Latest Posts

Topic: improve ways to fight as a team

king_of_nowhere
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-09-08, 21:51

the recent 2v2 tournament made clear some limitations of the game mechanics as far as teams are concerned. it's quite difficult to fight as a team. both players need to share the front, and at best they can both attack the same target. too often i saw my ally getting attacked just under my doorstep and i was unable to help him because the enemy buildings were out of sight, or too far. i thought a few ways to improve on this.

1) the main one, because it would be easier to implement, would be to add a new mission for soldiers: protect!

basically, just like when you click on an enemy building you can send some of your soldiers out to attack it, with this mission you would click on an allied military building, and you could send some soldiers out to protect it. those soldiers would move out, hand around for a bit, engage enemy soldiers around. they would go back if wounded or if there are no more enemy soldiers within range of the protected building.

2) gifting soldiers

sometimes there is a narrow point in the map, and you cannot share it with your ally. the best way, then, would be to support him with your troops. this may be trivial to add if the trading post is implemented. i would wait for it

3) give orders to your AI allies.

in an AI game, add some interface where you can order your AI ally to attack a target, or to protect you if my suggestion 1) is implemented.

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-09-09, 03:55
  1. Sounds doable, but I think you'd also need an option to recall the soldiers in case you get attacked yourself later on
  2. Might not be as trivial as it sounds, because e.g. attack level 2 does not mean the same for different tribes.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
JanO
Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2020-09-09, 09:01

Would it be reasonable to just add all foreign soldiers as new wares/workers/whatsoever to each tribe just like the own ones? Maybe without counting them in the statistics or count them separately.

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-09-09, 10:22

They can be loaded, no problem. However, we'd then need to change the code for military sites and battles to allow using any tribe's soldier (but not the trainingsites). And allow the warehouses to store them.

So, the implementation is possible but non-trivial and we need to be certain that we want the feature before spending the development time.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-09-09, 14:00

GunChleoc wrote:

1. Sounds doable, but I think you'd also need an option to recall the soldiers in case you get attacked yourself later on

i think it would be fine to not have that option. your soldiers are still going to come back if they can find no more opponents around the place they have to protect. and when you attack an opponent, you cannot call your soldiers back until they are done, so i see no reason to not have the same behavior

1. Might not be as trivial as it sounds, because e.g. attack level 2 does not mean the same for different tribes.

JanO wrote:

Would it be reasonable to just add all foreign soldiers as new wares/workers/whatsoever to each tribe just like the own ones? Maybe without counting them in the statistics or count them separately.

yes, i was thinking something like jano suggested. which is not trivial, but doesn't sound a big deal compared to implementing a trading post in the first place. which is why i called it something for the long term

Top Quote
JanO
Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2020-09-09, 18:51

I think this is worth the effort. It would be the first real multiplayer feature for widelands. A milestone, so to say.
Once trading will be implemented, there will be people asking why only wares can be traded.

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-09-09, 19:24

Well, I was surprised that no team chose the shared in start option as most of them played atlanteans anyway

Top Quote