Topic: Build21 unable to launch

Heihella
Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2020-09-08, 14:06

Nordfriese wrote:

Moin Heihella and welcome in the forums face-smile.png

Could you try starting Widelands from commandline and copy-paste the standard output? How to do this is described here: https://www.widelands.org/wiki/How%20to%20Write%20a%20Good%20Bug%20Report/#7-reporting-a-crash

I opened Widelands.exe with a command promt and respective "1>stdout.txt" and so on. Well, stdout.txt only have this now:

"This is Widelands Version 1.0~git24848[510e7cd@HEAD] (Release)

Log output will be written to: C:\Users\Gravier.widelands\stdout.txt"

and stderr.txt is empty. Not sure if launching with a command prompt did anything to .txt files or it's empty because there was no crash. Or I missed something.

About this red mess though: I tried to reinstall my NVIDIA GeForce 410M graphics drivers through "device manager" (I'm not sure how it's called in English version of W7, I'm from Russia), but Windows automatic search told me that the drivers are of the latest version and it wouldn't do it. And asked me to reboot for some reason idk, so it DID something.. But nothing's changed about the game. So I assume it's not the case. Gonna keep looking for what else I can reinstall from the list Nordfriese suggested. Will take some time though, I'm not used to those specific terms and actions, googling much new stuff for me now.

Top Quote
Heihella
Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2020-09-08, 14:09

Nordfriese wrote:

Does it look similar to this? https://github.com/widelands/widelands/issues/3887

It sounds like an issue with your OpenGL installation, the driver, and/or a hardware-specific bug; Widelands's standard output would also be useful.

Users need to have posted 5 posts in the forums before the Attachments function becomes available, so just write two more posts and then you can upload images face-wink.png

Ok, here it goes: it's kinda like it, but with even more red stuff and lines.

graphics.png

Edited: 2020-09-08, 14:11

Attachment:
graphics.png

Top Quote
Heihella
Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2020-09-08, 15:33

Nordfriese wrote:

Does it look similar to this? https://github.com/widelands/widelands/issues/3887

It sounds like an issue with your OpenGL installation, the driver, and/or a hardware-specific bug; Widelands's standard output would also be useful.

Users need to have posted 5 posts in the forums before the Attachments function becomes available, so just write two more posts and then you can upload images face-wink.png

As far as I understand by searching OpenGL isn't something I can reinstall, right? The only things I can download are some .DLL's or text files. Or should I put them anywhere?

Top Quote
Heihella
Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2020-09-08, 15:36

niektory wrote:

Does build20 work fine on the same machine?

Reinstalled build20 and nope, there's the same error message as in the first post about bytes and drivers

btw, here's copypaste from build20 stdout.txt: it worked here for some reason.. maybe because files are in different places now

This is Widelands Version build-20 (Release)
Set home directory: C:\Users\Gravier\.widelands
Widelands executable directory: C:\Users\Gravier\AppData\Local\Widelands
Adding directory: C:\Users\Gravier\AppData\Local\Widelands\data
selected language: (system language)
Graphics: Try to set Videomode 800x600
Graphics: OpenGL: Version "3.1.0 - Build 9.17.10.4229"
Graphics: SDL_GL_RED_SIZE is 0
Graphics: SDL_GL_GREEN_SIZE is 0
Graphics: SDL_GL_BLUE_SIZE is 0
Graphics: SDL_GL_ALPHA_SIZE is 0
Graphics: SDL_GL_BUFFER_SIZE is 0
Graphics: SDL_GL_DOUBLEBUFFER is 1
Graphics: SDL_GL_DEPTH_SIZE is 0
Graphics: SDL_GL_STENCIL_SIZE is 0
Graphics: SDL_GL_ACCUM_RED_SIZE is 16
Graphics: SDL_GL_ACCUM_GREEN_SIZE is 16
Graphics: SDL_GL_ACCUM_BLUE_SIZE is 16
Graphics: SDL_GL_ACCUM_ALPHA_SIZE is 16
Graphics: SDL_GL_STEREO is 0
Graphics: SDL_GL_MULTISAMPLEBUFFERS is 0
Graphics: SDL_GL_MULTISAMPLESAMPLES is 0
Graphics: SDL_GL_ACCELERATED_VISUAL is 1
Graphics: SDL_GL_CONTEXT_MAJOR_VERSION is 2
Graphics: SDL_GL_CONTEXT_MINOR_VERSION is 1
Graphics: SDL_GL_CONTEXT_FLAGS is 0
Graphics: SDL_GL_CONTEXT_PROFILE_MASK is 2
Graphics: SDL_GL_SHARE_WITH_CURRENT_CONTEXT is 0
Graphics: SDL_GL_FRAMEBUFFER_SRGB_CAPABLE is 0
Graphics: OpenGL: Double buffering enabled
Graphics: OpenGL: Max texture size: 8192
Graphics: OpenGL: ShadingLanguage: "1.40 - Intel Build 9.17.10.4229"
**** GRAPHICS REPORT ****
 VIDEO DRIVER windows
 pixel fmt 353701890
 size 800 600
**** END GRAPHICS REPORT ****
ERROR: SDL should report 4 bytes per pixel, but 2 were reported instead.
Please check that everything's OK with your graphics driver.

Also worths mentioning: I don't remember exactly and afraid to mislead, but something in the back of my had made me recall after you asked about build20 that I might encountered some relative problems long ago but didn't even bother digging or didn't pay attention and just played something else. Not sure but I think it could even be build19, because it did launch. And it DID work just fine before on this same laptop but has been corrupted later. I'm afraid I started a bad guess-game. Sorry for such a lack of facts.

Edited: 2020-09-09, 03:50

Top Quote
niektory
Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2020-09-08, 15:50

Could you check what is the color depth setting of your monitor and try changing it to True Color (32 bit) if it's different?

Follow the instructions here: https://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/258-color-bit-depth-display-settings.html

Top Quote
Heihella
Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2020-09-08, 16:07

niektory wrote:

Could you check what is the color depth setting of your monitor and try changing it to True Color (32 bit) if it's different?

Follow the instructions here: https://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/258-color-bit-depth-display-settings.html

Ha-ha! Bravo! Build20 works without any troubles now! I can see the reason of "corruption" if my previous misterious story with build19 was true face-grin.png

Thanks, Niektory and all others!

Edited: build21 also works without an issue now!

Edited: 2020-09-08, 16:20

Top Quote
niektory
Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2020-09-08, 20:52

Bug: Too low color depth, broken graphics #4241

Top Quote