Latest Posts

Topic: Unsutainable land wildlife

kaputtnik
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-09-18, 08:33

hessenfarmer wrote:

Well, I always voted against that change due to multiple reasons. So now I vote to revert the reproducible animals change. It has provided only small value to the game (if at all) and caused aus multiple problems.
If we revert this the map would look like the map designer wants it to look at least until the hunters go in. Adding another simulation feature here (simulating individual bob behaviour) would end up with the next wanted feature to make something else more realistic and simulate it more in detail, all of this adding little to the gameplay but cost time and performance.
Imho this is still a game and not a simulation of live.

+1

Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote
the-x
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-09-18, 08:46

kaputtnik wrote:

hessenfarmer wrote:

Well, I always voted against that change due to multiple reasons. So now I vote to revert the reproducible animals change. It has provided only small value to the game (if at all) and caused aus multiple problems.
If we revert this the map would look like the map designer wants it to look at least until the hunters go in. Adding another simulation feature here (simulating individual bob behaviour) would end up with the next wanted feature to make something else more realistic and simulate it more in detail, all of this adding little to the gameplay but cost time and performance.
Imho this is still a game and not a simulation of live.

+1

+1

Top Quote
Nordfriese
Version: Latest master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-09-18, 13:27

Widelands is a do-ocracy – devs implement what they want to implement face-wink.png

I don't have very much time for Widelands this week and next, but I have few open branches ATM so I'd rather work on improving this feature than deleting it again. Once multithreading is in it will be possible to get some performance boosts in the game logic as well (my next project) which should be extendable to also allow herd simulation at an acceptable CPU cost. at least I want to try that before removing the code face-wink.png and I do believe coordinated animal herds would look good in WideLands

Top Quote
JanO
Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2020-09-18, 16:11

Make it optional for map designers in the editor.

From time to time one or the other complains about widelands being too much about military stuff. Now here is something completely different.

Top Quote
simplypeachy

Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2020-09-20, 23:57

Moving herds would look cool, but would we spend that much time watching them? I'm too busy looking for more iron face-smile.png

This feature still feels like it has no direction and IIRC the unbalancing it introduces (barbarians gain much less from this feature than the other tribes) wasn't addressed. Like the tree growth feature it sounded cool to begin with but never offered any advantages, only more code and more bugs :-\

WARNING: New-style view packet not found. There may be strange effects regarding unseen areas.
_aD on IRC

Top Quote