Currently Online

Latest Posts

Topic: Technical Ideas

the-x
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-09-14, 17:25
  • Before you get attacked, there should be a signal. Especialy in many fronts game its to late when the soldiers appeal at your tower. Then you only can cancel the build, but will lose your soldiers. Even at speed 1 this is way to hectic.

• Interface: Game should be also playable on newer resolutions like 4k, the buttons are very small

and the graphic is not compiled 4:1 from HD, it is way worse with a lot of pixels

Top Quote
Nordfriese
Version: Latest master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-09-14, 19:03

the-x wrote:

• Before you get attacked, there should be a signal. Especialy in many fronts game its to late when the soldiers appeal at your tower. Then you only can cancel the build, but will lose your soldiers.

What do you mean?

Even at speed 1 this is way to hectic.

Then play at 0.25× face-wink.png

• Interface: Game should be also playable on newer resolutions like 4k, the buttons are very small

That's on our wishlist already, but it's not trivial to implement

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Version: Recent tournament version
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-09-14, 20:54

Nordfriese wrote:

the-x wrote:

• Before you get attacked, there should be a signal. Especialy in many fronts game its to late when the soldiers appeal at your tower. Then you only can cancel the build, but will lose your soldiers.

What do you mean?

I guess he means a visual sign on the minimap, when there is an attack.

Even if he doesn't mean that it would be a nice feature, it's common in strategy games.

Wanted to save the world, then I got widetracked

Top Quote
niektory
Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2020-09-14, 20:56

WorldSavior wrote:

Even if he doesn't mean that it would be a nice feature, it's common in strategy games.

That would be useful, yes.

Top Quote
Nordfriese
Version: Latest master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-09-14, 21:10

https://github.com/widelands/widelands/issues/2074

Top Quote
the-x
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-09-16, 10:02

Even at speed 1 this is way to hectic.

Then play at 0.25× face-wink.png

I guess it is hard to set down the speed everytime you get attacked face-wink.png moreovver both players communicate then which speed they play

Its very important, cause you dont want to lose your HQ when your attacked at the other side of the map

That's on our wishlist already, but it's not trivial to implement

very nice

Top Quote
the-x
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-09-16, 10:04

WorldSavior wrote:

Nordfriese wrote:

the-x wrote:

What do you mean?

It can be

• a visual sign on the minimap

to locate where the attck is happening

• or / and a sound at the moment the enemy starts his attack, not when he is reaching the tower, because that is definitly to late

Top Quote
the-x
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-09-16, 10:17

General Ideas to the Gamespeed:

• When you get attacked you NEED the time to think and decide what you do --> Gamespeed: 0,5

especially if you get attacked at multiplie locations same time

• When you build up and wait the optimal Gamespeed is around 3-4

• It should be enjoying to watch the fights between soldiers a bit longer and there should be a difference in upgrades, not only 4

• In the beginning less woodcutters which means starting wares are not 10 woodcutters but around 4-5

-> Tools of the HQ start should be reduced, cause it is interesting to place 4-5 but bores if you do 10x the same action

-> Still not knowing but now I am favoring that buildings do not get conquered but automatically destroyed, because on tournament maps the game is over far to fast if you miss the one attack and the enemy gets the tower near all your woord production and everything is destroyed thpugh you played a reliant game conquering iron and gold and a nice economy. I am open for other Ideas face-smile.png

• For an entertaining game we need different stages which means different types of upgrades so depending on the situation there should be different results

-> you see different types of units, and not only hero and rookie

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Version: Recent tournament version
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-09-16, 22:15

the-x wrote:

General Ideas to the Gamespeed:

• When you get attacked you NEED the time to think and decide what you do --> Gamespeed: 0,5

especially if you get attacked at multiplie locations same time

• When you build up and wait the optimal Gamespeed is around 3-4

• It should be enjoying to watch the fights between soldiers a bit longer and there should be a difference in upgrades, not only 4

• In the beginning less woodcutters which means starting wares are not 10 woodcutters but around 4-5

-> Tools of the HQ start should be reduced, cause it is interesting to place 4-5 but bores if you do 10x the same action

-> Still not knowing but now I am favoring that buildings do not get conquered but automatically destroyed, because on tournament maps the game is over far to fast if you miss the one attack and the enemy gets the tower near all your woord production and everything is destroyed thpugh you played a reliant game conquering iron and gold and a nice economy. I am open for other Ideas face-smile.png

• For an entertaining game we need different stages which means different types of upgrades so depending on the situation there should be different results

-> you see different types of units, and not only hero and rookie

https://www.widelands.org/forum/topic/4948/?page=1#post-34555

the-x wrote:

• or / and a sound at the moment the enemy starts his attack,

That's not logical, because the enemy can still be unseen in this situation....

not when he is reaching the tower, because that is definitly to late

... the attack message happens when the enemy reaches your border. It would be even better if it already happens when the hostile soldiers are seen, but it could also stay like it is.

Wanted to save the world, then I got widetracked

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-09-17, 00:05

triggering the message when a soldier is seen would be good imho. But this is tricky I believe, cause we had or have alot of issues with visibility recently and we would need to determine wheter they are just moving inside the enemies territory (i.e. they are using roads) or if they are attacking.

Top Quote