face-smile.png IMHO it looks more like an iron shirt now.

Two is the oddest prime.

Top Quote