Latest Posts

Topic: Limit number of wares per warehouse

Nordfriese
Version: Latest master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-09-07, 11:46

If there are no warehouses you have lost and no longer need to care what happens to your economy because the other players will burn it down soon.

Top Quote
niektory
Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2020-09-07, 16:20

Nordfriese wrote:

-1 from me. I consider it a feature that you can store any amount of wares in warehouses. Such a change would force me to either micromanage all my wells, woodcutters etc, which I currently just let run always so I amass huge amounts of water, logs etc; or to keep a permanent eye on my stock load and build new warehouses all the time. And the latter would actually make transport necessarily much worse because unneeded wares (like masses of water) would have to be brought to a far-away warehouse when the closer ones are full. So micromanaging everything to avoid choking roads everywhere would be the only doable option then. No thanks.

Including all wares in the economy settings would solve that issue I think. And it would work even better together with Configure economy for each warehouse separately. face-wink.png

Edited: 2020-09-07, 16:23

Top Quote
Nordfriese
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-09-07, 16:57

It would. But I still don't see any reason why this change would be desirable, except as a mod.

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-09-07, 19:50

What happens if you missed it and all your warehouses and flags are full? You then need to build a new warehouse, and if you're missing some building material, that's it, permanently deadlocked.

Things were different in Siedler III where wares would remain at the productionsite until a carrier came to fetch them and there were no flags or roads to manage.

Can some of what you desire for the Europeans be achieved by setting target ware quantities for wares that normally don't have them, e.g. logs, plus "return skipped unless economy needs log" in the productionsite program?

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
Nordfriese
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-09-07, 19:53

A starting condition that frequently deletes all wares above a certain threshold in warehouses would do the trick wouldn't it? Like Trading Outpost in reverse face-wink.png

Edited: 2020-09-07, 19:54

Top Quote
JanO
Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2020-09-07, 20:49

Maybe it would be enough if economy target quantities would be limited to values like 128*n where n==number of warehouses?

Top Quote
MarkMcWire
Topic Opener
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2020-09-07, 21:52

Can some of what you desire for the Europeans be achieved by setting target ware quantities for wares that normally don't have them, e.g. logs, plus "return skipped unless economy needs log" in the productionsite program?

No, that was actually intended to solve the problem. I originally gave all ware a target_quantity and then designed the production programs in such a way that production is stopped immediately as soon as these values are exceeded. However, this then led to the problem that my woodcutters and stonemasons stopped their work as soon as wood and stone had reached their target value and I could not "clean up" the map any further for new buildings. That's why I then gave all of my production buildings an idle program, which completely ignores the economy status. So even when the target_quantity is reached, the buildings continue to produce, but only with long breaks in between.

But the basic problem is different. I like to play maps with seafaring. As soon as I have conquered a new island, I will set up my own industry there with all the necessary buildings. However, this means that the warehouse are filled very unevenly. Certain wares such as wood accumulate on island A, but the sawmills and charcoal burners on island B are running empty. Even if there are sawmills and charcoal burners on island A and woodcutters on island B. I tested this once:

5 lumberjacks, 2 sawmills and 2 charcoal burners on both islands Nevertheless, wood runs empty on one island and accumulates on the other island.

My goal is to force the game to balance wares between islands. As soon as the warehouses on island A are full, the goods should be transported directly to island B.

My widelands project: https://github.com/widelands/wl_addons_server/tree/master/addons/europeans_tribe.wad

Top Quote
MarkMcWire
Topic Opener
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2020-09-07, 21:55

JanO wrote:

Maybe it would be enough if economy target quantities would be limited to values like 128*n where n==number of warehouses?

Yes, basically. Every warehouse has functions such as outsourcing, preferential storage and no storage. This can be activated manually via the user interface.

I would like the storage lock to be set automatically when a warehouse is "full". Either only for the ware that have exceeded their target value or for the entire warehouse if the sum of the wares has exceeded its target value.

My widelands project: https://github.com/widelands/wl_addons_server/tree/master/addons/europeans_tribe.wad

Top Quote
JanO
Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2020-09-08, 23:35

But that would not be solved by my proposal.
I understood you in a way, that you dislike the concept of unlimited storage capacity. With the additional limit that I was talking of, you - in theory - can still have unlimited storage in one single warehouse. You simply build very plenty of them but deliver all ware only to one of them.
If your main goal is to have better control over the distribution of wares in the economy, we need something different. But I wonder why the existing function does not satisfy you. Whenever I used it (was not too often), it worked pretty efficient.

Top Quote