Latest Posts

Topic: The great Stormflood add tips for final stormflood

hessenfarmer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-12-08, 11:20

teppo wrote:

I just played this.

Should the recycling center be enabled once the first super soldier is created? At that point, the player will have some scrap items.

I don't think so as it is explained as spoiler "new invention" in the second scenario spoiler off. Having it in the first scenario isn't necessary imho. for the cosmetics we could have special buildings in the first scenario which do not produce crap. But this would be kind of overdone in my eyes.

In addition, once the ship was set up, I got a "cannot execute (null)" message. There might be a bug lurking somewhere.

Nordfriese wrote:

In the Holy Bible, the Lord God often does not help his people directly but can be rather vindictive against those who behave in an inacceptable way against them…

Despite all this, could this god still instruct the player to build some essential construction items (warehouse, brickmaker, reed farm, well/claypit, woodharvester/planter and so) to the frontline, when player is nearing the enemy HQ? If so, all the player would need to do after the catastrophe is to send the shipbuilder from HQ to frontline warehouse?

Well, I don't believe this to be a good suggestion. It would be hard to feed such a hint with background story. it isn't normal tactics either. And we already made a savegame to restart where all these decisions and ware routings could be done. the necessity of more warehouses is already explained when starting weapon production and if not at least 2 additional warehouses available you would get a major congestion anyway.

Top Quote
teppo

Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2019-12-08, 13:37

hessenfarmer wrote:

I don't think so as it is explained as spoiler "new invention" in the second scenario spoiler off. Having it in the first scenario isn't necessary imho. for the cosmetics we could have special buildings in the first scenario which do not produce crap. But this would be kind of overdone in my eyes.

There is a 2nd Frisian scenario? Apparently, I did not pass through the first one, possibly because of

In addition, once the ship was set up, I got a "cannot execute (null)" message. There might be a bug lurking somewhere.

Top Quote
mxb2001
Version: 1.1
Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2020-10-09, 02:31

I just finished this. Victory on the second try from a full restart (I hate reloading). I built 4 warehouses and the 4th was quite close to enemy HQ yet it got flooded by the time the expedition was ready. That water moves FAST!

I tried to save everything before it got flooded but it is quite impossible to empty a warehouse even if you start hours before the flood. The logjams on the roads (literally logs jammed up on some parts!) were crazy. At one point after I changed the warehouse setting back to normal from the prior send everything east they all stopped. Every road had a carrier/reindeer doing the moonwalk endlessly. Turns out though you can unstick them if you kill the road (but NOT the flags) which does not murder the carrier/reindeer OR lose the ware being carried. They just find another flag and then things start rolling again. Of course a reasonable person would only empty the essential wares.

As for suggestions for improvement... hmmm well I guess it would be nice if the final obj. listed what wares you need to move east in order to build a port/shipyward/weaving plus a ship plus an expedition. Oh and I wonder if it was neccesary to add soldiers to the expedition (I did) in order to win. The talkers suggest 15 but only 5 slots were available?

Re: more hints about the flood... actually there are quite a few in the name and the various descriptive elements of the story. Unfortunately most people will ignore them as being decorations. Perhaps at the start of the scenario a seer could prophesy some bad omens suggesting that a disaster was coming. This would be much more clearly a warning than the other elements of the story which can be taken for "atmosphere".

--
To Boldly Go Where No Man Has Gone Before

Top Quote
Nordfriese
Version: Latest master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-10-09, 10:38

I built 4 warehouses and the 4th was quite close to enemy HQ yet it got flooded by the time the expedition was ready. That water moves FAST!

The idea is that it should be a narrow escape. Btw the speed depends heavily on the difficulty you chose in the scenario setup screen.

As for suggestions for improvement... hmmm well I guess it would be nice if the final obj. listed what wares you need to move east in order to build a port/shipyward/weaving plus a ship plus an expedition.

You can find the amount of wares you will need easily in the fieldaction window (tooltip for the building types) as well as in the encyclopedia. No need to do that.

Oh and I wonder if it was neccesary to add soldiers to the expedition (I did) in order to win. The talkers suggest 15 but only 5 slots were available?

Unfortunately the new additional-items feature makes this a bit confusing. The scenario is older than that feature, and the idea is that the soldiers have to be located in the port when the game ends to be carried over to the next scenario. I guess it would make sense to additionally preserve any wares, workers and soldiers that are taken on the ship in addition to the normal soldier takeover. Or disable taking additional items for this scenario.
Edit: https://github.com/widelands/widelands/issues/4328
Edit: https://github.com/widelands/widelands/pull/4330

Re: more hints about the flood... actually there are quite a few in the name and the various descriptive elements of the story. Unfortunately most people will ignore them as being decorations. Perhaps at the start of the scenario a seer could prophesy some bad omens suggesting that a disaster was coming. This would be much more clearly a warning than the other elements of the story which can be taken for "atmosphere".

If they ignore it, it's their own fault. As a rule I don't say any unimportant things in campaign texts. (Or did I? If there is one it should be removed face-wink.png ) Seers and prophecies would not fit to the tribe – and the disaster is not foretellable, it's God's punishment for destroying another settlement. If you had left the other tribe alone, the island would not have been flooded! (Well you would all have been killed by the enemies but that's a different matter…)

Edited: 2020-10-09, 13:23

Top Quote
mxb2001
Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2020-10-10, 02:35

I had a huge experienced army, way more than 15 in the port I'm sure. How does it pick which ones?

--

Top Quote
TuStudent
Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2020-10-10, 08:32

Nordfriese wrote: Seers and prophecies would not fit to the tribe – and the disaster is not foretellable, it's God's punishment for destroying another settlement.

Seers and prophecies are more realistic, than making the game that unexpected that you have to have backuped your live, and after it went wrong you have to replay it. Imho something should be changed about this tutorial, but I don't know what.

hessenfarmer wrote: (deleted) In fact managing road transport is the heart of this scenario I believe, so this is where you loose or win.

Yes, but if you build a thick forest-wall to defend against the emeny, as suggested in this campain. You can hardly fell trees since those places of the forest rangers are replaced by trees by the next forest ranger. Therfore I consider it as a unrealistic road-transport-management.

Top Quote
Nordfriese
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-10-10, 10:30

mxb2001 wrote:

I had a huge experienced army, way more than 15 in the port I'm sure. How does it pick which ones?

Random. That's why you're explicitly told to send your best men to the port face-wink.png

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-10-10, 11:59

TuStudent wrote:

Nordfriese wrote: Seers and prophecies would not fit to the tribe – and the disaster is not foretellable, it's God's punishment for destroying another settlement.

Seers and prophecies are more realistic, than making the game that unexpected that you have to have backuped your live, and after it went wrong you have to replay it. Imho something should be changed about this tutorial, but I don't know what.

I like it like it is, except it could use some more side plots for variety. Regarding the unforeseeable plot it is not different from the atlanteans first scenario, and some twists in the plot makes fun in a campaign imho.

hessenfarmer wrote: (deleted) In fact managing road transport is the heart of this scenario I believe, so this is where you loose or win.

Yes, but if you build a thick forest-wall to defend against the emeny, as suggested in this campain. You can hardly fell trees since those places of the forest rangers are replaced by trees by the next forest ranger. Therfore I consider it as a unrealistic road-transport-management.

Well if you are strong enough to attack, you should dismantle the foresters perhaps and tear down the forest to have free attack routes. And after crushing the first line of defense there is much time to get the road network improved and to get the wares shifted.

Top Quote
mxb2001
Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2020-10-10, 18:26

Nordfriese wrote:

mxb2001 wrote:

Random. That's why you're explicitly told to send your best men to the port face-wink.png

Aha! Gotcha there. You didn't say to send ONLY your best men. I did send my best men. And the rest too. : )

--

Top Quote
Nordfriese
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-10-10, 19:02

mxb2001 wrote:

Nordfriese wrote:

mxb2001 wrote:

Aha! Gotcha there. You didn't say to send ONLY your best men. I did send my best men. And the rest too. : )

Same logic: Recently I defeated an enemy, as I was told by the win condition. But I lost my last warehouse in the process.

Top Quote