Latest Posts

Topic: Configure economy for each warehouse separately.

treehugger
Topic Opener
Version: 1.0
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2020-09-06, 20:43

As a barbarian I find it very difficult to manage the amounts of goods between warehouses. I also find it a bit strange to click on a flag, then crossed flags, to configure the amount of wanted goods for the economy.

To me it is much more logical to combine these two, meaning:

Remove the option (or keep as generalization in some form) the target amount for the whole economy, but instead configure these for each warehouse separately. In this way, if you build a warehouse in a remote location, and set a target for for example 30 stones or 20 blackwood, then wherever the the stonemasons and wood hardeners are, they'll start production to try to fill the warehouse.

Top Quote
niektory
Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2020-09-06, 20:56

Yes, this would be very useful.

Top Quote
Nordfriese
Version: Latest master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-09-06, 21:26

Moin treehugger and welcome to the forum face-smile.png

This change does sound useful but it would have some unintended side effects. What values should a new warehouse be initialized with? If they are non-zero, the construction of a warehouse would trigger the production of wares just for storage. Zero-initialization would mean that no wares will be actually stored there until the amounts at other warehouses reach the respective targets.

Often I only want a certain stock of wares but do not care much where they are stored. This situation can only be achieved with the current concept of target quantities. You can already use the warehouse policy buttons to set warehouses that store a certain ware with preference, or refuse to store it, allowing you e.g. to store building materials near the borders.

If we want to be able to set minimum stocks for each warehouse individually, we would therefore need to implement this in addition to the economy-wide target settings, but not replace those. However having the economy targets, the ware preferences and per-warehouse stock targets (which would also need to be kept around so you can control the storage of wares that are amassed in very large quantities, like water or reed) would make for a cluttered-up UI that offers too many choices and options and seems confusing to new players IMHO. So all in all I'm against this change.

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-09-07, 19:29

I think adding an economy button to warehouses would be useful, so that the economy is not just accessible from its flags. This would still allow for selection without needing to find a warehouse, but make the economy settings more intuitive to reach for new players. Or maybe ditch the flag action and add the button to all buildings?

Edited: 2020-09-07, 19:41

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
Nordfriese
Version: Latest master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-09-07, 19:33

I lost count of how often the economy options button's location was discussed face-grin.png

We must not remove the possibility to configure targets for economies that consist only of flags, which is very valuable for debugging sometimes. Not sure if having this button in milsites and productionsites really makes sense. Perhaps we could add it to warehouses in addition to flags – but let's not forget that buildingwindows already have lots of other buttons as well…

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-09-07, 19:42

Nordfriese wrote:

I lost count of how often the economy options button's location was discussed face-grin.png

Probably as often as the RNG allegedly "cheating" on the Battle for Wesnoth forums face-tongue.png

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
nilpotent
Ranking
Just found this site
Posted at: 2021-08-17, 06:04

I hope it isn't bad form to cross-post in this way, but I have just created an alternative proposal. I came here a few months ago, intending to make a suggestion almost exactly like yours, but after giving it some more thought I came up with something slightly different. I implemented an algorithm for redistributing wares among warehouses but haven't integrated it into the game yet. I thought it might be good to allow people to compare the two proposals.

Top Quote